FPS crash when using FLIR

I have a new issue whereby when I switch to using the FLIR, my FPS crash. I am running external mfd screens from cubesim, but have had these running perfectly with no performance issues for months now.....it is 100% tied to the export of the mfd screens, as if I dont use them, in the sim, it does not happen. However it only happens if I use the FLIR, all other screens in radar and moving map, it all works fine......

any ideas please?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

hornet and harrier....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Is there no one from ED who can comment on this and likely cause? Its extremely frustrating to have invested in peripherals and to spend ages getting them set up and getting them working properly for a couple of months only to have them suddenly hit with an issue that makes them un useable......It must be a DCS issue somewhere, as this only started happening after the last update and is plainly tied in some way to to the export of data to the MFD screens via the lua files? 

Thanks....

Hi Flappie thanks, its not mission specific, here some files that may hopefully throw some light

FPS.trk DCS-BIOS.log dcs.log Export.lua

do these all need to from right after when it happened? as some of them are not, as I am running without the screens while I try and resolve this...

Edited by markturner1960

29 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

do these all need to from right after when it happened? as some of them are not, as I am running without the screens while I try and resolve this...

The log files are of better help when they show the actual crash, yes.

So far, I can only tell you you're having an error with your DCS-BIOS scripts (it happens 29 times in 40 minutes) :

2020-12-04 20:51:27.145 ERROR   Lua::Config: Call error LuaExportAfterNextFrame:[string "C:\Users\Mark Gun House\AppData\Roaming\DCS-BIOS\Plugins\module-commondata\CommonData.lua"]:26: attempt to index local 'selfData' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	[string "C:\Users\Mark Gun House\AppData\Roaming\DCS-BIOS\Plugins\module-commondata\CommonData.lua"]:26: in function 'v'
	[string "C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\lib\Protocol.lua"]:169: in function 'step'
	[string "C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\BIOS.lua"]:85: in function <[string "C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\BIOS.lua"]:83>.

It seems you need to update DCS-BIOS. Backup your DCS-BIOS configuration files and install the latest version of DCS-BIOS.

By the way, your track doesn't show a AV-8B, but a tanker.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

OK, HERE IS THE SAME FILES RIGHT AFTER A SMALL FLIGHT SHOWING THE ISSUE. CAN YOU ( ooops, sorry for the caps....) see a FRAPS overlay when replaying a track? if not, as soon as i select FLIR, FPS goes from 115 or so to 15. and goes back up when I turn it off.

Export.lua dcs.log DCS-BIOS.log FPS2.trk

went to the linked post but did not really understand the content....

do I need to uninstall DSBios first? and where are the saved config files? sorry, new to this stuff....

Edited by markturner1960

I was assuming you knew DCS-BIOS better than me, since I've never installed it. 😄 I have no clue which files you need to backup. Have you ever customized it?

The DCS tracks don't record your video output.they only record what happens in the game. It means I will not be able to see your FRAPS overlay.

I tried reproducing your issue but I don't own the Hornet: I'm unable to see the FLIR screen. Can you please make a new track using the AV-8B? I own this one. Then I will be able to tell you if I also get low FPS or not.

Hi Flappie,  will do,  although, how does you viewing my track make your system duplicate the issue? Is the track not a simple recording? I know enough of DCS bios to 9nstall it to get my Tekcreations UFC working as per the instructions!!

I don’t think you can reproduce the issue as a bug, I think it’s something specific to my machine and set up otherwise loads of people would be complaining. And as I said, it’s only a problem when I use my extra screens and the custom .lua file. If I just use my normal monitor ,no problems. To reproduce, you would also need to have the extra screens etc.....

Done, no difference, issue still present....do the logs etc tell nothing?

Not that I see. The only way that I know of to "see" stutters through the log are lines showing the sound couldn't be rendered because the CPU was too busy, but you don't seem to have those.

If you keep having the error above in your dcs.log, you should try reinstalling the "module-commondata" plugin.

See, your log error deals with a 'v' function at line 26. In the latest version of this plugin's "CommonData.lua" file, there's nothing at line 26.

Ok, thanks, how should I do that , run a repair?

ok, I un installed dcs bios, and still have the issue, so can say its probably not to do with that?

OK for DCS-BIOS.

I see you have the WinWing script loaded in your Export.lua. Try commenting it, then see if FLIR still hurts your FPS.

Comment the 2 first lines of your Export.lua:

--local wwtlfs=require('lfs')
--dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

Then add this line for SimShaker, at line 3:

local lfs=require('lfs')

I'm taking this post as an example. It was about WinWing eating CPU cycles.

Hi Flappie, the latest update has changed things. While it has essentially started behaving as it should do, and despite the frame rate counter saying differently, there are still delays and some stutter in the feed to the MFD, IE scrolling using the TDC is tricky as there is a delay in input .....also head tracking becomes quite in smooth. 

so the update has rectified the issue, but not completely. I would say from a bug tracking viewpoint, there is something still going on detrimental to performance when using the sim in these parameters.

I am going to check the .lua file as you indicated, thank you.

• 2 months later...