Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

tapi

Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

• Bf 109 G-6 Late
    • Tempest Mk. V
    • Spitfire Mk XIV (Griffon, bubble canopy)
    • Fw 190 F/G-8
    • A6M5 Zero
    • P-38 J/L Lightning
    • F6F Hellcat
    • Bf 109 E
    • Spitfire Mk. I/II
    • Other (not mentioned) aircraft

On 3/24/2021 at 2:10 PM, MobiusOne said:

I would personally love a Griffon Spitfire.

A  hooked Spitfire tops my list (along with the F4U). If DCS does a hooked Spitfire, they could do the Griffon Seafire. We'd get a different Spitfire and the highest performing Spitfire (usable up to Korea, but not WW2?). But I'd buy any hooked Spitfire.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

7 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Airworthy WW2 era Yaks are most likely reproductions.

Guess that's why Wikipedia only lists "static" survivors. IIRC, one flying "Yak-9" had an Allison, performed a little better. Close enough.

:poster_oops2:

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Almost no P-39 or P-63 mentions, why is that? It has some unique flight characteristics, was used and liked by Soviet pilots (looks like we won't get any USSR-made aircraft in observable future anyway), has decent A/G capability, looks good...

52 minutes ago, Aernov said:

Almost no P-39 or P-63 mentions, why is that? It has some unique flight characteristics, was used and liked by Soviet pilots (looks like we won't get any USSR-made aircraft in observable future anyway), has decent A/G capability, looks good...

The P39 would be interesting. I always enjoyed flying it in Maddox IL2.     It was used in the Med and Pacific as well as in Russia. I’ve always thought it’s impact on the Eastern Front has been underplayed (along with the A20 and B25) several of the top scoring Russian aces achieved most of their kills flying the P39, it was used heavily even late in the war.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see many mentions anywhere of a Hurricane IIc.

I know it's technically outclassed by a lot of the other aircraft, but it had its advantages too. Just think: a DCS warbird module that would be easy to learn how to control, take off / land, aim with etc. Relatively speaking at least. When it comes to air combat in a simulation where people can and will often make decisions and perform actions that would be much too risky irl then aircraft performance matters more than it would certainly, but ultimately there are plenty of other factors that combine to determine the outcome of any individual fight.

And since we're looking at getting a Mosquito, how about a Me. Bf110 to even the twin engined scales, along with the P38.

INTEL i7-7700k @ 4.8GHz / NVIDIA 1080-GTX 8Gb / 32Gb DDR4 @3200MHz / Win 10x64 Home

Nid oes bara ar ôl felly bydd gennych dost yn lle hynny.

5 hours ago, Sammi79 said:

I don't see many mentions anywhere of a Hurricane IIc.

I know it's technically outclassed by a lot of the other aircraft, but it had its advantages too. Just think: a DCS warbird module that would be easy to learn how to control, take off / land, aim with etc. Relatively speaking at least. When it comes to air combat in a simulation where people can and will often make decisions and perform actions that would be much too risky irl then aircraft performance matters more than it would certainly, but ultimately there are plenty of other factors that combine to determine the outcome of any individual fight.

And since we're looking at getting a Mosquito, how about a Me. Bf110 to even the twin engined scales, along with the P38.

I’m sure the Hurricane is quite high up on TFCs list. It’s one of those small number of WW2 warbirds with excellent references and quite a few very original flying examples.

Ground handling is supposed to be much easier than the Spitfire. In the air the Hurri is supposed to have some  1930s oddness, it’s a gen 1 monoplane after all. 

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/259/Flying-the-Hurricane-with-Rob-Erdos.aspx

Edited by Mogster

We need  the p38 no question!! FOR THE SIMPLE REASON IT WILL BE NEEDED IN THE PACIFIC THEATER ALSO.  A twin engine fighter would be great to fly for single engine operation in emergencies, long range use per Lindbergh instructions in the Solomon-New Guinea Theater of Operations, with centralized gun firing, the Yamamoto intercept mission and generally a flight challenge for everyone!!

a Hawker Typhoon (RAF 2nd TAF) is another excellent choice working in the Normandy area where it contributed in the fighter bomber  role using its 60 lb. rockets to good effect at Mortain and at Falaise - Argentan Gap against Nazi panzers. This was a major factor in the ultimate withdrawal of the Wehrmacht in France.

Edited by greiffer
  • Like 1

I’d imagine like the Hurricane that the P38 is on the list, and near the top, references and airworthy examples again.

The Typhoon really hasn’t featured in sims much. No airworthy examples, only one remains anything like complete, it’s at Hendon now after being donated to the RAF a couple of years ago by the Smithsonian. No airworthy Napier Sabre engined aircraft exist which is very sad for an engine that featured so significantly with the RAF from mid to late war. Although there are projects there are no running Napier Sabres currently so we can’t even hear one 😔 by comparison Merlin’s and Griffons are ten a penny. I suppose it helps that RR are still very much in the aero engine business while Napier haven’t been for a couple of generations.

