HP Reverb G2 - What are your thoughts?

hansangb

Rift CV1 user; I bought the G2 and have issues running the G2 on DCS; for some reason all the VR compositors open and steam VR conflicts with Oculus VR app causing issues. My FPS is at a dismal 15 to 32 fps; unplayable. The mouse doesn’t work when I put the head set on it’s hit or miss, I have to altab the screens in-order to get it to focus into the headset.

IL2 runs flawlessly no issues except the mouse every once in a few launches won’t work when put the headset on.

love it in IL2!! Very sharp looks 1080p quality, still some fuzziness but very easy to over look.

sound is good, very deep base too. Head set is very comfortable.

You can use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the Oculus service from running.

I typically do that when I am going to be using the G2 to be safe.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Rift CV1 user; I bought the G2 and have issues running the G2 on DCS; for some reason all the VR compositors open and steam VR conflicts with Oculus VR app causing issues. My FPS is at a dismal 15 to 32 fps; unplayable. The mouse doesn’t work when I put the head set on it’s hit or miss, I have to altab the screens in-order to get it to focus into the headset.

IL2 runs flawlessly no issues except the mouse every once in a few launches won’t work when put the headset on.

love it in IL2!! Very sharp looks 1080p quality, still some fuzziness but very easy to over look.

sound is good, very deep base too. Head set is very comfortable.

Another way you can keep Oculus Home from automatically running is to set Oculus Home to "Run as administrator" in its properties tab.

As far as the fuzziness goes, I have managed to significantly improve that by playing around with the "Cross-eyes tool" that comes up in DCS with a new WMR headset. Still not sure what the various settings in it pertain to (would be nice if ED had documentation we could look at that explains what we're adjusting), so I'm still messing with it. Once you get it set right, things are even clearer, and you don't get that weird feeling of your eyes struggling with image convergence. I guess the lenses are so much better in the G2 than the G1 that the cross-eyes tool never seemed to do much with the G1 except throw the world scale off.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

That definitely sounds like a DCS issue, not a Reverb issue. I'd suggest trying the Reverb with a bunch of other programs before you get too concerned. I'm betting they'll all run perfectly.

Yup. Haven't experienced his issue myself since I don't fly in multiplayer, but there have been several threads posted about this very issue. IIRC, ED has acknowledged the issue and are working on a fix.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Another way you can keep Oculus Home from automatically running is to set Oculus Home to "Run as administrator" in its properties tab.

That will prevent Oculus Home from launching however be aware the Oculus service is still running - it starts with each boot of the PC into windows.

I just use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service for that session.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That will prevent Oculus Home from launching however be aware the Oculus service is still running - it starts with each boot of the PC into windows.

I just use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service for that session.

I'll have to look into that. Do you know what it would be called in task manager? Maybe I can get even better performance by disabling that if its running.

I'll have to look into that. Do you know what it would be called in task manager? Maybe I can get even better performance by disabling that if its running.

There are three tasks that will show up in Task Manager for your Oculus device.

They each start with OVR. You should be able to end task in there.

Don B

You can stop the Oculus service from starting on boot by setting it to manual start through Windows Services. If will then only run if the Oculus software is started.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You can stop the Oculus service from starting on boot by setting it to manual start through Windows Services. If will then only run if the Oculus software is started.

Nice!

Will save me having to open the OTT and set it off each boot.

Thanks,

Don B

It will just take a bit longer for the Oculus software to load because it has to start the service first if it isn't running.

You can do the same with the OTT, it has an option under Service & Startup to start the Oculus service if it isn't running. Same for exiting, you can choose to stop the service if you want.

If you run the OTT with the service still OFF and the option to turn it on, it will run the service on startup. If you then run the Oculus software after that, no extra wait on the service start because the OTT already did that.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Yeah I will just leave mine set to manual off now, as not sure how much I might use Rift S anymore since I got the G2 now.

Thanks again for the tip.

Don B

Back to the G2 impressions...... after "flying" with it for several days now, the couple biggest things I notice that are improvements over the G1 are:

• Tracking. The G2 seems much less sensitive to lighting than the G1. I have had no issues tracking head movements even during rapid BFM when I'm looking behind me. The G1 would often lose tracking in those situations unless the lighting was perfect.
  • The sweet spot is definitely better, but it's still not huge.
  • The fit and feel seem better overall and more comfortable to wear. The biggest problem I had with the G1 was I couldn't get enough eye relief (HMD too close to my eyes). The G2 just feels more solid and more comfortable.
  • The audio headphones are night and day better than the G1, but I still prefer to use ear buds for better immersion. I really miss the headphone jack in the headset. I have the tower a ways away from the flight chair, so no sure a headphone will reach now.
  • The thinner cord is easier to manage and doesn't seem to get in the way as much.

What I don't see are significant improvements in clarity. Yes there is a bit more clear and the colors are bit richer but it doesn't jump out at me. The G1 was and is a really good headset. I like the improvements of the G2 and it was worth getting. No regrets, but it wasn't a quantum generational leap. More like a G1.5 than a G2.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Speaking of which, I have a 7 month old Reverb G1 LNIB if anyone is interested. :)

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Back to the G2 impressions...... after "flying" with it for several days now, the couple biggest things I notice that are improvements over the G1 are:

• Tracking. The G2 seems much less sensitive to lighting than the G1. I have had no issues tracking head movements even during rapid BFM when I'm looking behind me. The G1 would often lose tracking in those situations unless the lighting was perfect.
  • The fit and feel seem better overall and more comfortable to wear. The biggest problem I had with the G1 was I couldn't get enough eye relief (HMD too close to my eyes). The G2 just feels more solid and more comfortable.
  • The audio headphones are night and day better than the G1, but I still prefer to use ear buds for better immersion. I really miss the headphone jack in the headset. I have the tower a ways away from the flight chair, so no sure a headphone will reach now.
  • The thinner cord is easier to manage and doesn't seem to get in the way as much.

What I don't see are significant improvements in clarity. Yes there is a bit more clear and the colors are bit richer but it doesn't jump out at me. The G1 was and is a really good headset. I like the improvements of the G2 and it was worth getting. No regrets, but it wasn't a quantum generational leap. More like a G1.5 than a G2.

Coming from an Oculus Rift CV1 it will do just nicely...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Coming from an Oculus Rift CV1 it will do just nicely...

Same here... If they ever decide to deliver the preorders in Europe

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Well they already started, from December 1rst apparently, a least from my provider in the UK. I preordered without controllers.

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Yep, in the UK from Friday according to Systemactive, and with customers on Tuesday 1 December. Still, I'll believe it when I see it dropping at my door!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, in the UK from Friday according to Systemactive, and with customers on Tuesday 1 December. Still, I'll believe it when I see it dropping at my door!

Same here, but since I only can upgrade step by step every month, I learned to be patient, in any case I don't mind upgrading my GPU before getting the G2, I'm waiting on MSI to release their RX 6800 XT if the price is right, otherwise I'll go for the RX 6800...

You can get earbuds with extended cable, that is what I am using.

Don B

I hope we'll see G2 this year, Bestware:

With the production running at full speed, HP is still confident to fulfill all pre-orders placed until early to mid November within this year.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Unfortunately I ordered from Amazon.es, absolutely no message from them regarding availability. :mad:

I taught about it but opted not to go with them, I had trouble lately with Amazon, I ordered a case and ended up with 3 of them, all of which were charged, so at the end of the day, my account was badly overdrawn for as long as the courier company hadn't received those cases back and agreed for the refund.

Seriously, I'll hesitate to spend this sort of money with them in the future.

I hope we'll see G2 this year, Bestware:

With the production running at full speed, HP is still confident to fulfill all pre-orders placed until early to mid November within this year.

My provider has some available from orders taken now scheduled for delivery before end of year...

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

Unfortunately I ordered from Amazon.es, absolutely no message from them regarding availability. :mad:

Same here... Based on Systemactive information, and assuming it is applicable to all european suppliers (Amazon Spain included), I don't expect to receive my G2 before 10th of December (ordered 8th of August.)

Gosh!!

• Like 1

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

I have G2 on order. I use G1. The CV1 Oculus is not even close to image quality compared to the G1. I don't have great expectations for the G2 now, but I decided to keep the preorder. Hopefully it will be more comfortable and even slightly clearer...was hoping for more FOV, but whatever. :joystick:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Wow - this surprised me. My understanding was that the 'sweet spot' was the real big game changer. Add to that the video's on youtube raving about it - are they premature? Were they people that had the SS up higher on the G2 than the G1 accidentally?

I've got to admit, the G1 at 400% SS is more than good enough for me for clarity (if only I could get that clarity without torturing my GPU and having FPS drop to 3 or less ;) ). I was kina hoping that the lens change would bring significant clarity in itself. I guess not?

Wow - this surprised me. My understanding was that the 'sweet spot' was the real big game changer. Add to that the video's on youtube raving about it - are they premature? Were they people that had the SS up higher on the G2 than the G1 accidentally?

I've got to admit, the G1 at 400% SS is more than good enough for me for clarity (if only I could get that clarity without torturing my GPU and having FPS drop to 3 or less ;) ). I was kina hoping that the lens change would bring significant clarity in itself. I guess not?

Don't get me wrong..... the G2 is better in all respects. It is clearer and the sweet spot is bigger. It's more comfortable to wear. It's just not the quantum leap that a lot of people were hoping for. Having said that, I have zero regrets getting the G2. It was worth the $$. Just don't get your expectations out of line with reality and you'll love it.

• Like 1