SliderCDN - Random CTD, unable to start

SliderCDN

@StevanJ I did reboot after turning services off the way you told me. I am using OBS to record these videos, SteelSeries is for my headset to work, but I'll disable it all and try again.

@XPACT is that related to Defender? Honestly, I feel like I have more problems with Defender than I did with AVG before 😛 

56 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

@XPACT is that related to Defender? Honestly, I feel like I have more problems with Defender than I did with AVG before 😛 

It is but that is third video in the second video there is no MsMpEng.exe and it still didn't work 😕

1 hour ago, SliderCDN said:

Yup, did what you guys said and no change.

First set all details to low. The lowest possible. RETRY
Run as admin RETRY

Download this and install. RETRY
Reinstall all sound drivers from the Asus website.
Going through every log, video and post- Asus and Sound is the only link thats constant.
Delete in Savegames/DCS your "fxo" and "metashaders" folder RETRY.

Then turn look at your Event log and see what thats reporting..

Edited by StevanJ

2 hours ago, StevanJ said:

First set all details to low. The lowest possible. RETRY
Run as admin RETRY

Download this and install. RETRY
Reinstall all sound drivers from the Asus website.
Going through every log, video and post- Asus and Sound is the only link thats constant.
Delete in Savegames/DCS your "fxo" and "metashaders" folder RETRY.

Then turn look at your Event log and see what thats reporting..

I shall try. Is there any way of completely removing audio drivers so I can start on clean slate?

Done all the steps you suggested, no difference.

Event Viewer errors from 2 start attempts.

Fault bucket 1953256185500942995, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DCS.exe
P2: 2.5.6.61527
P3: 602ab488
P4: edCore.dll
P5: 2.5.6.61527
P6: 6022e3b3
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000007ad104
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6C.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6C.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7C.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_DCS.exe_aef4d9db4cc15753a6aefca17ca4ac355ecc6eb_4b6202f0_f0e7d815-df0f-4c53-88af-800d46433016

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 9fdf515a-0b8b-413c-a9ef-e8a21a3eff64
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: c0bc7de57ce2071c8b1b5c26e41e4293
Cab Guid: 0

---

Fault bucket 1830732206033590639, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DCS.exe
P2: 2.5.6.61527
P3: 602ab488
P4: World.dll
P5: 2.5.6.61527
P6: 6022e3d2
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000667dc5
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAD9B.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF23.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF24.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF31.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF32.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_DCS.exe_383b7e9bf365ad9f69c9a7ee4b6529a06044f3a0_4b6202f0_6cd18d17-8331-4e03-9ccb-fde27b9f65f7

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: ffe76c31-b6da-4a36-96a2-ec501a592b2b
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 77b4217b081914e47968113de37fd96f
Cab Guid: 0

---

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.5.6.61527, time stamp: 0x602ab488
Faulting module name: edCore.dll, version: 2.5.6.61527, time stamp: 0x6022e3b3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000007ad104
Faulting process id: 0x1184
Faulting application start time: 0x01d72ce09f79d7b8
Faulting application path: D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\edCore.dll
Report Id: 9fdf515a-0b8b-413c-a9ef-e8a21a3eff64
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

---

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.5.6.61527, time stamp: 0x602ab488
Faulting module name: World.dll, version: 2.5.6.61527, time stamp: 0x6022e3d2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000667dc5
Faulting process id: 0x1fd4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d72ce06b7bbdd2
Faulting application path: D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\World.dll
Report Id: ffe76c31-b6da-4a36-96a2-ec501a592b2b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edited by SliderCDN

Hi @SliderCDN. It occured to me I've never asked you to rename your "Saved Games\DCS". If you've never tried it, please give it a go:

1. Go to "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\".
  2. Rename "DCS" as "DCS_backup" (do NOT delete it: it contains your custom controls).
  3. Start the game, wait for main menu, then exit the game: it has created a fresh "DCS" folder.
  4. Go to "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS_backup\Config\Input", copy all its content, then paste it into "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input". Your custom settings are back.
  5. Launch DCS and see how things are going.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

4 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Hi @SliderCDN. It occured to me I've never asked you to rename your "Saved Games\DCS". If you've never tried it, please give it a go:

1. Go to "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\".
  2. Rename "DCS" as "DCS_backup" (do NOT delete it: it contains your custom controls).
  3. Start the game, wait for main menu, then exit the game: it has created a fresh "DCS" folder.
  4. Go to "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS_backup\Config\Input", copy all its content, then paste it into "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input". Your custom settings are back.
  5. Launch DCS and see how things are going.

