Patch Nov 18th - F-14A release - Feedback Thread

IronMike

Any update on when we can expect fixes for the missiles and flight dynamics? 

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

18 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Any update on when we can expect fixes for the missiles and flight dynamics? 

Still no patch for flight model and missiles being junked.    Seems like that would be pretty important, right?

Edited by rwbishUP
  • Like 1

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

First time running the Alpha up.  Did a ramp start on the carrier, launched and did a quick flyby.  So far I am loving it.  Performance in VR was not bad either.  Thanks for doing such an outstanding job on the Tomcat gents.  I am sure the issue mentioned in this forum will eventually be worked out.  Till then, I am one satisfied customer.  Here is the quick video I did last night in VR.  It is still uploading to YouTube but the HD video will eventually show.

Edited by robert.clark251

7 hours ago, rwbishUP said:

Still no patch for flight model and missiles being junked.    Seems like that would be pretty important, right?

You'd think so, but our Cat has been effectively grounded for a fortnight now. 

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

14 hours ago, rwbishUP said:

AFAIK Heatblur cannot release patches on their own. I'm sure they've fixed it they're probably just waiting for ED to release the next update.

I'm aware of the PD-STT problem, but what flight model bugs are there? Is there anything 'officially recognized' as a bug? I'm curious. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Reflected said:

AFAIK Heatblur cannot release patches on their own. I'm sure they've fixed it they're probably just waiting for ED to release the next update.

I'm aware of the PD-STT problem, but what flight model bugs are there? Is there anything 'officially recognized' as a bug? I'm curious. Thanks!

Try breaking the speed barrier in straight and level flight and you'll see one of the obvious issues. Turn rate is also incorrect as of the last patch 

8 hours ago, Reflected said:

The turn rate is messed up at the moment.  A few degrees/sec short of where it should be.

That said, exactly as you suggested, Heatblur has already fixed this internally (they had it fixed the day after it was reported) and we are just waiting on the next ED patch for the fix to go in.

2 hours ago, robert.clark251 said:

Has anyone noticed the "Tomcat Ball" has been replaced with "Hornet Ball" since the update?  Seems like whenever I land on the Supercarrier now, it calls the wrong ball.  I need to try the Bravo again and see if it is only isolated to the Alpha.

Believe this is only on the -A.  I've spent a lot of time practicing carrier deck landings in the -B lately (still need a lot more practice, too), and have only heard "Tomcat ball"

Supercarrier thinks the F-14A is a Hornet.  They also give the hand signal to raise the launch bar.  That was the behavior on the F-14B before the first patch.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 12/6/2020 at 2:36 AM, Uxi said:

Supercarrier thinks the F-14A is a Hornet.  They also give the hand signal to raise the launch bar.  That was the behavior on the F-14B before the first patch.

I noticed the launch bar issue as well.  I will test the B tonight but I would assume it is probably just an Alpha issue right now.  About take her up for a night trap.

Here is a video I did this evening.  Night launch in the A and then circled back around for the recovery.  I was so pissed at myself.  Finally got a decent night recovery with the Tomcat  and forgot to call the ball.  Then I forgot to check the kneeboard.  Jester made up for it though with his comment. 

HB, please make my dream a reality and tell me you have the module to go with the song in this video starting at 10:55! We need Virgil AI next! Thank you so much for a phenomenal experience and making my flight sim dream a reality with the Tomcat.  Dreamed of this since I was a kid and Fleet Defender came out.  Landing the Tomcat at night in VR, red cockpit, stuttering HUD, it gets intense those last 15 seconds.  Everything is black/red, and then there is the carrier.  VR is the only way to fly.  LOVE IT! 

Edited by robert.clark251

23 hours ago, robert.clark251 said:

Here is a video I did this evening.  Night launch in the A and then circled back around for the recovery.  I was so pissed at myself.  Finally got a decent night recovery with the Tomcat  and forgot to call the ball.  Then I forgot to check the kneeboard.  Jester made up for it though with his comment. 

HB, please make my dream a reality and tell me you have the module to go with the song in this video starting at 10:55! We need Virgil AI next! Thank you so much for a phenomenal experience and making my flight sim dream a reality with the Tomcat.  Dreamed of this since I was a kid and Fleet Defender came out.  Landing the Tomcat at night in VR, red cockpit, stuttering HUD, it gets intense those last 15 seconds.  Everything is black/red, and then there is the carrier.  VR is the only way to fly.  LOVE IT! 

Question - your view point looks crooked - is there a way to center it in VR like there is with Track IR? 

6 minutes ago, wadman said:

Question - your view point looks crooked - is there a way to center it in VR like there is with Track IR? 

I have tried my best with OBS, but because I use a PIMAX and the wide field of view it has, I think this is almost as close as I can get.  Unless any other PIMAX user have mastered this.  Believe me, it annoys the shit out of me to, but every time I try to adjust it, it takes hours to get it back to what it is now.  I may start a separate profile and try to fine tune a little more, but I think it is the software.  

10 minutes ago, wadman said:

Most VR only record from one eye, so that's probably his left.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

4 hours ago, robert.clark251 said:

I have tried my best with OBS, but because I use a PIMAX and the wide field of view it has, I think this is almost as close as I can get.  Unless any other PIMAX user have mastered this.  Believe me, it annoys the shit out of me to, but every time I try to adjust it, it takes hours to get it back to what it is now.  I may start a separate profile and try to fine tune a little more, but I think it is the software.  

