[NO BUG]TGP + AGM65F - Impossible to lock MOVING TARGET

jed40

With AGM65F (IR), if I use TGP, I can't transfer my locked target to AGM65F seeker. When my moving target is locked on TGP, I change SOI MFD to Maverick. The seeker uncage but look at the original locking point and not at the locked target. As is take few seconds the target is gone and seeker can't lock it... I tried many time without success. It works perfectly with static target. I don't know if it's a bug, but it's really impossible to use like that.

Sorry if this has been already reported...

F-18-AGM65F-TGP.trk

In your track, you never waited till the MAVERICK was IN RANGE. Also, you need to hit TDC DEPRESS after the POINT TRACK. You will see the Offset Cursor Cross in the box. If you don't do this, it won't track and the MAV will aim at the original spot. Sometimes you have to get even closer before it LOCKS.

I had this problem as well last night (STABLE VERSION) against a Tarantul Corvette. Has worked in the past against both ships and vehicles. Meant to test with a Vehicle to see if it was just a ship/contrast issue, but I was able to use the MAV seeker itself to get a lock on the ship.

Just tried it in OB. Slightly different approach. I got an FTT track on an ARMED speedboat with Radar. Handed it off to MAV-F. Had to CAGE/UNCAGE a couple of times before I got the flickering LOCK/UNLOCK like used to happen with all targets. Got the Mav off the rails by pickling during a LOCK flicker.

Then tried against moving APC'S using VVSLV FLIR Point Track. Took me awhile to get the Point Track in the attached TRK, and in this case the MAV locked fine even before TTMR countdown was done. Seem to have constant issues with Boats and Ships, though..

MAV-F_Boat_Flicker.trk

MAV-F_APC_Mover..trk

Thank you Recluse for your reply.

first I confirm I have hit TDC DEPRESS after getting IR tracking. It's difficult to see on the track file, but it was done. I tried again today at less than 10nm and it's always same issue. The maverick seeker try to lock something at the exact position where I hit the TDC DEPRESS. This is why it works for static target. But for moving target it does not follow the tracking position of TGP.

Edit : After different test I found the way to use it. The Maverick seeker MUST BE UNCAGED before using TGP. At this time when TGP is locked on TGT when we shift to Maverick display, the Maverick seeker locked the target.

• ED Team

Hi

I have marked this as no bug, it is important to be in range before handing off otherwise the mav seeker will have trouble locking, especially on moving targets.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

I have marked this as no bug, it is important to be in range before handing off otherwise the mav seeker will have trouble locking, especially on moving targets.

Hi Bignewy,

thx for reply.

I did test today again, and I tried at 8nm from target and the locking transfer from TGP to Maverick seeker does not work if the Maverick is Caged when you Depress TDC...

If the Maverick is uncaged it seems to work...

Can someone post a short vid showing the handoff of a FLIR locked moving target to a 'slaved' MavF, at 4 or 5 nm or... even from a longer distance with MavF just 'slaving around' without a lock then showing a lock and a firing solution, just like MavE when slaved follows the Tpod without a lock and as soon as it sees the laser spot it locks on it.

Hi Gripes,

See my track above MAV-F_APC_Mover. Maybe it won't show what you want as the MAV-F was not "Slaving around" but did lock to the target when uncaged.

FYI, I recorded the TRK in the latest Open Beta. When I replayed it in the STABLE version, the MAV-F NEVER LOCKED or fired. Replayed in OB, and everything worked as I remembered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jed40,

Have you found a reliable way to handover from the TGP to the AGM-65F seeker? I'm getting the impression you may have been onto something with your original bug report. As per this thread I've tried the following sequence. Uncaging the Maverick, switching back to the TGP & locking up a moving target in point track, when in range Depress TDC, then switch back to the AGM seeker & wait for it to lock on. 

I've been trying this against targets such as moving T-72s and APCs. If the AGM-65F seeker aligns quickly to the target I have had some luck. However I have also seen the following:

1. I have the lead vehicle in a group of three locked up & by the time the Maverick seeker moves to the target position it picks up the trailer instead.

2. I lock up the trailer and by the time the Maverick seeker moves to the target position it is pointing at empty ground behind the last vehicle and I can see the vehicle group driving away through the Maverick seeker. 

I also note that during the last multiplayer session I took part in I was using AGM-65Fs without a TGP and they were working fine. Some of my squad mates however were trying to use them with TGPs and there was a lot of cussing going on.

I am using the current Open Beta.  

I have added a track file showing what I am seeing (please don't use accelerated time as it seems to mess up the replay). I used VVSLV with the TGP to lock on to the last member of a group of moving T-72s. Maverick is uncaged in advance. On confirming in range the TDC is depressed and by the time the AGM-65F seeker slews into position it is looking at the empty ground behind the T-72s. 

After this I switch SOI back to the TGP, pressed TDC again, then switched SOI back to the AGM-65F seeker. On this second attempt, the Maverick does obtain a lock and a successful launch is made. I suspect that perhaps the second attempt is successful because the first unsuccessful attempt gets the seeker looking in the right direction and it does not have to slew for very long before the target comes into view. 

AGM-65F.trk

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 6:25 AM, Gripes323 said:

Can someone post a short vid showing the handoff of a FLIR locked moving target to a 'slaved' MavF, at 4 or 5 nm or... even from a longer distance with MavF just 'slaving around' without a lock then showing a lock and a firing solution, just like MavE when slaved follows the Tpod without a lock and as soon as it sees the laser spot it locks on it.

I tested this again today on 2 movers. I could lock them in PTRK from about 15nm. That's fine but the MavF wouldn't slave. Yea, once I was within Mavs range it did snap to it. Well, actually it snapped to the wrong vehicle but flipping SCS back to FLIR, pressing TDC again and going back to Mav page did it. The Mav followed the correct target.

When MavF is getting a handoff from radar lock on a moving ground or sea target, it slaves properly immediately. Of course we have to be in Mav's range to get a firing solution. Its own seeker probably locks on the contrast slightly before that (zoom level matters).

FLIR handoff clip:

1 hour ago, dorianR666 said:

in yesterdays wags video, wags locks a target in GMT AG radar mode and the designation follows the moving target. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGy19WNRiYA)

it indeed must be a bug that TGP PTRK does NOT follow the moving target.

Yea, I saw that and... it was possible to do already without a 'true' GMT mode. Now, the FLIR needs to get the same powers over MavF 👍

https://youtu.be/7BMa0FcbN-8

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I did some test again, and I'm still in trouble with TGP + Mav IR. I join 2 tracks to compare TGP+IR Mav on FA-18 and on A-10CII... That's very clear for me. It works perfectly on static target, but on real moving target, the IR seeker stay where the target has been designated and does not follow the target that is gone... With A-10C it's just perfect...

Another interesting point with the Hornet TGP is the sequence to Sel a target. First TDC press is Area Track and we need a Second press to get Point Track, and a third press to uncage TGP seeker. That mean to sel a moving tgt we need 2 press on TDC and if we miss, 3 press to come back to Point Track... It's just crazy not so easy to use. The Logical sequence shoud be Point Trk - Area Trk and uncage...

FA18-moving target-Mav IR.trk A10C2-moving target-Mav IR.trk

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi

Hi @BIGNEWY, please could you take a look at the above post and let me know what your feeling about that. Both track has been made with active pause at 6nm of target. The problem is not the distance from target.

Thank you for your support.