It was suggested and it was one of the things I've tried. My controls aren't much different from default, so I've eliminated the possibility of those files being corrupted too somehow by just deleting them. Did not help.

Step 5 is pretty far fetched idea considering the game only starts about 5% of the attempts I make and when it does, it runs for maybe few minutes until CTD without error or log.

I've done a complete reinstall 3 times over last 2 days (fast internet helps) where I deleted all traces of DCS on my system, shut the PC down completely for few minutes, restarted and installed. No difference.

Installing Steam version made no difference, still starts only about 5% of time, all other attempts results in nothing logged and no errors, just silence and when it does start, it runs for few minutes before CTD without error or log. I've removed Steam version.

Can you open regedit (Registry Editor) and tell me what value is assigned to LoadAppInit_DLLs it should be 0 by default

Here is location where you can find it

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

4 hours ago, SliderCDN said:

It was suggested and it was one of the things I've tried. My controls aren't much different from default, so I've eliminated the possibility of those files being corrupted too somehow by just deleting them. Did not help.

Step 5 is pretty far fetched idea considering the game only starts about 5% of the attempts I make and when it does, it runs for maybe few minutes until CTD without error or log.

I've done a complete reinstall 3 times over last 2 days (fast internet helps) where I deleted all traces of DCS on my system, shut the PC down completely for few minutes, restarted and installed. No difference.

Installing Steam version made no difference, still starts only about 5% of time, all other attempts results in nothing logged and no errors, just silence and when it does start, it runs for few minutes before CTD without error or log. I've removed Steam version.

Try working on your registry as Xpact says.
If you can at least keep reporting the .DLL's then ill happily keep looking for a solution.
CCleaner might help clean the registry too.
No matter how many times you reinstall DCS, the game wont start because of a conflict within your system.

Sadly for your error logs, all i can find are solutions that revolve around the uninstall of third-party software thats causing a conflict.

Weve tried a few things and were hitting walls.
Everything points to be an issue with a conflict in software on your system, it could be an update, it could be a driver, it could be an old mod thats not been properly deleted.

Unless you physically sit down and spend time putting a plan together, youre going to be stuck -until you choose to create a new partition on your SSD, and reinstall everything from scratch.

Start by lowering your settings to the lowest and work from there, i know you tried it, but i see from the steam log you put all of your settings to high in that one. Youre going to have to stop swapping and changing and stick to constants in order to find changes in patterns.
The idea being that if by lowering your settings permanently they difference in game causes 'less crashes' (As its pulling less resources), youll know that youre making progress.
And if nothing changes, youll know youll more than likely have issues with Windows itself.

i tried to help earlier in this thread and just ran across it again. i see that windows has had "fresh installs" multiple times. correct? can you describe how you do this? there are many ways to do an install of windows. another thought, if you are indeed doing a fresh install of windows, what are the commonalities afterwards. it points to hardware. do you have the ability to use a fresh drive to reinstall windows (you can do a trial for testing), install all the mfg drivers, gfx drivers, dcs. i am just wondering if each time you do a fresh install you are dragging trash along. when i first got my previous computer, my gfx was messed up bad and got CTD pretty much every time with DCS. all other games had no issues. i finally replaced my gfx card. it was a 1070 and went to 1080. when i was installing the latest drivers i saw reference to an old DLL being replaced. it was very old. once it was all done i never had another CTD.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 hours ago, XPACT said:

Can you open regedit (Registry Editor) and tell me what value is assigned to LoadAppInit_DLLs it should be 0 by default

Here is location where you can find it

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Already checked, it's 0.

2 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Try working on your registry as Xpact says.
If you can at least keep reporting the .DLL's then ill happily keep looking for a solution.
CCleaner might help clean the registry too.
No matter how many times you reinstall DCS, the game wont start because of a conflict within your system.