Thanks - so from yours and others' responses, it's just a recording from one eye thing and when actually playing you are seeing a centered view?  I Have not yet used VR so thanks for explaining the effect.  i just received my Reverb G2 so hoping to get it setup soon. 

23 minutes ago, wadman said:

Thanks - so from yours and others' responses, it's just a recording from one eye thing and when actually playing you are seeing a centered view?  I Have not yet used VR so thanks for explaining the effect.  i just received my Reverb G2 so hoping to get it setup soon. 

People usually have a pair of eyes and each one has a bit different view the closer the objects are but the brain connects the views into one picture in your mind depending on your focus. VR simulates this by providing different views for each eye.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I think with the last patch, staying on-speed in the groove became a lot more difficult. With the aircraft trimmed for on-speed in level flight, reducing power to descend will decrease the AOA. This caught me of guard, as generally a reduction of power will go in-hand with forward stick and applying power with back stick. This seems to be new behaviour since the latest patch, as before I think decreasing power would increase AOA, requiring forward stick to correct. Now it is the opposite way around.

F-14A_level.jpg

F-14A_descend.jpg

F-14B_level.jpg

F-14B_descend.jpg

I guess is related to the following adjustment.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, IronMike said:

[*]Adjusted pitch damping and pitch with power effects per SME comments.

Is a thrust axis below the center of drag the reason for this behaviour in the Tomcat?

Edited by MBot

10 hours ago, MBot said:

Is a thrust axis below the center of drag the reason for this behaviour in the Tomcat?

Probably.  In landing config the entire wing, including flaps, is above the centerline of the engines as well as over half the speed brake.

6c1c7309aee220f8819233194c14ebb6.jpg

17 hours ago, MBot said:

With the aircraft trimmed for on-speed in level flight, reducing power to descend will decrease the AOA. This caught me of guard, as generally a reduction of power will go in-hand with forward stick and applying power with back stick.

For any aircraft I used that require trimming it was always like that - with more power comes more airspeed and that needs trimming nose down. Assuming same pitch attitude that means decrease in AoA.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

For any aircraft I used that require trimming it was always like that - with more power comes more airspeed and that needs trimming nose down. Assuming same pitch attitude that means decrease in AoA.

Yes, generally if you want to keep altitude you would need forward stick with more power (accelerate). If you want to keep speed, you would need back stick with more power (climb). 

Now since the last patch with the Tomcat, to keep speed you need a little forward stick with more power. The cause is probably because the low sitting  engines push the nose up. This reversal of power-AOA interaction is something I need to get used to again in the groove.

In a real non FBW aircraft the plane is trimmed for speed. when teaching on the T-6 I used to show this to student pilots: perfectly trimmed level flight at power setting XX to maintain speed XX, then you reduce power by 10% without touching the stick, then the nose starts to drop to maintain speed and you get about 500 FPM descent. Bring power back and aircraft levels off. Part of the training is figuring out power settings and power changes equals how much FPM change. When flying a precision approach well trimmed, small power adjustments should keep you on glide slope. Many people have a tendency to push pull the stick but if you want to keep the speed you are trimmed for power will change the vertical. You do have to "help" it a bit with the stick at times. Pitch controls speed, power controls climb/descent. When students finally understand and accept this their approaches become a lot easier and more stable; but it takes a while to de-construct wrong concepts.

I find this generally does not work in DCS and other civilian sims. Most sims, with a perfectly trimmed aircraft, I bring power all the way to idle and the aircraft stays level but speed drops. Not true in real life.

For FBW, like the Hornet, you to push that nose where you want it to be and adjust power, a totally different way of flying that takes a while to get used to.

2 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

In a real non FBW aircraft the plane is trimmed for speed. when teaching on the T-6 I used to show this to student pilots: perfectly trimmed level flight at power setting XX to maintain speed XX, then you reduce power by 10% without touching the stick, then the nose starts to drop to maintain speed and you get about 500 FPM descent. Bring power back and aircraft levels off. Part of the training is figuring out power settings and power changes equals how much FPM change. When flying a precision approach well trimmed, small power adjustments should keep you on glide slope. Many people have a tendency to push pull the stick but if you want to keep the speed you are trimmed for power will change the vertical. You do have to "help" it a bit with the stick at times. Pitch controls speed, power controls climb/descent. When students finally understand and accept this their approaches become a lot easier and more stable; but it takes a while to de-construct wrong concepts.

I find this generally does not work in DCS and other civilian sims. Most sims, with a perfectly trimmed aircraft, I bring power all the way to idle and the aircraft stays level but speed drops. Not true in real life.

For FBW, like the Hornet, you to push that nose where you want it to be and adjust power, a totally different way of flying that takes a while to get used to.

this is very true and one of the hardest things for me to learn in real airplanes (along with "pitching for airspeed" in a climb) after flying simulated F-15s for so long but just for the sake of completeness might I add-

some FBW aircraft do not autotrim (Su-27)

some non-FBW do autotrim (F-15)

funny how that works isn't it? that being said draconus seems to be saying the F-14A is performing opposite to real aircraft. in reality power up = nose up but it seems power up = nose down in the sim. of course there could be other factors at play