Those Glove Vanes...

Bremspropeller

Every time you bring up glove vanes, a puppy dies...

They aren’t “useless”, they just enhance turn rate in a flight regime that is rare. They do look cool, but not at the expense of cute, little puppies.

You got the glove vanes to extend by sweeping the wings aft using the throttle switch, then going to bomb mode.

Thing is, they DON'T look cool. They kill the lines of the swept back wing. They look like an afterthought.

And since, let's all be honest here, this whole thing is because Top Gun, and in the few ACTUAL plane shots of the Tomcat, you never see vanes, they aren't going to be on this module.

100% there will be no glove vane related changes in the FM.

Maybe we will add them as eye candy only. But please understand: we don't need convincing why they look cool, or what version had them, and whatnot. We'll make up our minds considering a plethora of factors that need to be weighed when developing software. Even only visually they are not a small task. They cost manhours of work. Manhours that might be needed elsewhere. Or manhours that might not be available. Or manhours that just might. And that would still be only 1 factor.

Sometimes you need to trust a bit that we know what we are doing, too. And that we have to manage and balance more than just community wishes, although we always try to put these on top, if only possible. And yes, sometimes the outcome will not be to your liking. We're willing to try most of what makes you happy. In return we need your support most, when we sometimes have to make decisions that do not make you as happy as others. There will always be trade offs, that's just how reality is. Hence, let us wait and see. As you know us, you know that we will definitely always give it our best.

Amen. And please do make it a sticky! Not a week goes by without people bringing this up :(

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Thing is, they DON'T look cool. They kill the lines of the swept back wing. They look like an afterthought.

Now that's funny! I had a VF-32 patch that I got from an airshow when I was a kid (I'm sowing my age here) it had the Glove Vanes extended. It always looked odd to me as opposed to the later ones.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

And since, let's all be honest here, this whole thing is because Top Gun, and in the few ACTUAL plane shots of the Tomcat, you never see vanes, they aren't going to be on this module.

Actually there is one turning shot where you can briefly see the vanes retracting. My wife and I were watching Top Gun the other day and I saw that out of the corner of my eye, so OF COURSE I had to pause and go back to see if that's actually what I was seeing. Surprised that it was! :) I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Anyway, not that this has any bearing on the discussion. IronMike's post nicely sums up the decision process.

I have quite a few pictures of VF-21s aircraft flying at the end of the '85 Westpac, which was their first deployment with the F-14. A couple are of a high-ish speed flyby with swept wings; 200 had glove vanes, 205 did not. On the whole I would have to agree the 'not' is more pleasing to the eye. They also looked brand new, mostly because they nearly were. With my 205mm lens you'd think they were showroom fresh.

<edit>

Decided to add a picture. Apologies for the grain; real day on a real ocean with real film shooting a fast object. 200 is forward inboard, 205 is aft outboard. Also might be worth noting I have a few shots of a 4-ship high-ish speed pass from VF-154, and none of them had glove vanes out.

1663279275_VF2120200-205.thumb.png.2ed8732e3a6364d3011f13c79669bc61.png

• Like 1

Maybe we will add them as eye candy only. But please understand: we don't need convincing why they look cool, or what version had them, and whatnot. We'll make up our minds considering a plethora of factors that need to be weighed when developing software. Even only visually they are not a small task. They cost manhours of work. Manhours that might be needed elsewhere. Or manhours that might not be available. Or manhours that just might. And that would still be only 1 factor.

Sometimes you need to trust a bit that we know what we are doing, too. And that we have to manage and balance more than just community wishes, although we always try to put these on top, if only possible. And yes, sometimes the outcome will not be to your liking. We're willing to try most of what makes you happy. In return we need your support most, when we sometimes have to make decisions that do not make you as happy as others. There will always be trade offs, that's just how reality is. Hence, let us wait and see. As you know us, you know that we will definitely always give it our best.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd be willing to wager that the bulk of us are deliriously happy with our Tomcat modules and couldn't care less if the glove vanes are there or not.

• Like 1

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

<snip>

Even only visually they are not a small task. They cost manhours of work. Manhours that might be needed elsewhere.

<snip>

Key statements here.

