Just accidentally hit "restart" on campaign screen after 6 missions!! Help!

coolts

Sadly, I can't help, but that instantly reminded me of hitting "choose slot" when I actually wanted to either see the briefing to check frequencies or check/adjust some control mappings, and I've had that happen often enough already. Once you hit it, you're out. Sucks big time, and there are no other appropriate civil words. Those are the things that I'd really like to be fixed somehow. Asking "are you sure?" or having an option to get back and stay in the thing would be rather simple to implement I guess...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

How do I restore progress? Can i undo? Recover a deleted file?

...don't want to do all that again!! :(

Maybe you could manually edit the file "logbook.lua", but I've never attempted to restore the status of a Campaign.

For the future, the best measure that I've found is to move (using the windows mklink command) the /saved games/dcs/MissionEditor/ folder to a cloud with version support, on my case I use Microsoft's One Drive:

KcXi0RL.jpg

this allows me to quickly recover any file to a previous state.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You should also unmap "Restart Mission" hotkey from controls. It's LShift+R. I pressed it by mistake while trying to press LShift+T and mission restarted with no warning.

Also, if you press combination of HOTAS mapped functions that does combine LShift and R, it may activate "Restart Mission".

This hotkey should be unmapped by default.

It did ask if I was sure but I was fiddling with trackIR or something. Bollocks.

Do you not back up your PC daily? If so, then just restore the file from the day before. Saved my life on several occasions!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I don't... takes 10+ hours to do that everytime dealwithit.png

You're using the wrong software and backup settings then, I do 2 incremental backups to 2 difference drives during the night, with ATI and they take maybe 5-10 minutes each. Even the full monthly backup takes around 45 minutes for the 1Tb from my system drive.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I use Acronis True Image and always do full backups on alternating externals. The part that takes ages is backing the 1TB and 4TB HDDs. After all it's my data that I want to save up. In case I could reinstall Windows anytime, but getting my data back would be impossible without backups. And I don't do incrementals becasue I don't want to have a backup system that relies on a gazillion of incremental files where the whole thing breaks completely if one of the files in chain fails. My system SSD is done in about 15-20 minutes though. BTW as for the data HDDs it's actually faster to just copy the stuff via Windows, weirdly. That said, I'm still on stone age SSDs that are plugged to Cretaceous SATA ports and USB 2 since Gigabyte's Z77 USB3 ship is effin unreliable (that brand is so dead for me, biggest mistake I ever made) and you don't want a backup process to be constantly aborted because "the thing could go faster" messages poppin' up all the time and resetting the connection. Those ain't even remotely fast to these days' standards.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Each to his own, I guess, but IMO, incremental backups are the way with a full one every x days. Then you have all sorts of versions of files available to you in each increment. You mention breaking the chain if one of the 'gazillion' files fail, well, all I can say is that in many years of using incremental backups, that has never been an issue. In any case, there is no need for 'gazillions' of files. You only need a few in between each full backup. Whatever you set that interval to.is the number of files you'll have.

Copying from Windows is a non-starter IMO. Firstly because it's clunky, and secondly, for the reason I mentioned above, i.e. not having different version of the file available to restore.

I like the smoothness and invisibility of ATI doing my backups during the night, one to my HDD, and one to my NAS. The only time I have any input at all, is when I need to restore a version of a file.

I could fix it if it was on my PC, as I have studied the logbook.lua some time ago and exported its content (restructured) into an Access database.

You have to locate the Campaign (called "Game" in the lua) and then..

look for status: For an active campaign the status line is: ["status"] = "Active",

There may be more fields to check, it's a while ago. The format is a bit strange. The hierarchy of the objects is denoted by the indentation of the lines, and objects are not listed in a logical sequence. That makes it a bit hard (especially if you have more than 1 campaign in the logbbook.lua) but with patience and logical thinking you can get it re-activated.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The simplest I would take it is:

1. Rename the file of the 1st .miz - add .bak at the end. Rename the file for the 7th .miz with the original filename of 1st mission.

2. Start the campaign normally - you should start with mission #7.

3. If completed - hopefully next one will be #8 (not sure). If not, edit logbook.lua with the "next mission" filename to the one of the 8th miz.

4. Rename the 1st mission again to original 7th name and remove .bak from the original #1.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria