Horrible performance with RTX 3080 / Reverb G2 / and VR

rss0900

I have the same problem with rtx3090. I came from oculus quest 2 after I uninstalled the oculus I make it to work. I had my settings in 100% on ss and I had decent FPS like in oculus with better visuals, but after I change my high settings on dcs from high to low and high again, I start to had shutters and I lower to 50% on steamvr. Now I have 45-65 FPS but I can’t get the reprojection to work even if I force to enable it on steamvr. I see on fpsvr is going from 43,45,60. 

6 minutes ago, Gruman said:

I'm absolutly confused.

Yesterday I had crappy 25-35 FPS (54%, Medium Visb). Lot of frame drops in FPSVR.

Today my SteamVR didnt start properly (And no FPSVR)... Same Setting, constant 90FPS... 

(Caucasus, Nevada and PG not as bad 40-60, but Syria was the above with maxed out VRAM)

I slowely started to increase the settings

Now I have SteamVR on the recommended 150% and Game specific resolution of 120% ->  4184x4092. Increased Visb. Range back to High and still have 60-90 FPS in the exact same scenario. And I enabled Cockpit LIghtning, increased clutter...

Could it be, that this highly recommended FPSVR Tool is not working properly with the NVIDIA Driver on the RTX30XX Cards?

Slowly seeing a bit of light at the end of this tunnel...

Can you share your settings on steamvr and on the game settings?you have 100% and on preapplication 100%?  I have the 3090 and I have 100% and 50% ss and I can get maximum 60fps. 

Will share later. Have to do some more testing.

My CPU frametimes were never a problem... 

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I can get 45 fps with reasonable settings and 100% Steam SS with my 2080 so you should be killing it with the 3080.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

32 minutes ago, vagos1103gr said:

So must be something wrong with my dcs and 3090. Maybe I have to deleted and reinstalled it?

• Are you running GeForce Experience? Disable the Overlay/Monitoring!
  • Are you running fpsVR? Run it witout and just monitor your DCS Frames with LCTRL+Break
  • Did you change your Registry so WMR doesnt add 3 extra screens on connection?
  • Did you set any NVIDIA Settings? I made a profile for DCS with:
    • Texture Max Performance
    • Power Management to Max Performance
    • VSync -> "FAST"

To disable virtual monitor pre-allocation:

Check Windows Update for one of the Windows 10 Cumulative Update Preview versions listed above, and install the update when available (you may find the update under Optional updates or Advanced options on the Windows Update settings page) Launch Registry Editor

Virtual monitors will now allocate when you attempt to launch a Win32 application in Windows Mixed Reality instead of pre-allocating. To reset this and re-enable virtual monitor pre-allocation, return the DWORD "Value data" to 1.

• Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic"
  • If the "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" REG_DWORD is not present, create it by selecting Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and entering PreallocateVirtualMonitors as the name
  • If the "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" REG_DWORD is present (or you just created it), double-click the entry and change "Value data" from 1 (its default value) to 0 (zero)
    • TRUE - 1
    • FALSE - 0

Got playable on my 3080 with good frames (150% General/100%Game Specific Resolution)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

23 minutes ago, freehand said:

All ? msi afterburner not even close to 2% percent.

Of course if you turn it on and leave it, mine stays around 2% too.

It'll fluctuate up to 20% based on what it's monitoring and what you're running.

Below is with monitoring CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM, and VRAM per process.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Doesn't matter to me if anyone uses them or not.  But I see people running 2-3 different monitoring apps.

Edited by Taz1004

Presumably disabling monitoring disables the cpu impact?

That impact could be negligible probably, the problem in VR is that a fraction of a millisecond can make a difference in what the user perceives (asw or full 90fps for example

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Wait one, let me check something? If I have oc’d my cpu in afterburner, does it need to be running in order for the OC to be active? I had always assumed (dangerous) that it did?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Gruman said:

Power Management to Max Performance

Be aware that this will bump your GPU idle power consumption from 25W to around 100W. Also requires PC restart. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Wait one, let me check something? If I have oc’d my cpu in afterburner, does it need to be running in order for the OC to be active? I had always assumed (dangerous) that it did?

You mean GPU?  Didn't know you can OC CPU with afterburner.

