Warthog Speedbrake Switch with the Viper

I may be alone here but just wondering if anyone else has similar frustration..

The Speedbrake switch on the Warthog throttle has 2 positions/functions:

Aft: is a momentary, sprung switch, which returns to centre when released

Fwd: is a permanent position which needs to be clicked back to centre to disengage.

So, for me at least, I'd say the intention of that design would be to for:

Aft to extend the speedbrake momentarily, retracting when released. Perfect for fine manouvering/formation/refueling

Fwd to extend and leave extended until clicked back to centre. Perfect for Viper landings etc.

The problem is that the DCS Control bindings are limited to:

SPD BRK Switch (special) - Fwd/RETRACT /OFF

SPD BRK Switch - Aft/EXTEND (Momentary)

SPD BRK Switch - Fwd/RETRACT

SPD BRK Switch - OFF

and no combination of those can achive what I'm looking for.

In fact, the only possible configuration is Aft=Extend and FWD click=Retract (after which clicking it back to the centre does nothing, though you have to do it anyway before you can use the brake again!)

I have managed a workaround, using Aft=Extend in the DCS controls setup and then using a Voiceattack joystick bind to execute a 1 second retract when the Aft button is released. This gives me the momentary control.

Similarly, Voiceattack joystick binds for Fwd= a 1 second extend, and then a click back to centre (button release in Voiceattack)= 1 second retract, gives me a permanent extend and retract.

These work pretty well, unless you attempt to reverse the function within the 1 second delay, which I guess is acceptable if not perfect.

Anyway, it's a solution if anyone wants it. I think you could achieve the same using the free RS Mapper if you don't have Voiceattack.

The Viper switch works physically the same but it is back to extend, forward to retract. I can't really help you program it the way you want unfortunately.

The thought process is sprung back to extend so you can get a finer control and have to intentionally keep your thumb on the switch to set the exact amount of brake you want. It will spring center when done so that your brakes stay where you left them. The stay forward switch is for retract and kind of a "set it and forget it" so you don't have to monitor the speed brake indicator etc. that they are in when you need the speed and can focus on accelerating the jet, which are usually more task saturated times.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Much as I bow to your experience, that's one of the main reasons why I want this set up. I haven't (yet) found a scenario where I'd need a finely-set partial speedbrake (tricky anyway as it fully extends in less than a second and the indicator only shows open or closed) I'd rather have momentary braking while held AFT and a locked permanent brake Fwd, both without ever needing to look at instruments because centre position on the HOTAS is ALWAYS fully retracted. With the official setup you do need to monitor the speed brake indicator because once you've set it with Aft it remains on when back at centre, so difficult to know for sure if you've remembered to turn it off without checking instruments. I'll admit I'm only a couple of months into flying the Viper, but I've lost count of how many times I've forgotton to turn the thing off with the original config ;)

• Like 1

Isn't there FC3 style key commands that will get you what you want: B/SHift+b? Maybe I'm confusing modules, you can tell I don't think about the simple things. In my mind I feel like this is already in there but I could be wrong. However, I would think a simple custom keyboard command isn't far from achieving what you're trying to do.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Isn't there FC3 style key commands that will get you what you want: B/SHift+b? Maybe I'm confusing modules, you can tell I don't think about the simple things. In my mind I feel like this is already in there but I could be wrong. However, I would think a simple custom keyboard command isn't far from achieving what you're trying to do.

Unfortunately not. The only F-16C speedbrake bindings are shown in my first post. I guess there could be a Joystick default.lua edit that could do it but I really don't want to start doing that.

Been playing with the setup described above with Voiceattack keyboard scripts today and it actually works perfectly. I always use Voiceattack so problem solved.

The reason for having to use a scipt (which says "press for 1 secord) to release the AFT spring, apply the FWD switch or release the FWD switch, is becuase it takes just under 1 second to fully open or fully close the boards, so a simple "press and release" doesn't work and a press without a release locks every other button out ;)

it’s modeled after the real jet, held aft to let you “fan” the boards or fully deploy them... Springs back to center to hold them to the position the pilot set them. Latched forward to retract them fully and prevent them from creeping open on their own

• Like 1

If you need the airbrake for formation or AAR fine tuning, you've got to work on your throttle skills rather than trying to invent a feature that's not in the Viper.

Be more relaxed with the throttle, be more patient (need airbrake = been too fast = been to impatient/cut throttle too late), work on planning ahead, this also comes with time (patience again ;) ).

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM | CH-53 variant (preferably MH-53 Pave Low)

Ouch, that's a bit harsh (although resoundingly accurate, and points well taken)

If we're going to be pedantic about features however, my wee innovation pales in comparison to that fact that someone appears to have ripped the original Viper throttle, speedbrake and all, out of my jet and replaced it with one from a Warthog ;)

Ouch, that's a bit harsh (although resoundingly accurate, and points well taken)

If we're going to be pedantic about features however, my wee innovation pales in comparison to that fact that someone appears to have ripped the original Viper throttle, speedbrake and all, out of my jet and replaced it with one from a Warthog ;)

Throttle work is key in the Viper and tough to get right but that is the name of this beast :). For one that has not flown F-16 in sims for a long time, and got used to the F-18/F-5/A-10 power delivery, man, it takes some time to come back. If I should get my callsign today, it would be yo-yo ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]