Video Series: Getting in close (Engaging opponents armed with BVR missiles using only short-range weapons)

Doc3908

In this series, I want to explore/practice getting in close for a gun kill or an IR missile shot while evading BVR missiles. Lately, I have been focusing mostly on my guns-only dogfighting skills and have completely ignored missile evasion. Time to correct this issue.

The first video in the series puts me in the cockpit of an Su-27 going up against an F-15C. Low altitude, running and hiding in the hills until his AIM120s are gone, then merging for the kill. (The next video will show a different approach using standard f-pole.) 

Edited by Doc3908
video links are gone post forum update

The second video starts at (medium-)high altitude (24000ft/7300m) and initial separation of 24km. The first two engagements are virtually identical - against an F-16 and an F-18 armed with a pair of AIM120Cs and a pair of AIM9Ms. The third one is against an F-4E armed with four AIM7s and two AIM9s. All opponents are AI set to veteran. In each case, my Su-27 is armed only with a pair of R-73s (and a gun, of course).  

In the third video, the stakes are higher. I'm flying my trusty old Su-27 armed with R-73s against F-16C and F-15C AI ("veteran") opponents armed with four AIM120Cs and two AIM9Ms. Initial separation is 24km, initial altitude - 24000ft/7300m. After the first two AIM120Cs are defeated, I'm on the deck and the bandit is still high and fast and much closer - 7km or so. A large dose of LUCK is needed... (I'm showing only three successful engagements. My record currently is 4 successes and 7 defeats...)

Anyway, hope you enjoy the video.

• Doc3908 changed the title to Video Series: Getting in close (Engaging opponents armed with BVR missiles using only short-range weapons)

The next video is about Su-27 engaging F-15 and and F-16 at lower altitude (6500ft/2000m). This is easy against the AI, but still fun. 

Next up - MiG-21 vs. F-16. This one is more of a guessing game (When did he fire? What did he fire?), but there is some method to the madness. Frustrating and fun at the same time. 

Why fight only one superior opponent, when you can engage two? 🙂 In this video, I'm flying a MiG-29C (i.e. 'S') armed only with two  R-73s. My opponents are two F/A-18Cs, each armed with two AIM-120C and two AIM-9M. The F/A-18s are flown by AI set to "veteran". We start at the same altitude (6500ft/2000m), 24km apart. The goal is to goad the F/A-18s into firing all their AIM120Cs, defeat the missiles, then engage the bandits in close with the R-73s and the gun.

Edited by Doc3908

Ok, so AMRAAMS are deadly but manageable. What about the AIM-54? This was my first attempt to learn to dodge Phoenixes, and I have to say I'm not impressed. Seems the AIM-54 is way too easy to beat - I don't think that's very realistic. As you will see in the video, I flew three rounds and won all three, with AIM-54 mk.60s fired at me at different ranges (from 35km to point-blank). I'm not doing anything fancy, so I'd call it luck, but I keep flying the same mission (probably 7-8 times now), and the AIM-54s always seem to lose me. The AIM-120Cs certainly appear much more deadly.

• 2 weeks later...

The MiG-29 is more than match for the JF-17 - even when carrying only short-range missiles. How about something more challenging: F-5E vs. JF-17? As usual, the F-5E carries two AIM-9Ps and the JF-17 is "fully loaded" - two SD-10s and two PL-5EIIs.