Reset trim shortcut?

DimSim

Sometimes after disengaging auto pilot, or suspending it, the autopilot leaves trim in an extreme position.

This is the auto pilot, not me, I never touch trim itself as it's rarely necessary with fly-by-wire.

When the auto pilot leaves trim in bad position, I have to push the stick almost full forward or backward to correct attitude and fly level until I adjust the trim.

Is there a way to automatically center the trim?

Sometimes after disengaging auto pilot, or suspending it, the autopilot leaves trim in an extreme position.

This is the auto pilot, not me, I never touch trim itself as it's rarely necessary with fly-by-wire.

When the auto pilot leaves trim in bad position, I have to push the stick almost full forward or backward to correct attitude and fly level until I adjust the trim.

Is there a way to automatically center the trim?

You should not disengage auto pilot during a turn or a climb.

Use AP SBY first to bring back to wing level before disengaging.

If you forgot, re-engage AP then use AP SBY.

Also don't use AP during formation flight (at least not maneuvering formation flight).

For instance it's OK next to the tanker just to trim "on speed" during straight leg, then disengage.

REARM CDVE on landing gear lever panel may do the trick, but it isn't the intended use...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

A good sim upgrade could be done here.

IRL going AP on (green) and then AP off or sby (Amber) leaves the plane trimmed for the current flight conditions (at the time of AP disengagement).

This is very often used to do a "quick trim" instead of using the trim hat on the stick.

A good sim upgrade could be done here.

IRL going AP on (green) and then AP off or sby (Amber) leaves the plane trimmed for the current flight conditions (at the time of AP disengagement).

This is very often used to do a "quick trim" instead of using the trim hat on the stick.

AFAIK, this is precisely how it's behaving in game and the source of his problem :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

He said "the autopilot leaves trim in an extreme position".

This is never the case, the trim is normally left by the AP in a perfect neutral position...

If you disengage the AP in climbing turn, you will have to fight your stick to get back manually to level flight...because you are trimmed for a climbing turn :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

Hence my comment...

IRL the airplane is trimmed for a given speed & altitude when you release the AP and you have no effort at all on the stick at this moment, whatever your attitude.

This is a discrepancy with real FBW behaviour

That would be a drastic change of behavior, if the pilot released an attitude hold at 20,000' +45 pitch and it adopted trim appropriate for 20,000' level flight.

Keep in mind this is a fly by wire aircraft, efforts in the stick are 100% artificial.

The aircraft is trimmed for a given set of airspeed / altitude / G load.

When you use AP you are usually below 2G, and therefore when you disconnect the AP your aircraft is perfectly trimmed for whatever attitude you had at the given Z/Vi set.

It's only when you start pulling Gs that you will feel an effort in the stick.

There is absolutely no difference in terms of effort in the stick between a level flight and a 45° climb...

The sim is somewhat weird in this regard compared to the real plane, this is an a new habit to be taken.

Well I thought the AP stby double tap would reset trim, I thought I read that somewhere but an update probably changed that since it now works only with wheels on the ground, it's an annoyance to do touch and go and having to reset the trim with the Rearm CDVE which doesn't have a key assigned? What jojo said is indeed what I use, I turn AP on, double tap stby AP then AP off but if it's like that IRL it's a weird design

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

In the plane you often go from AP amber to AP green just to get a nicely trimmed aircraft.

The only case where it is not sufficiently precise is just before AAR.

You disconnect the AP and then go for a slight light trim action.

In some circumstances AP connection is not possible because you have too much effort on the stick. In that case you have to trim roughly to decrease the efforts, then you can go AP on, and come back with a nicely trimmed aircraft.

In some circumstances, like close formation, it is however delicate to use the AP to get a good trim since you can not afford an unwanted AP action (like around 10° AOB).

What you said, using the AP overridden to "quick trim" as long as you're not reaching the operational limits, I do that to set up in wheel orbits. But if you trim without AP engaged then the AP will not override the trim setting right? I only trim with AP off for landing and AAR.

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

is there a "takeoff trim" command for mirage?

T/O trim is reset when MLG are WOW and the ap standby paddle is released. This is normally done when landing before lowering NLG. Of course you can do it any time on the ground but NLG WOW without T/O trim will produce a caution.

I don't understand the "have to reset trim when doing touch and go." It makes no sense to me. If you want to set T/O trim in the two point attitude then do so but that's not normal technique.

@Frederf You got me wrong, I never said I need take off trim, I said I need to reset the trim while flying. I trim the A/C to land but when I wave off after my touch ang go I want to reset the trim because adding power will raise the nose and second because I want to practice the next landing with a neutral A/C.