F-84F Thunderstreak

TLTeo

Since the other two wishlist threads in this section have two of the most iconic aircraft of the Italian Air Force during the Cold War, I figured I'd open one more with a third iconic jet from the same era - the F-84F Thunderstreak, also known as "Thud's mother" for obvious reasons:

90EAEC55-290F-99C9-6403-1D2213A6AE07.jpg

6CA163C9-D9AC-2C0A-B32F-33D0C6C2204C.jpg

170428-F-ZZ999-106.JPG

00c716192152374278a8cfd672882c8a.jpg?resize=1160%2C651&ssl=1

ccb46b294db2767646b9aa20bc0cd74c.jpg

Compared to other flashier jets, arguing for the Thunderstreak to be added is a bit more of a longshot, but hear me out:

1) Over 1300 of these were sento to NATO air forces, and in fact before it was replaced by the F-104 and F-5, it was the most common fighter jet in Europe, bar none (yes, even more common than the Sabre)

2) In Italy, it re-started the tradition of aerobatic flying that eventually resulted in the formation of the Frecce Tricolori. It's as big a part of their history as the G.91 and MB-339 are, meaning it also fits with IndaFoxtEcho's current projects very well.

3) It can carry far more ordnance than the F86, on longer distances. In practice, this means one deliver ~4000-6000 lbs of ordnance on any target in a DCS sized map without the need for external tanks - something which the Sabre and even the F-5 can only dream of.

4) Unlike the Sabre we have, export blocks came with some (limited) all-weather capability including an ILS and even a radar bombing system, in which ground stations would guide aircraft carrying a transponder to an appropriate bomb drop point - with the caveat that this was mainly a method for high altitude nuclear delivery, so the information out there is somewhat limited. Nevertheless, similar methods were then used in Vietnam to deliver conventional bombs. The Thunderstreak (along with the Canberra) pioneered these systems.

5) Between air to air refueling, large ordnance loads and JATO capability, it's actually very well suited to the relatively small maps we have in DCS.

6) Obviously the more Cold War assets the better, and the Mig-15, -19 and (stretching things a bit) -21 would make for natural opponents (mostly as interceptors, as they all are superior in a2a combat, while generally being inferior in a2g capability).

All in all it may not be as glamorous an aircraft as, say, the Century Series, but it's a very important piece of aviation history nonetheless.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 9

Pretty nice choice. :thumbup:

Will this also be collab with Sim Skunk works?

This is not an announcement of any type, I'm not involved with IndiaFoxtEcho or the Frecce Tricolori Virtuali. I'm just pointing out that if they are going to foucs on iconic NATO/Italian Cold War jets (as they have hinted at a couple of times), the Thunderstreak should absolutely be in the conversation.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd definitely support most modules from the 50's and early 60's! With the fourth gen American fighters pretty much filled in, and the fourth gen European and Russian fighters more and more unlikley due to restrictions of  enough available public information to build a high fidelity DCS quality module. The Third Parties are going to have to start tackling earlier first, second, and third gen fighters to keep people purchasing full priced modules and pre-orders. The problem I recall facing these earlier fighters is the scarcity of aeronautical data on many of the airframes. When companies like Republic Aviation went out of business entire libraries of technical documents, wind tunnel data,... etc was figuratively put to the torch. This is one of the reasons I've seen in the various forums that lead to the lengthy development of the P-47 Thunderbolt by Eagle Dynamics. I hope we do see aircraft like the 'Mini Thud' in DCS in the future!

• Like 4

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

You had me at the thread title. If you could also do the F-84 Thunder jet - I know it will be a seperate module I will buy both. I love Alexander Kartavelli's work.

Seversky_Alexander_Kartveli,_Chief_Engin

On 2/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, Ravenus said:

Plis gib for Koreaa

The Thunder Streak and Thunder Jet were different planes, but I'd like both too 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can use the Korea/Japan map from 1950 onward with DCS.  The developers just need to remember to make it with different era city density/modernization specifics, like the Mariana's map.  The Syria map going down into the Sinai and Suez, with some of Jordan would be nice too, from 1948 (Six Day War) to present could be done on that map. Maps are just too short sighted for my tastes, some pretty, some not so much. Imagine French Carriers launching F4U-5 Corsairs, the RN launching SkyHawks off of a HMS carrier. Israelis flying A-4, Mirage's, Egyptians in Migs, Su's, and Jordans flying their mix too.

Sempre Fortis

The Thunderstreak didn't really fly in Korea though, it wasn't ready in time to replace the Thunderjet.

Syria is super performance hungry as is so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to enlarge it vs just having a separate map placeholder with the Sinai (which, yeah, would be a really good map for late 40s-mid 60s modules), but either way between the close ties between Israel and France in the 50s, and how much Greece and Turkey used theirs, it would fit the current Syria map perfectly well.

I would like to see any aircraft from this era, but F-84F Thunderstreak didn't have a luck to see any serious combat. It was too late for Korean War when F-84 Thunderjet was widely used, but USAF replaced it with F-105 Thunderchief before Vietnam War.

All in all Thunderjet for Korean War or Thunderchief for Vietnam War would be better, but F-84F would be good as well for Cold War gone hot in Europe 1950s.

Edited by bies

F-84F is extremely important for Europe air forces with F-104G and F-86, those three planes helped standardize all the american-allies air forces until the '70s

Unfortunately without a Europe map it's hard to find an accurate place for the F-84F but i love "What if" missions and i'd love to fly it in PG, Syria and even Caucasus.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, bies said:

I would like to see any aircraft from this era, but F-84F Thunderstreak didn't have a luck to see any serious combat. It was too late for Korean War when F-84 Thunderjet was widely used, but USAF replaced it with F-105 Thunderchief before Vietnam War.

All in all Thunderjet for Korean War or Thunderchief for Vietnam War would be better, but F-84F would be good as well for Cold War gone hot in Europe 1950s.

It did see combat briefly with the French Air Force during the Suez Canal Crisis of 1956.And we are getting a map of Egypt in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...