Viggen lighting

Scandfox

Why would we close your thread? I closed your previous thread because discussing whether or not something should or would be, that is and that won't go away, is a loss of time for us. I mean that in the most literal way - there was certainly nothing personal about it.

What in your opinion is wrong with the Viggen lighting? We fixed it, when we fixed the Tomcat lighting. If you tell me what is bugging you so much, I can tell you, whether or not that is an item on our list. And if we overlooked something, we will of course add it. :)

Just to add: the answer will always be yes, if it is a legitimate bug, etc...

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Copy. Thanks. Let's make this the Viggen lighting thread then. List all the issues you guys find. We're in no way perfect and if there are issues remaining, we'll look into them, as always.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Thanks for Your quick answer....

The issues i will describe below is regarding Night operation

The problem with Viggen after som updates is the taxi/landing light...they are too weak...You can't find yourself to the runway and You land in totally darkness on military airfields as the landing lights can't give You any reference

The Anti-Collison light is too strong andlights up interior and exterior

The radar light is too bright as well as the dials in CK37

EP13 is too bright i daytime unable to dim

If You could fix taxi/landing lights I can live with the other "snags" but why not jump into a Viggen and find out Yourself how the situation is for a pilot who shall perform an Anti-Ship mission in Night

If You cant resolve the lights I will comtinue to fly Viggen as a Day-Only fighter, I love this plane since i flew it IRL in Sweden

Best Regards

Scandfox

• Like 1

While I'm fine with the cockpit lighting as is (though still missing the in-cockpit EP13 controls, and it would be nice if the RADAR filter could be made clickable, haven't noticed anything else) as well as the correct textures on the canopy frame countermeasures switch), there are a few exterior light issues that I noticed:

• Cold and Dark, the left half of the position lights (the white lights on the trailing edge of the aircraft) are always on, again completely cold and dark, every system off, no ground power, no anything. Haven't found a way to turn them off.
  • Turning the navigation lights on (either half or full (hopefully that's what it translates to)) turns the position lights on (or rather the rest of them on, there's no way to turn the left-half of the position lights off as far as I can tell), even if the position lights switch is off.
  • The anti-collision light shines inside the intakes, engine rear, RAT, cockpit (at least outside) and through the landing gear, as well as other components that shouldn't have a line of sight to either rotating beacon (like the underside of the flaps for instance). It also makes the position lights on either side of the engine nozzle appear to blink red. Also when the landing light is on the anti-collision light causes this weird glow as it shines through it.

Track attached below (though on the SoH map, I can't get enough of how well the lighting is done in this map compared to all of the others).

Viggen_Ext_Lighting_Issues.trk

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The interior cockpit lights have one issue I know of. On the six gauges that lie flat up in the front corners under the main console (nozzle position, pitch trim, etc), the backgrounds light but the needles don't illuminate so you can't read them at night.

Pics in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/licensed-third-party-projects/heatblur-simulations/dcs-ajs37-viggen/bugs-and-problems-az/7121898-art-pitch-trim-needle-not-illuminated-by-instrument-lights

I see the original thread picked up an [ART] tag but never saw anyone from HB respond, so I'm not sure what this bug's disposition is.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Thanks for Your quick answer....

The issues i will describe below is regarding Night operation

The problem with Viggen after som updates is the taxi/landing light...they are too weak...You can't find yourself to the runway and You land in totally darkness on military airfields as the landing lights can't give You any reference

The Anti-Collison light is too strong andlights up interior and exterior

The radar light is too bright as well as the dials in CK37

EP13 is too bright i daytime unable to dim

If You could fix taxi/landing lights I can live with the other "snags" but why not jump into a Viggen and find out Yourself how the situation is for a pilot who shall perform an Anti-Ship mission in Night

If You cant resolve the lights I will comtinue to fly Viggen as a Day-Only fighter, I love this plane since i flew it IRL in Sweden

Best Regards

Scandfox

Thanks for the input, Scandfox. We will look into your points. I agree, taxi light is still too dim. I ask mainly to get your feedback, because my personal preferences, etc can be different. On my 4k QLED local dimming etc makes steps of black very distinguishable, for me it never feels like night anyway. Everyone has a different monitor, etc... Your input is much more important than for example what I think and gives us a better idea what we might need to improve upon still.

