NEW Afterburner Gate option + keybind.How does it work?

GunSlingerAUS

I use the Virpil MongoosT throttle which doesn't have any physical detents, so am quite keen to learn more about this new Afterburner Gate keybind. Can anybody explain how it works, and does it solve the problem of non-detent throttles accidentally going into AB?

• Thanks 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Did you try maybe...reading the description next to the option? In case you didn't, it installs mini gremlins inside your throttle that push back against you as you try to push the throttle into afterburner. When you press the gate key they let go. It was tricky to get them to behave correctly, believe me. :)

Edited by fat creason
  • Thanks 1

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

I use the Virpil MongoosT throttle which doesn't have any physical detents, so am quite keen to learn more about this new Afterburner Gate keybind. Can anybody explain how it works, and does it solve the problem of non-detent throttles accidentally going into AB?

I'm using 3d printed detents on my v3 Virpil throttle, so wondering if I should bother. Had to adjust my curves a bit for the F-14A but seem to be working now after the whole binding issue recovery thing, though seems from my reading that the F-14 didn't actually have AB detents?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I use a printed detent as well but want to use it so I can be certain I'm at MIL and not going to AB when right on the stops.

I was curious as well whether it was a "push while advancing throttles past MIL" button, or whether it's an on/off toggle where you need to disable it when you want to drop back to MIL, or does it autodisable after going below AB?

• Thanks 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Did you try maybe...reading the description next to the option? In case you didn't, it installs mini gremlins inside your throttle that push back against you as you try to push the throttle into afterburner. When you press the gate key they let go. It was tricky to get them to behave correctly, believe me. :)

Official Manual - no description.

Key mapping - no description (that I noticed when trying to map)

Patch notes - no description.

So, uh, where is the description you mention, and does said description explain how this much-wanted feature actually works?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

On the option itself. You'll notice that each option has a description to let you know what it does before you select it. Neat, huh? :thumbup:

Interesting - it'd be nice if they mentioned in the patch notes that this was a special option, and not just a keybind.

It was?

• NEW Afterburner Gate option + keybind.

OK, I guess I was just too dumb to realise! Got it set up and working, should be handy for ensuring I don't accidentally hit the AB when taking off in the B.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 11:14 PM, fat creason said:

On the option itself. You'll notice that each option has a description to let you know what it does before you select it. Neat, huh? :thumbup:

Capture.thumb.JPG.cda550b6fb8c67577562bd151289b99e.JPG

Tks, I was wondering why it was not working here... I didn't check it, only binded a key in the F-14 setup.

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png

On 11/22/2020 at 11:37 PM, GunSlingerAUS said:

Interesting - it'd be nice if they mentioned in the patch notes that this was a special option, and not just a keybind.

You're right... I taught my key was broken... tried with a second one, no success...

Edited by =Skywarp=

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png