SliderCDN - Random CTD, unable to start

SliderCDN

I have tried running with those disabled. Nothing changed. Screenshot just wasn't taken at that exact moment.

Thanks for trying, but it's a dead end, @Flappie already established that long ago, as it can be seen in earlier posts.

Some time ago, as posted earlier, I have done a complete clean Windows reinstall. DCS worked for a very short time until error came up again, I had nothing but the video driver installed at that point. It will randomly still work for random duration of time until it just closes (no, GPU doesn't reset. I know how that process looks like and that is not the case).

You have to understand I have been troubleshooting this since NOVEMBER of 2020, scouring the internet for 0xc0000142 error and Initialization error 2 and done every single step listed and nothing changed. I am more than confident it is directly DCS related and has nothing to do with anything else I have installed.

I will now try for probably 35th time to completely remove all traces of DCS and reinstall.

7 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

I have tried running with those disabled. Nothing changed. Screenshot just wasn't taken at that exact moment.

Thanks for trying, but it's a dead end, @Flappie already established that long ago, as it can be seen in earlier posts.

Some time ago, as posted earlier, I have done a complete clean Windows reinstall. DCS worked for a very short time until error came up again, I had nothing but the video driver installed at that point. It will randomly still work for random duration of time until it just closes (no, GPU doesn't reset. I know how that process looks like and that is not the case).

You have to understand I have been troubleshooting this since NOVEMBER of 2020, scouring the internet for 0xc0000142 error and Initialization error 2 and done every single step listed and nothing changed. I am more than confident it is directly DCS related and has nothing to do with anything else I have installed.

I will now try for probably 35th time to completely remove all traces of DCS and reinstall.

I dont think its a dead end, looking through pages of reddit with user whove experienced similar error codes 99% of them find a solution, there are people with similar issues to other games who are having the exact same problem.
There is even a small minority who have highlighted aura, and autodesk as the culprit.
In most cases, a clean boot, followed by a cleaning up of software does resolve the issue but if in your case its not, we just have to keep digging to find a pattern..

We can quit, but im happy to carry on.
Thats upto you.

Either way, Im fairly certain its a software conflict, as a majority of the resolves that are found are simple unobvious solutions.

I appreciate your help, I really do, it just appeared to me at first we were going down the same road as earlier with others. I'll try whatever ideas to come up with, because I have none myself.

I literally just finished reinstalling the base game and I can't even start it because of same errors as post #1.

Edited by SliderCDN

What CPU, GPU and Motherboard do you have and also what's your BIOS version? Usually random crashes like this are caused by some kind of instability that leads to corruption of data, not necessarly with the overclock and software but on a hardware level, it's possible that some microcode update exists for the CPU. It is rare but possible for every other program to work fine in those cases.

First I would try disconnecting every usb device that is not essential. Do you have anything shared over network on the same drive where your game install is? I've seen couple of "random" access violation type errors with networked PC's when other accesses the drive at the runtime. If that is not the case...

Since this is long lasting problem, I would disable every overclock (save your settings to a profile if your motherboard supports it or write your settings down and do CMOS reset) even memory XMP if it's on and then run memtest86 for few passes just to be sure there is no random bitflipping or whole sectors of memory gone bad. After that complete reinstall of Windows with just display, audio and chipset driver installed.

Game must start correctly, otherwise we have some driver issue, very rare case of hardware incompatibility or something is failing.

Of course these problems that you can't reproduce everytime are hardest to diagnose and require significant amount of time and patience to reslove. For example I had bizzare issue on my old PC where bad CMOS battery caused BIOS to corrupt in 4-5 months of use, requiring BIOS flash or otherwise PC wouldn't boot 1 out of 5 times and it would get progressivly worse, debug error code would be different at times and in final days before it required flashback totally random bluescreens. I tried clearing CMOS, removing battery, BIOS flashbacks but none of it fixed the issue permanently and everyone would think it's borked motherboard by that point but after battery replacement and BIOS flashback it is still working to this day without issues and with a pretty hefty overclock... if you ask me to explain why that worked I don't have an explanation that I am .

At one point I was even considering cosmic radiation for the cause of my issues due to randomness of it 😄

12 hours ago, SliderCDN said:

I appreciate your help, I really do, it just appeared to me at first we were going down the same road as earlier with others. I'll try whatever ideas to come up with, because I have none myself.

I literally just finished reinstalling the base game and I can't even start it because of same errors as post #1.

Im sorry to say that this is just computers, its binary.

The resolve will come from you giving Us as MUCH detail as you can, that it includes repeatedly telling us which .dll file is highlighted in the errors.
As well as making screen grabs after youve completed tasks, so that we can eliminate the 'processes' each time they come up.

The crash log has reported a very common problem, and the error code confirms that its a software conflict, which sadly means its not a DCS problem, but a conflict on your system problem.
Your computer is preventing DCS from running as to direct its resources to something else.
The good news is these error codes are very common, and the common resolve that i can see from the 100's of posts on reddit, google and steam forums, explain that in every instance it was resolved by simply closing down another process that the user wouldnt have ever thought be the problem.

See this resolve from a user with the same problem but with a different game.

There are literally hundred more of these posts, for lots of different games (Other well know flight sims). 
Every post ive found elsewhere, with the same error codes, points to a solution where 'another' peace of software is both the problem and the resolve to the issue.

I understand its hard to keep doing the same thing over and over, but thats the only way we can eliminate solutions, and all we can ask you to do- is be vigilant, and build that data so that we can look to see which route to take each time.

8 hours ago, Miro said:

SliderCDN your system ram is 32GB, have you tried set pagefile fixed min. 32669 max. 32669 and revert to very old GPU driver? I mean exact 442.19

Yeah, he tried that page 3

3 hours ago, XPACT said:

What CPU, GPU and Motherboard do you have and also what's your BIOS version? Usually random crashes like this are caused by some kind of instability that leads to corruption of data, not necessarly with the overclock and software but on a hardware level, it's possible that some microcode update exists for the CPU. It is rare but possible for every other program to work fine in those cases.

First I would try disconnecting every usb device that is not essential. Do you have anything shared over network on the same drive where your game install is? I've seen couple of "random" access violation type errors with networked PC's when other accesses the drive at the runtime. If that is not the case...

Since this is long lasting problem, I would disable every overclock (save your settings to a profile if your motherboard supports it or write your settings down and do CMOS reset) even memory XMP if it's on and then run memtest86 for few passes just to be sure there is no random bitflipping or whole sectors of memory gone bad. After that complete reinstall of Windows with just display, audio and chipset driver installed.

Game must start correctly, otherwise we have some driver issue, very rare case of hardware incompatibility or something is failing.

Of course these problems that you can't reproduce everytime are hardest to diagnose and require significant amount of time and patience to reslove. For example I had bizzare issue on my old PC where bad CMOS battery caused BIOS to corrupt in 4-5 months of use, requiring BIOS flash or otherwise PC wouldn't boot 1 out of 5 times and it would get progressivly worse, debug error code would be different at times and in final days before it required flashback totally random bluescreens. I tried clearing CMOS, removing battery, BIOS flashbacks but none of it fixed the issue permanently and everyone would think it's borked motherboard by that point but after battery replacement and BIOS flashback it is still working to this day without issues and with a pretty hefty overclock... if you ask me to explain why that worked I don't have an explanation that I am .

At one point I was even considering cosmic radiation for the cause of my issues due to randomness of it 😄

He's on an Asus Mobo', Asus GPU..

