potential new buyer - last minite fact check

treasure

hi guys, iam wanting to replace my thrustmaster warthog joystick base as its just too clunky, looking for something super smooth, have read some good reviews on virpil base.

Would like to do a last minite fact check from virpil users to confirm a few details first

what is your satisfaction rating as far as smoothness is concerned? i believe the tension adjustable - does that work well? do i have to use virpil software if i plant the warthog stick on it? - would prefer to just use the dcs software for assignments.

any problems i should be aware of?

TIA

You have to use the virpil software once to initialize the base and tell it what stick you use. After that you can set everything in dcs. I have a warbrd base - no adjustable tension as in the cm2 base and i love it. It is super-smooth and feels much better than the warthog base and it is clearly more sturdy and durable due to the metal gimbal as opposed to the plastic gimbal of the warthog base.

You have to use the virpil software once to initialize the base and tell it what stick you use. After that you can set everything in dcs. I have a warbrd base - no adjustable tension as in the cm2 base and i love it. It is super-smooth and feels much better than the warthog base and it is clearly more sturdy and durable due to the metal gimbal as opposed to the plastic gimbal of the warthog base.

thanks crash, thats the sort of thing i need to hear, when we first start dcs we try to make informed decisions so as not to waste money, but experience over time can usually have us heading in a different direction. had i had my time over again i think i would have got different hardware, anyhow, as long as i can keep wastage to a minimum .. thanks for your comments

I'm using the WarBRD base with TM Warthog grip, mounted in a simrig for like a year now and i'd say that this combo is not suited for desktop use. The baseplate of the WarBRD base is extremly light (made out of aluminum) and the weight of the Warthog grip demands heavy springs and this can make the base flip over when used with baseplate on a desk. It is also important to know, that the heavy Warthog grip does not center perfectly on the WarBRD base (about 1% off) with heavy springs, with soft springs even more. This can be solved by setting a deadzone, but that's kinda weird for a base that actually does not need any deadzones due to it's high precision. So i'd highly recommend ordering the separate extra heavy springs too and mount the base on some kind of deskmount or simpit. Otherwise you might be a bit dissapointed with one of the best joystick bases out there....

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I went from a Warthog to a WarBrd and have to say the difference is night and day. I kept the Warthog grip. The only thing I found was that the default springs felt too light for me, so I installed the stronger springs that shipped with the unit, I also went for the no centre cams (included). The software is pretty straightforward to setup once you get used to the UI and as others have mentioned you only need to do it once to "mate" the base with your selected grip and calibrate. There is no need to perform any mapping in the software, just do it all in DCS. I am also using the Monstertech chairmounts so I can't really coment re the weight of the unit on a desk. To summarise, it is light years ahead of the warthog base in terms of build quality, accuracy, precision and comfort. AAR is now a pretty enjoyable experience rather than a shoulder wrenching chore :thumbup:

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I'm using the WarBRD base with TM Warthog grip, mounted in a simrig for like a year now and i'd say that this combo is not suited for desktop use. The baseplate of the WarBRD base is extremly light (made out of aluminum) and the weight of the Warthog grip demands heavy springs and this can make the base flip over when used with baseplate on a desk. It is also important to know, that the heavy Warthog grip does not center perfectly on the WarBRD base (about 1% off) with heavy springs, with soft springs even more. This can be solved by setting a deadzone, but that's kinda weird for a base that actually does not need any deadzones due to it's high precision. So i'd highly recommend ordering the separate extra heavy springs too and mount the base on some kind of deskmount or simpit. Otherwise you might be a bit dissapointed with one of the best joystick bases out there....

That the combo is not suited for desktop use is a bit of an overstatement as i use it without a problem. It moves a bit when used heavely (like in a long high G dogfight) but otherwise it just stays where it is. Also, you are correct about the tilting forward of around 1% but 99% of us simpilots wouldn't even notice it you gave them the setup to try and don't tell them. I have the heavy springs (the one that came with the base) installed and also the no center cams. I do not set a deadzone, it's simply not needed.

If it really buggers you you can always swap the WarBRD plate out for the heavy Thrustmaster one, just need to drill 4 extra holes in it.

I went from a Warthog to a WarBrd and have to say the difference is night and day. I kept the Warthog grip. The only thing I found was that the default springs felt too light for me, so I installed the stronger springs that shipped with the unit, I also went for the no centre cams (included). The software is pretty straightforward to setup once you get used to the UI and as others have mentioned you only need to do it once to "mate" the base with your selected grip and calibrate. There is no need to perform any mapping in the software, just do it all in DCS.

It's night and day compared with the original Warthog gimbals (and on par with an Ubermodded Cougar if you happen to know how that feels).

If you're a Target user, you can keep all your profiles because you can rename the Virpil VID into those of the Thrustmaster ones making Target believe it still has Thrustmaster gear to deal with.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

That the combo is not suited for desktop use is a bit of an overstatement as i use it without a problem. It moves a bit when used heavely (like in a long high G dogfight) but otherwise it just stays where it is. Also, you are correct about the tilting forward of around 1% but 99% of us simpilots wouldn't even notice it you gave them the setup to try and don't tell them. I have the heavy springs (the one that came with the base) installed and also the no center cams. I do not set a deadzone, it's simply not needed.

If it really buggers you you can always swap the WarBRD plate out for the heavy Thrustmaster one, just need to drill 4 extra holes in it.

I tried that too when i recieved my WarBRD base and the base plate is not only moving a little bit in a intense dogfight, in fact when rolling left, the baseplate is liftet on the right side when switching from right to left roll very fast. Flip over was exaggerated, but my statement remains. This is not the way it should be. Or would you fire a machinegun on bipod with the buttstock wobbling and not beeing rock solid attached to the weapon? I guess not, because it's useless, dangerous and you won't hit anyhing with it. Similar with a joystick that is moving on the desk when beein heavily used, because that is not the way it's meant to be. The baseplate of the WarBRD base is designed with the light Virpil grips in mind and IMO is not suited for the Warthog grip. Not an overstatement, but more like my personal opinion. Should have mentioned that in my first comment though, but i still highly recommend ordering the extra heavy springs and mount that combo to some kind of deskmount or simpit.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2