View Question

Ryanwtod

Hmm not sure which unit are we talking about? You can definitely give orders without having to hop in the vehicle. Use the menu on the lower left to give formation and path/target order, though sometimes you have to double check because CA can be reluctant . I personally do that a lot with the artillery, give them targets and watch the splashes. Answered your question?

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

I just created this small test scen in the editor, see if you can pick up any clues-

1- The setup, my Abrams vs a line of BTR's-

a.png

2- I start the game and my AI gunner begins automatically shooting-

4.png

3- I hit Rt-Alt-J to enter the tank and take over the gun, which now must be fired manually, this is the gunsight-

2.png

4- I hit F7 to go to external view but the gun WON'T fire because my soul is still inside the tank in the gunners seat-

3.png

5- So I hit Rt-Alt-J to get out of the gunners seat, and he begins firing again on his own initiative..:)

1.png

I wasn't talking about any specific unit. But for artillery for example I know how to assign a target. Once I do is there a way to jump to an exterior view of that unit without taking them over so I can watch them fire?

If you click on something then press F7 it should take you to that specific unit, should work the same as F2 for aircraft, F9 for ships and F6 for weapons, if you select it from the map when you press the keybind it should centre on the unit you selected.

@PoorOldSpike if you want a 3rd person view of the vehicle, while retaining control of it, the better option is to use 'Isometric View' which I think is Insert by default. I'm not aware of a way to look in a particular direction without the turret following the mouse.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

@PoorOldSpike if you want a 3rd person view of the vehicle, while retaining control of it, the better option is to use 'Isometric View' which I think is Insert by default. I'm not aware of a way to look in a particular direction without the turret following the mouse.

Yeah there are lots of ways to play CA, whatever floats your boat, personally I rarely go inside tanks or vehicles or use isometric view because I prefer floating like a god above the battlefield ordering my groups to go here / go there on the F10 map, then sit munching my popcorn while watching them shoot up the enemy on their own initiative like in the pics below..:)-

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t7.jpg

• Like 1

If you click on something then press F7 it should take you to that specific unit, should work the same as F2 for aircraft, F9 for ships and F6 for weapons, if you select it from the map when you press the keybind it should centre on the unit you selected.

Maybe it's not relevant here but it should also be noted that in MP on some servers external views are disabled. There the only way to see your tank from the outside is the isometric view. There is a strong limit in zooming out though, your viewpoint will always be rather close to the vehicle which limits overall view, unlike F7 where you can zoom out very far.

Maybe it's not relevant here but it should also be noted that in MP on some servers external views are disabled. There the only way to see your tank from the outside is the isometric view. There is a strong limit in zooming out though, your viewpoint will always be rather close to the vehicle which limits overall view, unlike F7 where you can zoom out very far.

Yeah, that's a point, I haven't used multiplayer in ages. Might be a good idea to have external views enabled/disabled for some players and not others (e.g players in observer slots), but keep it optional so it can be enforced?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I like external views (also called 3rd-person views) in 3D wargames because it's more realistic.

Games without them are like first-person shooters.

How is it more realistic?

It's definitely easier and probably more cinematic, but if it were for real, you'd probably be looking through a sight to see where you're going (obviously tank dependent), and what you're shooting at. Though admittedly in DCS this is super simplified, and it's nothing like how a tank simulator or even how a certain infantry based MilSim with a particular DLC is like (and that's not full fidelity either).

In any case DCS still has a long way to go before we get anything resembling a tank simulator, even if not full-fidelity.

System:

PoorOldSpike said- I like external views (also called 3rd-person views) in 3D wargames because it's more realistic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it more realistic?.

Well with 1st-person you're looking through the eyes of your character and it feels like you've got your head in a box with slits for the eyes and with no situational awareness and I hated it when I tried it in all sorts of 3D games..:)

On 11/28/2020 at 10:12 AM, PoorOldSpike said:

PoorOldSpike said- I like external views (also called 3rd-person views) in 3D wargames because it's more realistic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure that's how it is inside a real tank.

Well with 1st-person you're looking through the eyes of your character and it feels like you've got your head in a box with slits for the eyes and with no situational awareness and I hated it when I tried it in all sorts of 3D games..:)

8 hours ago, JSpidey said:

I'm pretty sure that's how it is inside a real tank.

Yes. In a real tank there are at least three crewmembers who can look outside from different viewpoints and share the various tasks however, so there probably is a little more SA than we have in CA (or ArmA). Plus the enemy can't spot you through foliage and the like like here in CA, so I feel the isometric view is a good compromise at times due to the limitations mentioned.

• 2 months later...