Sadly for your error logs, all i can find are solutions that revolve around the uninstall of third-party software thats causing a conflict.

Weve tried a few things and were hitting walls.
Everything points to be an issue with a conflict in software on your system, it could be an update, it could be a driver, it could be an old mod thats not been properly deleted.

Unless you physically sit down and spend time putting a plan together, youre going to be stuck -until you choose to create a new partition on your SSD, and reinstall everything from scratch.

Start by lowering your settings to the lowest and work from there, i know you tried it, but i see from the steam log you put all of your settings to high in that one. Youre going to have to stop swapping and changing and stick to constants in order to find changes in patterns.
The idea being that if by lowering your settings permanently they difference in game causes 'less crashes' (As its pulling less resources), youll know that youre making progress.
And if nothing changes, youll know youll more than likely have issues with Windows itself.

I never used mods in DCS.

I don't see how my settings matter considering when I look at resource manager, DCS is hardly even noticeable on my system.

I won't reinstall my Windows again for DCS because it only created a ton of problems with everything else, but made zero difference for DCS, because, as I said, as soon as I installed and started DCS on fresh Windows reinstall, errors manifested themselves.

I have used CCleaner 2 days ago to clean up the registry.

I don't know what other DLLs you referring to because I had no other ones throw an error. It's the same error over and over and over again, nothing changed.

36 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

Already checked, it's 0.

I never used mods in DCS.

I don't see how my settings matter considering when I look at resource manager, DCS is hardly even noticeable on my system.

I won't reinstall my Windows again for DCS because it only created a ton of problems with everything else, but made zero difference for DCS, because, as I said, as soon as I installed and started DCS on fresh Windows reinstall, errors manifested themselves.

I have used CCleaner 2 days ago to clean up the registry.

I don't know what other DLLs you referring to because I had no other ones throw an error. It's the same error over and over and over again, nothing changed.

Yeah, I know its frustrating, all im trying to suggest, is you change it up- Keep it that way for a week or two, and see if any changes are noticed.
At least then we'd have other links to the issue.
Right now, we have no positive link except windows, based upon the information youve given us.

We just know something else is shutting the game down, it could be because of a number of different things, but unless youre willing to try and 'work' through some problem solving, it doesnt matter what solution we find, it isnt working for you.

Alot of the solutions that have been suggested, might improve your situation over the space of 30 app starts. But if youre looking to try something once, and then revert. Its not going to give us the feedback we need to hone in on that problem.
If the game boots off less time, we know its a resource issue. If it doesnt, we know its a windows issue.

Every search ive done in reddit, google, and steam, points at a software conflict.
Theres not a single resolve on the web (That ive seen) that doesnt resolve the issue, without 'switching something else off'.

I understand that youre frustrated, but unless youre willing to put time into finding out which program is causing the conflict- We arent going to get any closer to a fix.
So far, ive found links to the Asus motherboard software, Steel Series software (including the Arctis headset), Autodesk, and the RGB controller for your motherboard and GPU.
This software has caused the exact same crash (05 ACCESS VIOLATION) and WorldGeneral.DLL in a number of different games all (including some of the same games on your Youtube Channel).

And in every single resolve of the same error code, and .DLL it was a third party piece of software that was conflicting.

Ive even gone to page 9 of google in some cases, and translated some pages in other languages. Even in french- this conflict was solved by removing another piece of software.

From my understanding of microsofts error pages (correct me if im wrong), it revolves around the game asking for a resource, and your OS telling the game 'that resource is in use', so the game just shuts down as your computer doesnt have the resources available.
Id like to figure out whats using your resources, but unless you want to put serious time into finding it, were not going get you a solution.

Every person who has resolved this exact same issue, Including a few who have resolved it on Hoggit for the same game, had another piece of software causing a conflict.
And from watching your game start up, and kick you, its as if the sound/video/controller, is getting in the way of your load- And closing the game down for its own purpose.

As @silverdevil suggested, its very easy to pull a conflict through on a reinstall, it could be as simple as your browser, or a plug in for it, that youre using to view this post.