We will be collecting all you guys' input, and then see what we can make better still. I think none of these issues should be a huge problem.

Heatblur Simulations

The "Taxi/ landing light switch" only have two positions instead of the 3 that it should have. Right now we only have the taxi light and the off positions, we are missing the "Till" (on) setting where both the 2 landing lights and the taxi light are lit.

The lantern switch also turns on the "Ledljus", which it shouldn't.

The left side "Ledljus" and rear lantern are also constantly turned on as previously stated above. There is also a missing light inside the air brakes on the sides, they are there to light up the air brakes when extended.

It would also be nice to be able to use the brightness selector and the "HEL/HALV" setting on the lanterns, especially now with the NVG's being added..

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

• 2 weeks later...

Also found a couple more:

• At night, the HUD symbology changes from green to almost near white turquoise, while the numbers stay green (on the horizon line it looks like there's a green line, with the nearly white turquoise line on top of it).
  • The anti-collision (red rotating beacon) light illuminates a piece of the cockpit to the top-left of the clock, when there shouldn't be a line of sight to either rotating beacon.

Viggen_Int_Lighting_Issues.trk

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

A question about anti-collision lights/rotating beacons(antikollisionsljus) and AI AJS 37.

During startup at day and night, AI AJS 37:s don´t have their anti-collision lights on.

AI AJS 37:s only turns them on before take-off when they are on the runway.

I think I´ve read somwhere, that anti-collision lights always should be turned on before starting the engine?

Or am I wrong?

It also appears that AI AJS 37:s turns the anti-collision lights on during approach and landing and as soon as they leave the runway,

they turn the anti-collision lights off.

This occurs during day and night.

It seems a bit odd to me unless I have misunderstood all this.:-)

I would also like to add that the Taxilight during night is nearly invisible for me too.

It is the same in the Caucasus map, NTTR map, Persian Gulf map as well on the Syria map.

(Taxilights work just  fine on the other two aircraft modules i bought. (F-18C Lot 20 and C-101).

Other than that I must say that the AJS 37 module is by FAR the module I like the most I in DCS. THANK YOU HEATBLUR!!!

I bought the AJS 37 module the same day It was released in early 2017. 

I would be most grateful for an answer.

My system Specs:

Intel Coffee Lake i5-8400 6x4,0GHz 9mb cache, 32 GB DDR4 2400MHz, 480GB SSD m.2, GTX1070 8GB, Philips(273E) 27"LED monitor.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Otulf said:

I would also like to add that the Taxilight during night is nearly invisible for me too.

Yeah, this is a known issue and hopefully gets fixed soon!

I don't know about the lights SOP though, but I'm interessted in the answer too.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 hours ago, Otulf said:

I think I´ve read somwhere, that anti-collision lights always should be turned on before starting the engine?

Or am I wrong?

No, you're right. There's a lengthy post I could make about treaties, regulations, definitions, interpretations, liability, accident investigation, civil vs military etc... But the short reply is yes always turn it on for engine start. Always keep it on. Only turn it off when you need to have it off (for safety reasons, like it gives somebody something to aim a weapon at). Turn it off after the engine has been shut down after the flight.

This is one hell of a beautiful module, one of the best no doubt. I've owned it for a while but only starting now to get fully into it this week. The lighting definitely needs looking at it's just not functioning correctly needs some tweaking as per the posts above. I cannon see the taxi/landing light at all in daytime and the cockpit lighting is way too dim also imho, maybe ED patches in recent months have caused these problems but it needs attention.

An excellent module, very interesting and unique plane.

Would just love to be able to use the plane at night with landing/taxi light which are too dim , nearly non existent

And the scope for the viggen maverick which is way too bright, dont know if irl you can dim it or not

Any possible ETA on those fix?

Edited by gregfp66

39 minutes ago, gregfp66 said:

And the scope for the viggen maverick which is way too bright, dont know if irl you can dim it or not

There are keybinds for brightness and contrast. I can't remember the exact name but you should be able to find it by searching for brightness. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."