New WWII Damage Model & Observations

StormBat

Hello, today was a great day for my brother and I to test the new damage modeling for the WWII fighters & bombers. We didn't participate in the test servers, and so it was all a new experience for us. Not gonna lie, I was ecstatic when my cannons in my 109 K-4 tore through and ripped wings off, and cut whole tales off fighters, punished A20-G/B-17 bombers with fire and smoke billowing from destroyed engines. It was brilliant! Hell even my machine guns surprised me doing some great damage as well. One thing I did notice however was that even after everyone bailed out of a B-17 or A20 G the gunners still fired even though they now should not have been occupied.

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

Here is a sample of gunners still shooting after all bailed out

B-17 attacks after all bailout.trk

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

Damage to my plane looks great but it seems to me like the AI has gone invincible. Plenty of hits, flashes and info showing up saying hit AI (without % indication though) but they never go down. Anyone else having issues like this?

edit: nevermind found only the spits machine guns was mapped to my stick trigger

Hello, today was a great day for my brother and I to test the new damage modeling for the WWII fighters & bombers. We didn't participate in the test servers, and so it was all a new experience for us. Not gonna lie, I was ecstatic when my cannons in my 109 K-4 tore through and ripped wings off, and cut whole tales off fighters, punished A20-G/B-17 bombers with fire and smoke billowing from destroyed engines. It was brilliant! Hell even my machine guns surprised me doing some great damage as well. One thing I did notice however was that even after everyone bailed out of a B-17 or A20 G the gunners still fired even though they now should not have been occupied.

Can you compare the K-4 canon effectiveness on the player vs AI? I tried to rip wings off, even set the AI plane to the same side so he doesn't evade. But the AI DM seems to be unfinished yet. It's just impossible to shoot them off before the plane bursts into flames.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest that the developers watch real (not Il-2) gun camera footage from WW2.  Lots of great ACTUAL footage of aerial combat.  One thing I have noticed is the entire horizontal tail member gets shot off in one piece a lot in real combat - something to do with a single attachment point.  If you damage model after real gun camera footage, it would give you more realistic results.  Strafing a u-boat results in little or no damage.  At the very least, the anti-aircraft guns would be knocked out or reduced in effectiveness.  As good as DCS is it leaves us wanting more - Thanks for your existing work and I personally look forward to improvements and new projects!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Love what DCS has done with the damage model and planes.
Have a wishlist item, Occasionally or if
You put bullets in the right spot. Maybe the plane just explodes or has a complete catastrophic event .
I have snuck up on and hit some 190’s and 109’s and held the fire button down. The damage model is great and they go down. , In reading many books however, sometimes the planes guys were shooting simply blew up when hit in the right spot. Direct fuel tank hit I would expect .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hub said:

Love what DCS has done with the damage model and planes.
Have a wishlist item, Occasionally or if
You put bullets in the right spot. Maybe the plane just explodes or has a complete catastrophic event .
I have snuck up on and hit some 190’s and 109’s and held the fire button down. The damage model is great and they go down. , In reading many books however, sometimes the planes guys were shooting simply blew up when hit in the right spot. Direct fuel tank hit I would expect .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. Fuel tanks, specially if they are full, doesn't tend to explode. It's gasoline fumes what's really dangerous, in that regard an emptied tank is way more dangerous than anything else. Anyhow, I believe what more usually makes that huge explosion that can be seen in some guncam footage is a direct hit in the oxygen tank.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

1 hour ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Not really. Fuel tanks, specially if they are full, doesn't tend to explode. It's gasoline fumes what's really dangerous, in that regard an emptied tank is way more dangerous than anything else. Anyhow, I believe what more usually makes that huge explosion that can be seen in some guncam footage is a direct hit in the oxygen tank.

S!

Agree with you. But asked about this before. Answer was it's not finished but WIP.
Can't wait to see when it will be finished ! 🙂

What about the damage model of U-Boats. I have been bombing them with 4 spitfires, and the record is 62% damage, and even then the Uboat shoots back frequently. 😁

I wonder, how many bomb-runs it takes to sink a german U-Boat? And yeah, the Spitfires may not be made for it maybe.... I am not so good at history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyBgqLzwjsw

Edited by Vantskruv

2 hours ago, Vantskruv said:

What about the damage model of U-Boats. I have been bombing them with 4 spitfires, and the record is 62% damage, and even then the Uboat shoots back frequently. 😁

I wonder, how many bomb-runs it takes to sink a german U-Boat? And yeah, the Spitfires may not be made for it maybe.... I am not so good at history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyBgqLzwjsw

Modern aircrafts, vehicles and Ships dont use yet the new damage model. That require some improvements into the core to make them more realistic.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:43 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

S!

Not really.. Oxygen does not burn.. If there's a fire going on then it will burn more quickly, but that's not an explosion.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

7 hours ago, amazingme said:

Not really.. Oxygen does not burn.. If there's a fire going on then it will burn more quickly, but that's not an explosion.

Yep, oxygen doesn't burn, just everything else which burns do it with the presence of oxygen so it gets nasty pretty quickly 😅 .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice