My first impressions on the HP Reverb G2 for DCS

simon3554

• ED Team

thanks for the feedback, still waiting for mine to arrive

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can you confirm that shimmering is really gone? It looks like despite high resolution we still need to use high levels of Super Sampling (like 150% steamvr ss) to have 1:1 pixel mapping in the center of the screen.

No, it is not gone. But from going from a 1440p WMR headset, this is barely noticable. Since i was already used to the big amount of shimmering in my old headset. I'll try today if its completely eliminated by turning on MSAA.

I would say its more than fine, its about the same as on my flat screen.

No, it is not gone. But from going from a 1440p WMR headset, this is barely noticable. Since i was already used to the big amount of shimmering in my old headset. I'll try today if its completely eliminated by turning on MSAA.

I would say its more than fine, its about the same as on my flat screen.

Thanks for reply! Can you please also check, does picture look much better with high SteamVR SS (like 200% for example). I was expecting that with such high resolution HMD SS won't be needed. Just like on flat 1440p monitor. Difference between having 4xMSAA and having no MSAA at all is really minor.

For all but a few of us so far, the relationship between SteamVR SS and render resolution has changed significantly from the G1. As of right now, SS of 50% gets you close to native resolution on the G2. I currently have mine set to 70% and I'm using 4X MSAA. The image is nice and clear for me and I don't see shimmering. Then again, I really didn't see much on my G1 either. For me, MSAA has always had a bigger impact on shimmering than SS has. Others have reported different findings, so YMMV.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

For all but a few of us so far, the relationship between SteamVR SS and render resolution has changed significantly from the G1. As of right now, SS of 50% gets you close to native resolution on the G2. I currently have mine set to 70% and I'm using 4X MSAA. The image is nice and clear for me and I don't see shimmering. Then again, I really didn't see much on my G1 either. For me, MSAA has always had a bigger impact on shimmering than SS has. Others have reported different findings, so YMMV.

Same for me, however it has a big impact on performance also. I run 2x MSAA and native resolution in the G2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just tested upping the SS slider to 2800x2800, and ill never do that again. Its a massive performance hog. Without any visual difference. I noticed sligtly less shimmering in the distance. But thats it. Definitely not worth the 10-20fps performance drop.

Nothing really changed in terms of visual clarity, i could still read the NOSE UP on the trim button of the F-16 stick with no issue, it didnt even seem like it changed.

Just put it to 2160x2160 and you're all good.

It could be the difference in hardware Simon, but I haven't had a single crash in DCS in many hours of using the G2, on 2 different machines (10900k/3090, 9900k/3080). That includes monkeying around with the IPD setting probably hundreds of times, testing out various positions and settings while DCS and several other games are running. I can't explain or account for why, this is just my experience.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

It could be the difference in hardware Simon, but I haven't had a single crash in DCS in many hours of using the G2, on 2 different machines (10900k/3090, 9900k/3080). That includes monkeying around with the IPD setting probably hundreds of times, testing out various positions and settings while DCS and several other games are running. I can't explain or account for why, this is just my experience.

Is there much of a difference between 3080 and the 3090 for DCS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Syria map looks pretty good in VR, the colors are nice however the Normandy and Caucuses map look really bad. The trees are so green and bright it's ugly. Can't use reshade to change the colors when using a vr headset, someone said use Ansel (tried this tonight but does not appear that's for changing colors in the headset). Does anyone have a way to improve and enhance the colors in VR?

Syria map looks pretty good in VR, the colors are nice however the Normandy and Caucuses map look really bad. The trees are so green and bright it's ugly. Can't use reshade to change the colors when using a vr headset, someone said use Ansel (tried this tonight but does not appear that's for changing colors in the headset). Does anyone have a way to improve and enhance the colors in VR?

Try this

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg