Patch Nov 18th - F-14A release - Feedback Thread

IronMike

So the F-14 is thoroughly junk for the time being. It's like trying ACM at 50kts in a c-47 skytrain. Like loading down a '94 Ford Fiesta with the only girls that were down to have an orgy (350 on the front hoof), then road racing a zx9r. And, the lack of jesters radar acquisition skills are even worse. He couldn't lock up a windows 95 computer! And even without jester, the radar has a timed sequence it goes by, that makes it completely blind. It just drops every contact at once, for about a minute. wth happened

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

I have a question-based on my own experience while also seent it happen in YT videos by GS-in the Tomcat you can be well within range of the M61 with the reticle/sight dead center on the planform tennis court of a F14, fire off a 100 round burst and get zero hits. It's either that or the sight's not at all visible on the windscreen when I need it to be. Why is that senpai? Just because the video game gods or whatever entity controls my fate within computer/video games hate(s) me and enjoy(s) my pain and suffering?

If you have a radar lock on him and he increasingly pulls G's when you are about to shoot the rounds will land short, it's always good to lead and pull the trigger, making the rounds walk on target slightly when in a loded turn fight.

• Like 1

Yes. The F-14A is available only in the open beta until DCS gets updated to stable (release) version.

You can switch to beta any time as you can go back to stable either using cmd:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/guides-tutorials-aa/112781-guide-info-dcs-updater-usage-version-numbers-module-ids?t=114030

or use GUI updater:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...er-gui-utility

would like to say thanks for that.... today, i´ve found time for that. it wasn't so difficult

• Like 1

No, just let DCS do the work for you.

Go to your start menu and type "CMD", or, better even, go into your DCS folder, click on bin, so that it is highlighted, then hold left shift and left ctrl and right click on it -> select open powershell window here (or cmd window on older windows versions).

Then, when the command window is open type in "dcs_updater.exe udpate @openbeta" including spaces and without the "" of course.

Then hit enter.

DCS will then update to openbeta for you, and you dont need to do a thing.

thanks to you also... :-)

Then, when the command window is open type in "dcs_updater.exe udpate @openbeta" including spaces and without the "" of course.

Please correct as cmd errors are especially mean for novices.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 11/19/2020 at 4:45 PM, IronMike said:

OK; so i have to uninstall my current version and install the open beta, is that correct? sorry for my newbie-questions, but i´m 41 years old and grown up with falcon 3.0.... sorry.. never flew again since that time...

No, just let DCS do the work for you. Go to your start menu and type "CMD", or, better even, go into your DCS folder, click on bin, so that it is highlighted, then hold left shift and left ctrl and right click on it -> select open powershell window here (or cmd window on older windows versions). Then, when the command window is open type in "dcs_updater.exe udpate @openbeta" including spaces and without the "" of course. Then hit enter. DCS will then update to openbeta for you, and you dont need to do a thing.

So, I've tried to do this but all I've gotten is an error message in the window saying "the term dcs_updater.exe is not recognized" even though it's in the folder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

12 hours ago, agamemnon_b5 said:

So, I've tried to do this but all I've gotten is an error message in the window saying "the term dcs_updater.exe is not recognized" even though it's in the folder.

Are you sure you were in the bin folder? Check path in the cmd window.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I havent tested but now that its brought up, the last few flights every Aim 7 missed, and most shots were in PRIME conditions (rear aspect, closing or same speed, 5-10 miles)

I will say as far as fire extinguishers -  I havent seen them put out a fire yet. Of course, that doesnt mean they arent working, just an observation.

I totally disagree with the last post before this claiming the f14 is garbage now, i can still effectively fight in the A.  indeed im sorta glad to know theres  a slight bug because I thought my BFM had gotten really bad... (the israeli F15 over galilee, I can keep him from a kill but i can never shake the f***er

On 11/19/2020 at 1:40 AM, flybull said:

@IronMike Hey there. I posted in the bugs sub forum, but please allow me to provide some feedback here also.

Im a staunch advocate for HB and believe the F-14 to be the best simulation of any aircraft on PC in history (I've been around since the beginning of the hobby).

We all waited patiently for the "A" with lots of anticipated fixes as well. Lots of fixes didn't eventuate.

Some of these have been mentioned (ie Jester).

For me - its the damn airspeed bugs. They dont work as intended.