The A20 would seem to be a goer, especially with its single seater style cockpit that would make things easier. There are flyable examples also I think.

It gets overlooked but it was used in numbers everywhere, including the Eastern Front.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Sammi79 said:

Just think: a DCS warbird module that would be easy to learn how to control, take off / land, aim with etc. Relatively speaking at least.

What in particular would make the Hurricane easier to operate than, say, the Mustang? The Spit and Bf-109 can be tricky with their narrow undercarriage and twitchy controls, but the 190s and especially the two American planes with their trimmers are about as easy as a WW2 fighter can get.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If only someone could find a couple of boxed up Rolls Royce Peregrines in the back of a shed 😀

The Whirlwind was criticised by many, but loved by its pilots - fastest plane in the world at the time and concentrated 4 x 20mm in the nose.  Like the Typhoon, unjustifiably extinct or thereabouts 

(With the benefit of hindsight) The Brits were scandalously bad at retaining key pieces of WW2 kit...  

We really should still have one of the key battleships, aircraft carriers and at least one destroyer as museum ships (probably Warspite, one of the surviving Tribal class destroyers - carriers were extensively modified post war)

my father always reckoned a combination of post war austerity and no desire to look back to dark days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

(With the benefit of hindsight) The Brits were scandalously bad at retaining key pieces of WW2 kit...

You mean like that XVIIth or XVIIIth century wooden warship sank on the 60's or so because budget?

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

You mean like that XVIIth or XVIIIth century wooden warship sank on the 60's or so because budget?

S!

Implacable didn’t add much to the record, we already had the best of all, HMS Victory. Why keep another 18th-19th century warship. She was originally French, and was offered to France before being scuttled.

WW2. Now the Rodney, built at Lairds she would have been an excellent centrepiece to a Battle of the Atlantic museum in Liverpool. Victorious, had an incredible combat WW2 combat record, Arctic, Atlantic, ETO, MTO, PTO... 

What would have been better than Warspite?

More Battle Honours than any other Royal Navy vessel - wrecked, then salvaged on tow to the breakers

image.png
15 Battle Honours...

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1

Aye, Warspite was worthy also, but the Rodney sank the Bismarck, or rendered her combat ineffective depending on your preferred view... 😉

Churchill wanted Rodney preserved but the political wind wasn’t blowing in his favour in 1948.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

Implacable didn’t add much to the record, we already had the best of all, HMS Victory. Why keep another 18th-19th century warship. She was originally French, and was offered to France before being scuttled.

She was the last 74 gun ship, the true workhorses of all major European navies for over a century.

Warspite fought at Jutland, Battle of Narvik, Battle of Cape Mapatan, and was even at Normandy. “During her service career Warspite lived up to her motto, enduring shellfire, bombing, ramming, mines and a guided missile”

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

15 hours ago, Lynchsl62 said:

Warspite fought at Jutland, Battle of Narvik, Battle of Cape Mapatan, and was even at Normandy. “During her service career Warspite lived up to her motto, enduring shellfire, bombing, ramming, mines and a guided missile”

Warspite was also completely knackered by 1945 and would have cost a fortune to fix, like Rodney sadly

That was the advantage of Belfast, she may not have had an extensive service record (although still noteworthy) but she was in very good condition and so much cheaper to preserve.

Warspite might have been worn out... but hardly relevant as a museum ship...?

Belfast, and Cavalier for that matter, might have been saved as museum ships, but neither one properly represent a WW2 cruiser or destroyer - both showing extensive postwar modifications

Same with the Tribal or war emergency class destroyers - much better to have had a wartime condition museum ship

Anyway.... strayed WAAAY off topic 🤔

so back on topic - has anyone found a couple of crates of Peregrine engines???

Edited by rkk01

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Warspite might have been worn out... but hardly relevant as a museum ship...?

Belfast, and Cavalier for that matter, might have been saved as museum ships, but neither one properly represent a WW2 cruiser or destroyer - both showing extensive postwar modifications

Same with the Tribal or war emergency class destroyers - much better to have had a wartime condition museum ship

Anyway.... strayed WAAAY off topic 🤔

so back on topic - has anyone found a couple of crates of Peregrine engines???

Warspite was in a very bad state by the end of WW2 as most of the RN fleet. Warspite had been badly damaged by glider bombs, mines, only 3 of her prop shafts were working and there was a concrete patch covering bomb damage that basically went through the whole ship. Repair would have cost millions even to a viable static state. Britain was bankrupt and the Attlee government was committed to wide ranging social programmes, sadly scrap was worth more than worn out warships that the country had no need for. 

Enterprise CV6 was the USN ship with the longest battle honours, she was even a Midway veteran, nothing more to say... She was scrapped as well...