Edited by StevanJ
Deleted references to specific 'other games' -

• ED Team
11 hours ago, SliderCDN said:

Checked the log, its a strange one and nothing definite, 

crash shows 

2021-04-08 00:44:08.859 INFO    EDCORE: # -------------- 20210408-004408 --------------
2021-04-08 00:44:08.860 INFO    EDCORE: DCS/2.5.6.61527 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.19042)
2021-04-08 00:44:08.862 INFO    EDCORE: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe
2021-04-08 00:44:08.863 INFO    EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 30F48862 00:00000000
2021-04-08 00:44:08.864 INFO    EDCORE: SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta;C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'DINO'
2021-04-08 00:44:08.874 INFO    EDCORE: OS-Version: 10.0.19042 () 0x100-0x1
2021-04-08 00:44:09.382 INFO    EDCORE: 0x00000000017E8862 (DCS): AmdPowerXpressRequestHighPerformance + 0xB7A85E
2021-04-08 00:44:09.382 INFO    EDCORE: 0x000000000190117F (DCS): AmdPowerXpressRequestHighPerformance + 0xC9317B
2021-04-08 00:44:09.386 WARNING LOG: 36 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2021-04-08 00:44:09.386 INFO    EDCORE: 0x000000000097D243 (DCS): CoreUtils::TempFilesManager::operator= + 0x58F693
2021-04-08 00:44:09.386 INFO    EDCORE: 0x0000000000982B01 (DCS): CoreUtils::TempFilesManager::operator= + 0x594F51
2021-04-08 00:44:09.386 INFO    EDCORE: 0x00000000009828A5 (DCS): CoreUtils::TempFilesManager::operator= + 0x594CF5
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x0000000000065980 (dx11backend): createRenderer + 0x4DA30
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x0000000000068F03 (dx11backend): createRenderer + 0x50FB3
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x000000000003F863 (dx11backend): createRenderer + 0x27913
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x00000000000DAA50 (edCore): ed::this_thread::yield + 0x2CC0
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x00000000000D73F8 (edCore): ed::thread::_get_current_thread_id + 0x58
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x0000000000021BB2 (ucrtbase): configthreadlocale + 0x92
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x0000000000017034 (KERNEL32): BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x14
2021-04-08 00:44:09.387 INFO    EDCORE: 0x0000000000052651 (ntdll): RtlUserThreadStart + 0x21
2021-04-08 00:44:09.541 INFO    EDCORE: Minidump created.

I will ask the team. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

These are desperate attempts I know...

I've read you did stability testing and that is good start but I passed hours of linpack and prime95 just to crash in the most light loads imaginable due to voltage transients because I like running stuff with power savings haha

Hardware is relatively new so that probably won't be the case of incompatibility... DEP was already suggested...

I see you are running four memory sticks, I would first do memtest86 and even if it passes, f*** it, try with two sticks in dual channel, if that doesn't work try with two sticks in single channel (2 next to each other probably, MB manual knows better).

10 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

He's on an Asus Mobo', Asus GPU..

Are they unbreakable because my last GPU wouldn't agree? 🙂 Chance is very slim because everything else works fine but...

40 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

Im sorry to say that this is just computers, its binary.

That stands true but under assumption that everything hardware wise is fine.

40 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

Your computer is preventing DCS from running as to direct its resources to something else.
The good news is these error codes are very common, and the common resolve that i can see from the 100's of posts on reddit, google and steam forums, explain that in every instance it was resolved by simply closing down another process that the user wouldnt have ever thought be the problem.

This is most likely the culprit but I thought he did fresh Windows install with only display drivers and it still failed?

EDIT: Also is there any specific reason why you have hyper threading disabled? @SliderCDN

Edited by XPACT

In such cases what we usually do in IT helpdesk is checking with one component replaced each time if you happen to have access to similar hardware. You take power supply from another PC and test with your PC. Then you do that with just the card. Same with memory. Reseat all the cables, cards and memory sticks. Best to unplug everything that is not critical for system running then add devices one by one.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• ED Team

My best guess at the moment is power supply related. Only a guess. 

Which power supply do you have? 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Power supply issues would manifest in other more demanding titles also so I highly doubt it. Usually CTDs are rare when power delivery isn't sufficient, because with any solid power supply you would first lose PWR OK signal and system would instantly reboot when restored, otherwise system would probably bluescreen, freeze or simply shutoff.