I feel the release is very under-cooked for HBs standards:

After teasing the ALR-45 RWR, we get a placeholder -135 with ALR-67.

There was one short teaser trailer - which teased liveries that we dont have access to.

The liveries we DO have have issues (reported whiteness, generic flight suits/helmets)

The initial release was far more impressive and complete

There is no CV-59, and no news of it.

Campaigns and other promised content?

Things that excited me before the initial release, like the promise of "Dynamic Cockpits" are merely "wish list" items at this point.

Please dont write me of as a "karen"...you asked for feedback here, and im giving you my considered, honest report.

IMHO, as a single player only type that is most imperative is a fixed and greatly expanded JESTER.

He should be giving speed/energy/hard deck info during ACM (as well as ACCURATE and timely threat indications)

He should be doing other things too - like READING the checklists, telling the pilot when wings are moving in the break etc..

All these things should be pretty straight forward, as someone mentioned here earlier - you pretty much need a human RIO now.

I had hoped today would be one of celebration and joy with the F-14A, the ONE. In stead I feel flat and underwhelmed.

I hope none of this sounds like im angry

Thank you for listening

Dave

TL:DR. Unhappy. Need:

1. expanded, competent JESTER who does everything mentioned above

2. please fix the airspeed indicator bug bug. With a cherry on top.

3. Forrestal

tomorrow.

id like to add

we really need a bvr>iff interrogate

in target heavy or radio call heavy enviroments Jester doesnt always say the friendly warning., if not make an option to either not be able to fire on friendlies or B have an option where jester repeats 'its a friendly!' over and over. but seriously, just a iff interrogate would work and be appropriate

correct engine gauges. I think if you guys had done that youd have gotten a lot more 'wow!' from people as itd change how the cockpit looks...

jester and lgbs.. nuff said. this is crippling in MP.

the forrestal and A6..

I really really wish that phoenix time to impact would flash when the phoenix is pitbull like IRL.

thats all off top of my head...

On 11/19/2020 at 3:22 PM, IronMike said:

We're investigating the fire suppression. Do you have the key mapped?

hello,

would having keys mapped matter?  i thought pulling either handle from pilots seat (the black and yellow ones to the left and right of the missile keys and arming switch) for the engine on fire (i.e. pull the left one for left) is  the same?

Are you saying the bind uses a *different* extinguisher, or the actually pull knobs dont work?  because I too have noticed in 3 - 5 fires, Ive never seen an extinguisher put em out.

OTOH I will say, we've buzzed around A LONG TIME on fire without blowing up..

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Are you sure you were in the bin folder? Check path in the cmd window.

EDIT: figured it out.  I had to add .\ in front to "trust" the command.

Now though, the program is saying it is up to date but still no F-14A.

Edited by agamemnon_b5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, agamemnon_b5 said:

EDIT: figured it out.  I had to add .\ in front to "trust" the command.

Now though, the program is saying it is up to date but still no F-14A.

In main menu right bottom corner check version.

http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com

Edited by draconus

On 12/1/2020 at 7:42 AM, sublime said:

hello,

would having keys mapped matter?  i thought pulling either handle from pilots seat (the black and yellow ones to the left and right of the missile keys and arming switch) for the engine on fire (i.e. pull the left one for left) is  the same?

Are you saying the bind uses a *different* extinguisher, or the actually pull knobs dont work?  because I too have noticed in 3 - 5 fires, Ive never seen an extinguisher put em out.

OTOH I will say, we've buzzed around A LONG TIME on fire without blowing up..

To use extinguisher you do two actions.  Pull the handle, then press the button behind the handle pulled.  Since you can’t see, nor click the button behind the handle, you can set a key bind for each button.  After describing this, it’s still moot because it still doesn’t work.

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

1 hour ago, Eagle7907 said:

To use extinguisher you do two actions.  Pull the handle, then press the button behind the handle pulled.  Since you can’t see, nor click the button behind the handle, you can set a key bind for each button.  After describing this, it’s still moot because it still doesn’t work.

shoot it doesnt work?

yes i realized what I thought it was is FUEL CUT OFF. You need to bind the extinguisher. I had thought thats why the fires from the tail werent going out. now im concerned. does HB know they dont work? Do you have a track? we need a track if we are gonna fix this.

