Ability to drop JDAM's using LAT\LONG or MGRS

I am slowly getting up to speed on my Hog and its abilities. In Hornet at altitude, I can drop a JDAM from 15+ miles with great accuracy. In the Hog I can use the Tpod and mark points to get great accuracy, but at danger close range for some SAM's. I have read that JTAC missions use MGRS for CAS. Is it possible using the F10 map to find a SAM site, copy those coords down and load them into my JDAM? If so, how do I accomplish this? Is it the same procedure in Chuck's guides for JTAC and the CDC? I am hoping to have some standoff range in my Hog to address the SAM/AAA threats before I tank care (poor attempt at humor there) of the other helpless targets, LOL. Thank you all.

The below only works for the A10C-II

Not sure if you can input co-ords directly to the JDAM but you can use a steerpoint / markpoint as the target location for the JDAM.

Use the JTAC co-ords to create a steerpoint as per Chucks guide.

Select the JDAM in the DSMS

Select Prof OSB

Select CHG SET OSB

Just put in the steerpoint unique identifier (eg. MSN1) on the scratchpad and click the SPI OSB

Save changes

JDAM is set to launch on that steerpoint.

You do this for each JDAM individually - or use the TGP to designate a SPI if you prefer.

When you select the JDAM with pre-set co-ords slew the TGP to SPI and give it a visual to make sure of your target first.

This also works for CBU 103 and 105.

• Like 1

There are numerous ways to drop a JDAM on a target in the A10C (new one):

You can enter coordinates and drop on a STPT SPI

You can drop on a TGP SPI

You can drop on a TDC SPI

You can drop on a mark point SPI

You can drop on a HMCS SPI

EDIT: You can drop on a TAD SPI

I typically use the mark point method, as I make enough mark points in a typical sortie to get all the way through the alphabet - but that is obviously a personal preference and there are many ways to achieve a good weapon employment. Not often that a JTAC is present for me - but when there is one, I will create an entry in the CDU to satisfy the specific target request.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

To be honest, you will not get great standoff distance in the A10 with JDAM's.

The flight speed is too slow to launch them far enough to be useful for this.

If possible have a flight do SEAD for you. Then you can concentrate on the A10 strengths of CAS.

If you still want to go toe to toe with a SAM site you could try force correlating MAV H's and launching from around 10NM.

If it is too close to get range without the SAM targeting you (or shooting down your MAV's) then I would use terrain

to hide your approach and pop up to launch. It is fun and exciting to get in close.

Good luck.

Thank you Scuba and Ziptie! I hope to get some standoff distance on SAM sites by trying these methods. The farther away I am from them the better! I was spoiled with HARM's and being able to launch JDAM's way out with the Hornet.

As the two others above have stated, the standoff employment of JDAMs in the A10C really won't happen as the aircraft can't achieve the same speed at altitude compared to the Hornet. They still are fun to employ on other targets, including SAM and SA threats that you are safe from by staying above 16,000-18,000 feet.

While the A10C isn't really intended to execute a SEAD role - once you get comfortable in the aircraft it is incredibly fun to take on SAMs, and effective. It can certainly be stressful at first, but it is very rewarding when you can do it. It's incredibly fun being on the deck, dropping below tree top level while having SAMs firing at you. If you are unable to visually acquire the threat, and get the maverick off the rail quickly, the key is to get a mark point set on the SAM via TGP - you want to extend / setup so you can get on your final attack heading and rifle efficiently. Make sure to have the jammer set to the correct mode (SAM1 / SAM2) and be ready to cycle the profile.

Nothing better than it, in my opinion!

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 1 month later...

RE taking on SAMs in the hog, I think it's pretty fun to use the RWR method to find a SAM whose exact position you don't know. You can fly on two bearings ~90° apart, and create overhead markpoints when the threat crosses your 3/9 line. Then use the OFFSET function to create a markpoint 90° offset from each of your overhead points. Then you create a flightplan to connect up the 4 points to make an 'X' and the SAM will be where the lines cross. If that explanation isn't clear there's a pretty good video somebody did a few years back that goes over it in detail. It's a pretty fun challenge, and gives you an idea of the kind of stuff you can do with the avionics in the hog if you have a think about how to use them.

Here's the video