7 hours ago, Miro said:

SliderCDN your system ram is 32GB, have you tried set pagefile fixed min. 32669 max. 32669 and revert to very old GPU driver? I mean exact 442.19

I've checked it last night to be sure, but it's still sitting at 32669 as per earlier suggestion.

1 hour ago, XPACT said:

Power supply issues would manifest in other more demanding titles also so I highly doubt it. Usually CTDs are rare when power delivery isn't sufficient, because with any solid power supply you would first lose PWR OK signal and system would instantly reboot when restored, otherwise system would probably bluescreen, freeze or simply shutoff.

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

My best guess at the moment is power supply related. Only a guess. 

Which power supply do you have? 

Corsair HX1000i (1000W) less than year old, hardly hitting over 600W at normal gaming loads.

1 hour ago, draconus said:

In such cases what we usually do in IT helpdesk is checking with one component replaced each time if you happen to have access to similar hardware. You take power supply from another PC and test with your PC. Then you do that with just the card. Same with memory. Reseat all the cables, cards and memory sticks. Best to unplug everything that is not critical for system running then add devices one by one.

I did that prior to doing clean sweep of Windows, oldest component is hardly 2 years old. Did a complete PC hardware refresh over the course of last year.

I've ran stress tests on CPU, GPU and RAM as well and were stable for 12+ hours.

2 hours ago, XPACT said:

That stands true but under assumption that everything hardware wise is fine.

This is most likely the culprit but I thought he did fresh Windows install with only display drivers and it still failed?

EDIT: Also is there any specific reason why you have hyper threading disabled? @SliderCDN

Correct, I reinstalled Windows and barebone drivers needed to run DCS and very quickly the 2 errors manifested themselves.

HT is disabled as I do not require it because nothing I use needs more cores, it likes single core performance. 5GHz overclock has been running stable since I got this processor (lucky silicone lottery I guess).

@StevanJ so far I have done everything that was suggested in this thread in that order, nothing more because I have no other ideas 😛 I'll try this last one you posted.

Sidenote: regarding C++ Redist, which versions do I need? That thing always confused me?

Thank you all for trying, I just want to sling some boxes with my Huey 😞

EDIT: this came up after fresh reinstall of base Open Beta. Hasn't come up before. 

b75e9c84b35b17c6362870b9622f08d5.png

Edited by SliderCDN

42 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

I am in process of that.

Just keep going man!
You got this..

If you can, each time giving us as much detail as you can 'How long the game runs for before the crash etc'
'List of current processes etc.'
'Even run task manager as it crashes' if you can, to see how your computer is using its power.

I know there was antivirus talk before but since at the time of the error and after MsMpEng.exe is having some usage and that is core component of windows defender, can you turn off every windows defender option including realtime scan, ransomware protection (folder protection) etc and try to reproduce?

It could be some weird heuristic blocking of some components that doesn't always occur, possibly DRM issues, I've seen that before. And to make matters worse game install folder is on system partition. Are you running DCS with administrative privileges?

10 minutes ago, XPACT said:

I know there was antivirus talk before but since at the time of the error and after MsMpEng.exe is having some usage and that is core component of windows defender, can you turn off every windows defender option including realtime scan, ransomware protection (folder protection) etc and try to reproduce?

It could be some weird heuristic blocking of some components that doesn't always occur, possibly DRM issues, I've seen that before. And to make matters worse game install folder is on system partition. Are you running DCS with administrative privileges?

Actually yesterday I've tried with all Defender options off and on D drive. I'll give it a shot again just in case.

6 minutes ago, SliderCDN said:

Here you go, sir.

Right now DCS is on D drive, running as admin, Defender off when I try to run it. I've run a repair as well with defender off just in case.

Perfect, Can you uninstall the steel series software, OBS, Track Ir, and unplug your headphones from the computer please?
And tell me if you disabled the services then tried the game, or did you disable the services and reboot?