cycle weapons when hud not soi

twistking

Is there a way to cycle weapon profiles when HUD is not Soi and the DSMS Profile Page is not (!) up on a MFD?

It's the only real problem i have with the a-10c hotas integration: I think it's cumbersome. Is there not another way to cycle profiles without having the DSMS occupying one MFD?

Is there a way to cycle weapon profiles when HUD is not Soi and the DSMS Profile Page is not (!) up on a MFD?

It's the only real problem i have with the a-10c hotas integration: I think it's cumbersome. Is there not another way to cycle profiles without having the DSMS occupying one MFD?

Short answer is no.

Other than being able to cycle the master mode button (which will go from NAV, GUN, CCIP, CCRP - then next depression will return to NAV - press and hold for A/A mode) no.

1. Ideally, you would have your intended target VID'd (this is typically done at a safe range)

2. Have sensor of your choice on that target, generated SPI

3. Quick coolie switch forward/up for HUD SOI

4. Master mode to desired category (GUN/CCIP/CCRP)

5. DMS left or right to select desired weapon.

6. Roll in and get on final attack heading.

7. Master ARM on (if I intend on using GAU-8, I cycle GUNPAC ARM prior to Master ARM on).

8. Employ weapon.

Excluding step #1 above, steps 2-5 typically take less than 3 seconds (once you are versed with the A10C).

Realistically, after VID'ing the target and generating a SPI - you should immediately call up the weapon profile that best suits the attack while setting up for the attack run - which typically involves extending to some degree, which not only allows you to have a few extra moments to call up the best suited weapon profile - but allows you to determine the best final attack heading as well.

DMS aft long will command DSMS display on both MFDs, however if you are going to use a profile that you have customized, you'll need to select the profile, via the profile OSB, then scroll to the desired profile, then selecting via ACT PRO OSB - which is cumbersome and requires you to take a hand off the HOTAS.

Once you have spent enough time in the pit, the HOTAS commands are actually very intuitive - but it does require you to develop that flow, which comes at a shorter or greater amount of time depending on experience, confidence and skill. Stay after it, it will come!

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 2

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Short answer is no.

Other than being able to cycle the master mode button (which will go from NAV, GUN, CCIP, CCRP - then next depression will return to NAV - press and hold for A/A mode) no.

1. Ideally, you would have your intended target VID'd (this is typically done at a safe range)

2. Have sensor of your choice on that target, generated SPI

3. Quick coolie switch forward/up for HUD SOI

4. Master mode to desired category (GUN/CCIP/CCRP)

5. DMS left or right to select desired weapon.

6. Roll in and get on final attack heading.

7. Master ARM on (if I intend on using GAU-8, I cycle GUNPAC ARM prior to Master ARM on).

8. Employ weapon.

Excluding step #1 above, steps 2-5 typically take less than 3 seconds (once you are versed with the A10C).

Realistically, after VID'ing the target and generating a SPI - you should immediately call up the weapon profile that best suits the attack while setting up for the attack run - which typically involves extending to some degree, which not only allows you to have a few extra moments to call up the best suited weapon profile - but allows you to determine the best final attack heading as well.

DMS aft long will command DSMS display on both MFDs, however if you are going to use a profile that you have customized, you'll need to select the profile, via the profile OSB, then scroll to the desired profile, then selecting via ACT PRO OSB - which is cumbersome and requires you to take a hand off the HOTAS.

Once you have spent enough time in the pit, the HOTAS commands are actually very intuitive - but it does require you to develop that flow, which comes at a shorter or greater amount of time depending on experience, confidence and skill. Stay after it, it will come!

Cheers,

Ziptie

There's no need to select master mode (your point 4) before selecting weapon profile. The profile you select will override your selected master mode.

One of the rocker buttons on the UFC will cycle weapon profiles (the "sel" buttons iirc)

you can see the active weapon in the HUD to know when you have the correct one.

• Like 1

thanks to all for the answers.

i just realized that my issue also partly arises from the fact that i'm on stable branch, where cooli up still toggles between HUD and HMCS. When things get hot and Sams are buzzing by i sometimes toggle to HMCS SOI instead of HUD SOI. I think that with the updated HOTAS commands this will be much less of a concern.

There's no need to select master mode (your point 4) before selecting weapon profile. The profile you select will override your selected master mode.

There is, if you wish to avoid cycling through all the weapon profiles. Doing it the way I outlined separates profiles established via DSMS - but you are correct, you can cycle through weapon profiles in numerous ways. The steps I outlined are my preference. It's the fastest way for me to accomplish it, and how my flow goes.

My loadout consists of 2x AGM65G, 2x CBU105, 2x GBU12, 7 APKS, 2xAIM9M. After setting up my profiles via DSMS:

Master mode CCIP, DMS L/R cycles between AGM65 & APKS.

Master mode CCRP, DMS L/R cycles between CBU105 & GBU12.

For me it's faster to accomplish this in the manner I outlined. For you, maybe not. For another, maybe not. For another, maybe. For the OP who seems to be struggling with the HOTAS commands in the A10C - now he has your suggested method, mine and others. Undoubtedly the OP will find a flow that works for them. After all, that is why there are numerous ways to achieve the same goal in the A10C.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 1 month later...

So is it in fact correct that you need to have the DSMS up on one of the MFCD's and HUD as SOI in order to cycle through the profiles using the left/right DMS button?  I just upgraded my release level yesterday, (I only run the stable releases) and I've noticed some changes in my ability to change weapons profiles. 

I thought I remember being able to change profiles with DMS left/right with almost any sensor as SOI before the A10CII release.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Not exactly the same topic, but a weird thing happened to me last night.

I had the HUD selected.  I tried to change the steer point (DMS U/D).  Nothing was happening.  So I tried to change the selected weapon (DMS L/R).  Nothing was happening, or so I thought at first.  I noticed that as I was trying to change the selected weapon that the text at the steer point was changing.  It looked like it was basically cycling through all of the vehicles present in the area.  Just their text name.  I alt-tabbed out of the game to the control panel and checked HOTAS functionality.  It was just fine.  I alt-tabbed back into the game and everything was working correctly.

Pretty weird...

Caldera

On 11/22/2020 at 5:00 AM, Ziptie said:

I can’t for the life of me get this behavior to work. For me it starts cycling through the profiles in the same way (from top to bottom in the profiles list) wherher I’m in CCIP or CCRP master mode.

1 hour ago, EasyEB said:

I can’t for the life of me get this behavior to work. For me it starts cycling through the profiles in the same way (from top to bottom in the profiles list) wherher I’m in CCIP or CCRP master mode.

Have you setup the weapon profiles (customized them) via the DSMS prior to using mater mode select and then cycling individual profiles in CCIP or CCRP?  Most likely the cause if you haven't setup the weapons profiles via PROF in the DSMS.  Would be happy to make a quick video the next time I am available if it would help.

Cheers,

Ziptie

1 hour ago, Ziptie said:

Have you setup the weapon profiles (customized them) via the DSMS prior to using mater mode select and then cycling individual profiles in CCIP or CCRP?  Most likely the cause if you haven't setup the weapons profiles via PROF in the DSMS.  Would be happy to make a quick video the next time I am available if it would help.

Cheers,

Ziptie

I see, no just the stock profiles. Thanks, I’ll fiddle a bit but make a video either way!

Edited by EasyEB

Seems like I have been using UFC SEL UP and UFC SEL DOWN to cycle weapons.   The same rule applies, where MASTER MODE can not be in GUNS or it will just cycle the gun sight reticle.

I also use UFC STEER UP and UFC STEER DOWN to cycle steer points.

I have both bound to the keyboard arrow keys as:

UP DOWN  <==> steer

LEFT RIGHT <==> Weapons 

It is way faster than going back to the HUD. 

Caldera

On 11/22/2020 at 5:00 AM, Ziptie said:

Never exprienced that behavior. DMS alway cycles thru all weapons, and yes, I edit all profiles before take off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 9:25 PM, EasyEB said:

Still looking forward to that video.

Will see if I can make one this coming week.  Been busy with real life and haven't been bothered with DCS until today, where our mission went for 10 hours (without server restarts and nonsense that many or all others deal with).  Did fly the A10C2 though, and seemed to be able to cycle through the applicable weapons in respective master modes as described previously - so not sure what the difficulty is.  Maybe it's the weapon loadout that I use, which doesn't cause the behavior you outlined?  Not sure, but if I am able to make the video, I'll post a link here.  Don't hold your breath, unless you're a marine mammal, as you might run out.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, EasyEB said:

Any news on this video?

Negative, haven’t had much time to make any videos - however I did fly again today.  I think my experience might be different due to the weapon loadout I use?  Not sure.

I carry 1xCBU97, 4xGBU54, 2xAGM65G, 7xM151APKS, 2xAIM9M, 1xTGP, 1xALQ184.

When I select CCIP MM, DMSR, it calls up the 97 (I have profile set for CCIP for that weapon is DSMS PROF), DMSR again calls up MAV.

When I select CCRP MM, DMSR, it calls up GBU54, DMSR, it calls up APKS.

Maybe I was misunderstanding what the complaint/observation was before - or maybe I am disciplined enough to know what release mode I want/need for each weapon I intend to employ?

Either way, system(s) work perfectly for me and as expected.  Hope that helps or clarifies something.

Cheers,

Ziptie

4 minutes ago, Ziptie said:

or maybe I am disciplined enough to know what release mode I want/need for each weapon I intend to employ?

Right that must be it 😂

I just wanted to confirm that the way you described the system earlier was false. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, EasyEB said:

Right that must be it 😂

I just wanted to confirm that the way you described the system earlier was false. Thanks!

I can’t really say it is false, works as outlined prior for me.  Thanks!  Gotta go help clean out a bunch of Moose code for our mission, I’ll see if I can manage to record something tomorrow for you 🤙🏼

Cheers,

Ziptie

20 hours ago, EasyEB said:

Right that must be it 😂

Recorded a video for you today, it's a short one and is about 45 seconds.  I did however, neglect uploading it to YouTube before I left the house.  I'll work on doing that for you tomorrow or Saturday.  Maybe we can see if I was misunderstanding the complaint/observation, whether it is a help or not.

Cheers,

Ziptie