Or it could be that your security is too high, and its kocking the game off as an update hasnt come through yet.

But without a pattern to follow, it doesnt matter what we suggest, youre still going to be in the same position next year until you choose to sit down, trouble shoot and figure it out..
First its DCS, tomorrow it could be another game.

Download DCS 1.5

See if that works.

Edited by StevanJ
  • Like 1

I've done everything you suggested, this PC is useless to me without my headset, so that has to stay, even though I've tried with that software uninstalled, I have removed anything that is RGB related, disabled it on the motherboard in BIOS, I have removed AISuite I've used for fan controlling and set fans in BIOS instead.

I have removed all audio software and reinstalled only the driver from motherboard home page.

I don't know what Autodesk is, so I don't see why that would even be present on my PC, I have tried searching in programs, did not find it.

I will now try to clean up my D drive SSD to use to install another copy of Windows on it and when I boot it, I will unplug all other drives.

10 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

I've done everything you suggested, this PC is useless to me without my headset, so that has to stay, even though I've tried with that software uninstalled, I have removed anything that is RGB related, disabled it on the motherboard in BIOS, I have removed AISuite I've used for fan controlling and set fans in BIOS instead.

I have removed all audio software and reinstalled only the driver from motherboard home page.

I don't know what Autodesk is, so I don't see why that would even be present on my PC, I have tried searching in programs, did not find it.

I will now try to clean up my D drive SSD to use to install another copy of Windows on it and when I boot it, I will unplug all other drives.

We'll get there...
It may take a while, but just remember
Top Gun wasnt filmed in a day..
With every update you give us- please try and include the log, and the error code/.DLL and a screenshot of the services that are running if you get/have one.
Be aware of your 'start up' page on your task manager. It may be booting something up without you knowing it.

It could be as silly and simple as steam or discord, it could be as complex as discord AND your headset. Which was a bug a couple of years ago.

Theres also been issues with Nvidia, and your headset..

The more info you put in front of us, the more we can try to look for solutions..

Ive honestly spent alot of time looking for alternative solutions, and so far a software conflict is the one thats been highlighted over and over.

If i thought there might be an alternative, id share it.
But like you, im abit stuck and relying on the feedback we have.

Edited by StevanJ

Considering prices I would buy cheap 240+GB SSD with SLC cache if I had to do Windows reinstall for testing purposes, simply because it's not worth my time to install everything that I will use later and setting stuff up. But if you can clean D partition that will do.

I have few ideas on that clean install if it doesn't work straight away 🙂

2 hours ago, SliderCDN said:

fair enough. you could share what your process is to do a fresh install windows. you mention AutoDESK and not knowing what it is. AutoDESK is a design software company and does not get installed with windows fresh install. hence why i am not convinced you are doing a fresh install.

• Thanks 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

fair enough. you could share what your process is to do a fresh install windows. you mention AutoDESK and not knowing what it is. AutoDESK is a design software company and does not get installed with windows fresh install. hence why i am not convinced you are doing a fresh install.

I've never used Autodesk nor did I have a need for such software, so not sure why that's even in the story?

2 hours ago, XPACT said:

Considering prices I would buy cheap 240+GB SSD with SLC cache if I had to do Windows reinstall for testing purposes, simply because it's not worth my time to install everything that I will use later and setting stuff up. But if you can clean D partition that will do.

I have few ideas on that clean install if it doesn't work straight away 🙂

I'm still working on freeing up my D drive, so feel free to throw the ideas around. At this point, I do not have desire or funds to throw around more money for DCS.

Edited by SliderCDN

18 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

I've never used Autodesk nor did I have a need for such software, so not sure why that's even in the story?

I'm still working on freeing up my D drive, so feel free to throw the ideas around. At this point, I do not have desire or funds to throw around more money for DCS.

yeah sorry. i got confused with the 146 replies on this topic and missed that AutoDESK reference was from another user. and i still have not seen a description of what you are doing to do a fresh install of windows.

First time I did it, I backed up what I needed, created a USB Windows install media, ran through the process of installation and completely wiped the drive Windows was being installed to. Nothing remained from old install. Currently, I'm moving data from D drive to one of HDDs to install another copy of Windows.