Also you wanna fly? either seat, but ill happily be rio. any time man. 

also im no veteran and def not an ex F14 jock. So maybe someone can chime in like @Spiceman or @sLYFa but I have tracks where we have a huge flame coming out of one engine, and we fly for several minutes.. Wouldnt there be an explosion IRL within a few minutes tops?

shoot it doesnt work?
yes i realized what I thought it was is FUEL CUT OFF. You need to bind the extinguisher. I had thought thats why the fires from the tail werent going out. now im concerned. does HB know they dont work? Do you have a track? we need a track if we are gonna fix this.
Also you wanna fly? either seat, but ill happily be rio. any time man. 
also im no veteran and def not an ex F14 jock. So maybe someone can chime in like @Spiceman or @sLYFa but I have tracks where we have a huge flame coming out of one engine, and we fly for several minutes.. Wouldnt there be an explosion IRL within a few minutes tops?

Yeah, they know it’s broke. I think they knew shortly after the release.

I don’t really fly online right now. I tried it a few months ago and it didn’t really go well. Problem is connectivity. My PC is connected through WiFi. So I get horrible lag. As soon as I’m back to work, I think I’m going to get a switch and install some Ethernet ports because even in more simplified games that use VOIP, my transmissions are horrible and broken.

But when I do get this addressed, I’d love to. I really want the chance to learn RIO so I can easily switch back and forth for online play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

5 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

Since you can’t see, nor click the button behind the handle, you can set a key bind for each button.

You can both see and click but it requires 1. gymnastics and 2. precission.

Edited by draconus

The tomcat has two containers with fire extinguishing agent. Pressing either of the buttons behind the fire handles will discharge both containers into the respective engine nacelle. The ENG FIRE EXT and AUX FIRE EXT lights in the lower left corner of the caution panel will illuminate indicating discharge of both containers. The handles themselves will shut off fuel supply to the respective engine. That said, agent discharge apparently is not modelled yet as neither the lights come on nor any fire supression is noticable. 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

25 minutes ago, draconus said:

You can both see and click but it requires 1. gymnastics and 2. precission.

IDK, maybe it would be nice that the pull does both, or we have an option for that in VR. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

4 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

Yeah, they know it’s broke. I think they knew shortly after the release.

I don’t really fly online right now. I tried it a few months ago and it didn’t really go well. Problem is connectivity. My PC is connected through WiFi. So I get horrible lag. As soon as I’m back to work, I think I’m going to get a switch and install some Ethernet ports because even in more simplified games that use VOIP, my transmissions are horrible and broken.

But when I do get this addressed, I’d love to. I really want the chance to learn RIO so I can easily switch back and forth for online play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

when you do if im around, I can teach you rio, the guides are good but each has tiny errors that will having u banging ur head on the wall, things that wouldnt have say happened to me if id been able to just ask someone

for example entering waypoints

EVERY INSTRUCTION has you pressing, I forget if its clear or the NE button 1 too many times. Once I eventually realized this by accident voila everything worked.

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

The tomcat has two containers with fire extinguishing agent. Pressing either of the buttons behind the fire handles will discharge both containers into the respective engine nacelle. The ENG FIRE EXT and AUX FIRE EXT lights in the lower left corner of the caution panel will illuminate indicating discharge of both containers. The handles themselves will shut off fuel supply to the respective engine. That said, agent discharge apparently is not modelled yet as neither the lights come on nor any fire supression is noticable. 

I tried this afternoon, using a bound key and fuel shutoff, the fire never stopped

considering youre the real deal - how long IRL could a F14 stream flame like that from an engine without a catastrophic explosion? In my case, I literally flew around for about 15 minutes on fire.

Edited by sublime

3 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

IDK, maybe it would be nice that the pull does both, or we have an option for that in VR. 

We have binding.

You're giving me too much credit man. I'm really no expert on neither the Tomcat nor its engines but an uncontained and persisting engine fire in any airplane will eat it up rather quickly, especially if the fire gets behind the fuel shutoff valves and ignites the fuel lines. The official procedure for a fire persisting after using the fire extinguishing system on the Tomcat is to eject if that is any indicator.

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

20 hours ago, draconus said:

We have binding.

I use point control and try to use the actual controls as much as possible. So, while "binding" is a great fix for pancake guys, its a crappy solution for VR.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).