Steerpoint / Target Designator box creep?

Bog9y

Hi,

I just finished a little session on the NTTR bombing range with the 476th range objects. I practiced pop up attacks and encountered a very frustrating problem that I was unable to fix. I have encountered this before btw.

So, here's what happens. I fly out to the range, 6 x BDU33s to practice pop up attacks. My steerpoint coordinates match the target coordinates and when i approach the target I can see the box pretty close to the target. However, after about 4 passes I noticed that the steerpoint/TD had crept away to a different location.

- the steerpoint coordinates were still displaying the correct location on the DED but the steerpoint/TD box was not on the target

- I had BDUs, no mavericks, LGBs or any other munition or targeting pod.

- The SOI was never turned to the HUD as far as I can tell. I cycled between CCRP/CCIP/DTOSS/STRAFE with the MSL STEP button.

- I tried entering different coordinates and back to the original target one but no matter what i did it would not set the STP/TD to the correct location

Is this associated with the STP bug I've read about? And has anybody else had this same problem?

That's interesting, I had exactly the same problem this morning, and I was also using 476th range targets (specifically a mission by Sidekick65 - "Iron Bombing Range" https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312663/ which I editied to add the Viper). Couldn't understand how I was missing so badly with GBU12s with CCRP until I noticed the TGP SPI was creeping. Haven't had the problem in any other mission with GBU12s or indeed Mavericks.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

So I know back in the 90s during Desert Storm Viper Pilots had to periodically correct for INS drift using known land marks :

“A good INS is a bomber pilot’s best friend and is often the determining factor in successful target acquisition. But a typical INS has a drift (error) rate of approximately fifty feet per minute. To overcome this drift, pilots try to pick coordinates that coincide with identifiable landmarks, such as road intersections, mountain peaks, dams, and bridges. Once an F-16 pilot takes off and begins his low-level, he uses his map to crosscheck the different steerpoints programmed into his INS. If everything is correct, a diamond appears in the head-up display directly over the landmark. If the INS has drifted, however, the pilot can update it by performing a fix or by slewing the diamond back over the landmark with the cursor/enable switch on his throttle. This exercise is repeated at each steerpoint until the pilot reaches the target. GPS eliminates the need for this corrective work. The signals transmitted by orbiting satellites update an aircraft’s INS every two seconds, ensuring that the diamond in the head-up display will be directly over each steerpoint and, most important, over the target.”

Excerpt From: Keith Rosenkranz. “Vipers in the Storm: Diary of a Gulf War Fighter Pilot.” Apple Books. https://books.apple.com/us/book/vipers-in-the-storm-diary-of-a-gulf-war-fighter-pilot/id530050272

We have GPS so it should be correcting automatically, so this is probably due to the STP Bug.

That's interesting, I had exactly the same problem this morning, and I was also using 476th range targets (specifically a mission by Sidekick65 - "Iron Bombing Range" https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312663/ which I editied to add the Viper). Couldn't understand how I was missing so badly with GBU12s with CCRP until I noticed the TGP SPI was creeping. Haven't had the problem in any other mission with GBU12s or indeed Mavericks.

Interesting Shaun, glad it's not just me. I'll try to repeat another pop up attack sortie with a different bombing range scoring mission.

Just flew the Goldwater range bombing practice mission and did the same pop up attacks. The TD box stayed where it was supposed to so I can only assume the previous bug has something to do with the NTTR mission. Maybe too many static objects are causing the bug?

Jeroen, I think I read something about the problem you have. Have a look at the bugs section at the top of the F-16 forum. I think ED are working on fixing it.

Just flew the Goldwater range bombing practice mission and did the same pop up attacks. The TD box stayed where it was supposed to so I can only assume the previous bug has something to do with the NTTR mission. Maybe too many static objects are causing the bug?

Jeroen, I think I read something about the problem you have. Have a look at the bugs section at the top of the F-16 forum. I think ED are working on fixing it.

Thanks Bbow for your comment

I was certaining in a static object rich environment in NTTR..

Capture.thumb.PNG.b9c13dbd6f10940bf3e07d16c967b66f.PNG

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

Ok, I think I have figured out what the problem is. It's not a bug (per se). So when I swtich to A-G master mode, it defaults to CCRP mode and the SOI defaults to the HUD. During my pop up attacks I must have moved the TD box by accidentally touching the slew button! Because we have no GM mode on the FCR you can not change the SOI by pressing DMS down. So, it's not a bug but not being able to change SOI with dumb bombs certainly doesn't help.

Did you go through the INS alignment process correctly (eg confirm lat/long when manually starting up from cold and dark)? Did you maybe rearm or refuel while the INS alignment was running?

Moving the plane, which includes hanging/removing stores, while alignment runs isn't good.

Bad alignment = more drift over time or fubar nav in general.

Good thinking but no, it's definitely not that. Aligned correctly, no rearming or fuelling.

WOW! Did you make that or is it available online?

It's brilliant isn't it ! Great for practice. No, I can't take credit. Thanks go to Sidekick65. His mission link is below.

Worth noting that you need the A-10C, the AV8B and the A-4E to run the mission (and the 476th range targets). I have those so I was able to edit the mission and add the F-16C. If you don't I'd be happy to edit you a version with just the F-16C (assuming Sidekick65 is cool with that) ;)

Iron Bombing Range