For GPU, afterburner can be closed after OC is applied until you reboot.  If you didn't set your afterburner to apply upon reboot, it'll revert to stock after reboot.

This doesn't apply to fan profiles.  Fan profiles will not work if you close afterburner.

34 minutes ago, some1 said:

Be aware that this will bump your GPU idle power consumption from 25W to around 100W. Also requires PC restart. 

I have created a Profile for DCS.exe. This max performance should only be active, if the game is running. So the GPU should never by Idle, correct?

Yeah, I meant the global setting. Per-game setting should work just for this game, although from what I read on the net, the setting does not make a difference. And when it does, it can even reduce FPS by one or two (may be just within measurement error). https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/12/04/nvidia-geforce-driver-power-mode-settings-compared/

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

For GPU, afterburner can be closed after OC is applied until you reboot.  If you didn't set your afterburner to apply upon reboot, it'll revert to stock after reboot.

This doesn't apply to fan profiles.  Fan profiles will not work if you close afterburner.

Yep, and that is why I always have AB running. The default fan profile is poor in comparison.

4 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Of course if you turn it on and leave it, mine stays around 2% too.

It'll fluctuate up to 20% based on what it's monitoring and what you're running.

Below is with monitoring CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM, and VRAM per process.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Doesn't matter to me if anyone uses them or not.  But I see people running 2-3 different monitoring apps.

Weird, mine never goes above 0.2% and I'm monitoring CPU, GPU, VRAM, POWER USAGE and FAN USAGE.

ms.jpg

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

50 minutes ago, some1 said:

Yeah, I meant the global setting. Per-game setting should work just for this game, although from what I read on the net, the setting does not make a difference. And when it does, it can even reduce FPS by one or two (may be just within measurement error). https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/12/04/nvidia-geforce-driver-power-mode-settings-compared/

That is a very interesting link.  I'm going to change back from 'performance' to 'optimal' and see what differences there are, particularly in idle power.

EDIT: I don't have 'optimal' or 'adaptive', only 'Normal' and 'Prefer maximum performance'. Using 460.89. Has something changed?

pm.jpg

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Yep, and that is why I always have AB running. The default fan profile is poor in comparison.

Weird, mine never goes above 0.2% and I'm monitoring CPU, GPU, VRAM, POWER USAGE and FAN USAGE.

ms.jpg

Mine is similar I will enable the above and do some tests. 

Edited by freehand

1 hour ago, imacken said:

That is a very interesting link.  I'm going to change back from 'performance' to 'optimal' and see what differences there are, particularly in idle power.

EDIT: I don't have 'optimal' or 'adaptive', only 'Normal' and 'Prefer maximum performance'. Using 460.89. Has something changed?

pm.jpg

Yes, it changed recently.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

4 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Yes, it changed recently.

Thanks for clarifying.

Hello

So I tried DCS also today with my new GPU and VR Headset.

I get 40-60 fps on a F18 free flight, visual settings on high. Is this good? I have a strong feeling it's not as good as it should be.

I have an RTX 3090 and a Intel Core i7-9700K/3.60 GHz, 32 GB RAM.

I also have a WINWING HOTAS, I read somewhere that the Software caused FPS loss, but that seems to be patched by now.

I also get this strange flimmering while loading a mission, what is this?

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Edit: I have done setting the ingame PD to 1 and in Steam VR Resolution to 50% as told here in the thread.

Edited by memoric

With settings on High, this is more or less expected. You need to tweak the settings in game if you want more fps, or dial it for 45fps and turn reprojection on. 

The "flimmering" is also a known issue:

Edited by some1

51 minutes ago, memoric said:

Hello

So I tried DCS also today with my new GPU and VR Headset.

I get 40-60 fps on a F18 free flight, visual settings on high. Is this good? I have a strong feeling it's not as good as it should be.

I have an RTX 3090 and a Intel Core i7-9700K/3.60 GHz, 32 GB RAM.

I also have a WINWING HOTAS, I read somewhere that the Software caused FPS loss, but that seems to be patched by now.

I also get this strange flimmering while loading a mission, what is this?

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Edit: I have done setting the ingame PD to 1 and in Steam VR Resolution to 50% as told here in the thread.

Hola buddy,

are you running that 9700K at stock speed?  You can safely OC that CPU to 4.9Ghz.  It'll be a nice little "boost" for you.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control