If IronMike decided to make me CEO for a day I'd tell him not to waste time on the vanes. After 10 years in service very few were in use, and honestly how much time are you going to spend with wings swept staring back at those oh-so-lovely slabs?

Given the quality of Heatblur's work I'd rather see the time it took to do this invested elsewhere, in the Viggen, the F-14, or a follow-on product.

Just my opinion, meaningless as always.

this is the thing i dont like about the community.. that;s really your opnion and you are in no position to declare that as a fact.

the glove vanes look cool to me and i want to see them (cosmetically) because in my opinion, they give the A cat here character.... sure i don;t mind waiting for it, heck it can even be the last thing they do before they stop work on the tomcat module and call it completed. Its got nothing to do with that execellent documentary

• Like 1

You do of course realize that you just created 500 pages of posts about “when are the glove vanes that Iron mike promised in his November post” coming don’t you?

Ill start,

since Iron mike said while they are not changing the FM But may add them cosmetically, can we expect them in the next patch......

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

You do of course realize that you just created 500 pages of posts about “when are the glove vanes that Iron mike promised in his November post” coming don’t you?

Ill start,

since Iron mike said while they are not changing the FM But may add them cosmetically, can we expect them in the next patch......

Two Weeks. :D

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I'd rather have Jester work like a real human RIO than have glove vanes, cosmetic or not.

I'd rather have TCS housings be swappable as an animation argument in the model than have glove vanes, for the A and B.

I'd rather have a D model TCS housing added in for AI D model usage than have glove vanes.

I'd rather have the USS Kennedy added than have Glove vanes.

I'd rather the UVW mapping and model inacuracies be done instead of glove vanes.

I could go on and on about things that would improve the Tomcat experience more from a functional perspective than adding non functional glove vanes. The late A model we have right now is supposed to be a contemporary to the 90s B models, at which point the vanes were permashut.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

The late A model we have right now is supposed to be a contemporary to the 90s B models, at which point the vanes were permashut.

That doesn't apply to the A models yet to come.

I'm a simple man. I'd rather have GVs and time spent on a new aircraft, than all the features you wan't.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Maybe we will add them as eye candy only.

I think that was the whole point of this discussion? ... because they look cool. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'd rather have Jester work like a real human RIO than have glove vanes, cosmetic or not.

I'd rather have TCS housings be swappable as an animation argument in the model than have glove vanes, for the A and B.

I'd rather have a D model TCS housing added in for AI D model usage than have glove vanes.

I'd rather have the USS Kennedy added than have Glove vanes.

I'd rather the UVW mapping and model inacuracies be done instead of glove vanes.

I could go on and on about things that would improve the Tomcat experience more from a functional perspective than adding non functional glove vanes. The late A model we have right now is supposed to be a contemporary to the 90s B models, at which point the vanes were permashut.

That's an awesome list that I can get with!:thumbup:

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Maybe a cosmetic addition (or mod) where they don't actually do anything to the flight model would be the via media for the early models.

I am intrigued by anecdotes that some pilots were manually deploying them for subsonic maneuvers and damaging them.

Well, now that ive learned of a new way to break the plane and virtual mechanics and tax payers weep this feature is definately higher on my list of must haves.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just be aware that if these even get added cosmetically, it will be extremely low priority and will not be considered a blocker to leaving early access status.

After the Hornet Roadmap and RAZBAM's waterglass, we're ready for everything. That would be very minor however.

And while we're at it, I'd rather (what a language which lets you have a full sentence without an actual verb) the Tornado than all those wishlist items.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

So on semi serious note, how much performance did these actually add supersonic?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Grumman very early on proposed deleting them but the fact that Navy wanted them points to supersonic intercepts so things like Outer Air Battle most likely. Most likely completely irrelevant without a Soviet style threat to the carriers.

Still... Grumman did incorporate the permanent deployed shape in the glove design for ST21, so there's something to it.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Just be aware that if these even get added cosmetically, it will be extremely low priority and will not be considered a blocker to leaving early access status.
And here all I want is my pretty instrument lighting back from pre 2.5.6 ????

She used to look so beautiful at night on my Rift S, and now she looks like an Amsterdam brothel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk