Frame Rate Problem on Good PC

AlexBeck18

Hey all,

I've had this problem now for a couple months ad i've tried to fix it on my own but i'm out of ideas at this point. When i'm on the ground, my frames are pinned at ~30 FPS. When I get airborne they seem to always drop to ~12, what's worse is that they get progressively worse when certain things happen; for example, when I get close to the tanker or my wingman etc my frames get worse the closer I get all the way to 1 FPS until I get far away from it then they go back to ~12FPS.

This is happening on the Syria map in multiplayer with my friends, but with my system I feel this shouldn't be an issue. An related thing could be my mouse and keyboard, they're wireless and sometimes they have little fits where they stop working for half a second or stutter a bit, maybe that could be related? Attached are the in-sim frames while on the ground VS in the air. Ive tried a complete re-install, repair and all. I am running DCS on 60Mps Ethernet.

Any ideas are really appreciated.

My specs:

Viper II 32GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz

500GB Samsung SSD (DCS is on this alone)

805fde35ff4b1e48c6790679721e0a99.png.b2b529de9d46efe30976019e1f6da5bd.png

29328362f4724d4f81bc57b0f1a14d73.png.6f3e61ebdd4a109a7cd404f2f740fd5a.png

Your bottleneck is your VRAM. Recommended spec for DCS heavy mission at high setting is 8GB VRAM.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

And for Syria in multiplayer, you definitely need to meet the recommended spec at bare minimum.

W10 gives you a small 4 GB pagefile. I guess it's system managed. Edit the pagefile settings:

1. Uncheck "Automatically manage pagin file size for all drives".
  2. Select your fastest drive (SSD, NVMe or M2 disk) and create a custom size pagefile of 32768 MB min / 32768 MB max.
  3. Check how DCS is doing after this.

If this doesn't change performance, keep DCS open, launch the Windows Resource Manager, maximize it, select DCS.exe, sort the figures by 'Total', take a screenshot and attach it here.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

manually setting page file size to anything other than auto is snake oil imho. it's just soemthing that sticks around these forums because someone, sometime on some specific version reported an improvment to his very specific performance problem and other wanted to believe they also noticed soemthing, which they probably did not.

When i was on 8gb main memory, i saw some paging going on, but fps were not affected. now on 16gb i see no significant paging at all.

also i think you should not just tell people to change system relevant configurations, if you don't know how good they are with computers.

they may forget what they changed and may run in other problems at a later time...

also i think you should not just tell people to change system relevant configurations, if you don't know how good they are with computers.

they may forget what they changed and may run in other problems at a later time...

I assume people in this forum are grownups. I don't force anybody.

The biggest problem you can get with pagefile is to remove it completely. DCS doesn't like this at all, but Windows seems to live without a pagefile (I won't recommend this of course).

to remove it completely

Undoubtedly true per se, yet my personal experience differs. Am running a config modded DCS with 16GB RAM and no pagefile whatsoever, and given my style of play and the missions I make, no problems whatsoever. All stutterfree, no crashes, and this on an ancient i7-2600K computer too...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Wow. Maybe the new hardware is more capricious (in my opinion, it is). :)

Anyway, we all have different hardware with different software on top of it. It's hard to know for sure which remedy will work or not. Sometimes, it looks like a game of Popup-up Pirate!

For all closer at least, I am fluent in technology. So that's not a concern! I ran a single player mission and all ran really smooth no stutters. Attached is a picture of the performance. I also tried to overstress it, and given whenever I mess with the page I used to get a blue screen before I upgraded to 32GB. I got a good decrease in load times this time and I tried my hardest to stress it and blue screen it with it not happening. So that's good so far. That being said, I have a multiplayer flight in a couple days and well see what happens there!

882936601_gamerunning.thumb.jpg.4f560d7937444bf7be14a9ded441cde7.jpg

Hey Flappie,

So unfortunately no luck on it being fixed. I started the flight and 4 minutes after takeoff it went down to 5FPS or 6FPS and slowly got worse until I just had to leave at 1FPS. Attached is an in game picture and my performance tab while it was happening. Nothing indicated that it's being strained, but maybe it could be my internet?

I'm using a TP-Link AV600 Nano Powerline Adapter to get the ethernet to my room. Do you think this would be the issue even though my download speed is around 60Mps? I'm completely baffled at this point. This particular problem even happens on other maps like Nevada, but when I get close to others. Processor related maybe?

Also don't be alarmed that it says both my hard drives are HDD. My main (C: ) is HDD but my DCS is on its own SSD

Thanks,

Alex

f244a3e1ed88f52792e9d1036a77e06d.png.6e472fcf752911a5ccf74d0bfb060ddc.png

149ce0f9bcff778f39cef28d7b044f6b.thumb.jpg.31d033e14afc910a697d093d178fdfa5.jpg

e6bf23b9a97e31f99b106da1abaa7e76.jpg.9840a0b7770a8956564c9026d03cd00f.jpg

My main (C: ) is HDD but my DCS is on its own SSD

This could cause stutters (sytem Temp folder is used by DCS). We'll first monitor your resources and see if Temp folder is to blame.

You say you have ver very low FPS in multiplayer. But how is your PC doing in single player ?

1/ You talked about your keyboard and mouse acting strangely. Please disable hotplug devices in DCS.

2/ It it doesn't fix your issue, try what follows:

Small changes:

Ensure GPU Scheduling is OFF in Windows 10.

Go to "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta", and empty both "fxo" and "metashaders2" folders.

Empty "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache" folder.

Open your antivirus settings and add exceptions for these two folders: "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\" and "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta".

Changes in your graphics and power configuration:

Ensure V-Sync is disabled is the game graphics options (if you want V-Sync, change your graphics driver settings, see below).

Go in the NVIDIA graphics settings:

• Activate "Fast sync" (only if you want V-Sync).
  • Ensure Frame rate limiter is disabled.
  • Power Management Mode = Maximum performance
  • MFAA off
  • FXAA off
  • AA transparency off
  • AA gamma correction off

In Windows power management setings, select "High Performance".

3/ Still have very low FPS? Launch the Windows Resource Monitor, launch DCS, connect to a multiplayer server and enter your cockpit. Alt+Tab to get back to the Resource Monitor and maximize it. Click on the "Disk" tab. In the process list, check the "DCS.exe" box. Underneath, you will see all files accessed by the game. Sort this list by clicking on "Total". Take 3 or 4 screenshots and attach them here please.

4/ Are you using a special profile for DCS with a gaming software? (for instance, MSI One Dragon)

Edited by Flappie

Once I put in 32 gigs of memory I disabled pagefiling, never saw memory usage exceed much above 20 gigs. Don't have issues with stuttering, find the dcs experience very smooth running at a constant 45 fps on a 2TB ssd with a 3 year old system including a 1080 graphic card.

Most of the reading on the subject has indicated page swapping is out dated but was once needed back in the days of limited memory capacity. Today's SSD and 32 gig mem make the difference for me.

And yet, it has helped several DCS users equiped with 32GB of RAM.

We all have different PCs with different software configurations... otherwise we would call them consoles.

Yes I agree, but when I read about individuals with new top of the line systems [2080/3080 cards, 32gig+ram, 9900K processors] having stutter/freeze issues I can't help but wonder why when I don't have that with what system I previously mentioned...possible they have all options maxed out?

I've helped a number of users fixing their issues, and most of them had better rigs than mine. Issues can be caused by paranoid antiviruses, GPU accelerator software, FPS limiting scripts, pagefiles stored on HDDs, overclocked PCs, broken "Saved Games\DCS" folders, Windows GPU scheduling feature, broken NVIDIA shader cache, mods incompatible with the most recent build... and even sometimes a combination of all this.

I generally advise to pump up the pagefile size wen I see memory errors in the logs. But some other times, it's when I'm out of ideas. And it sometimes works. And it costs nothing.

I've helped a number of users fixing their issues, and most of them had better rigs than mine. Issues can be caused by paranoid antiviruses, GPU accelerator software, FPS limiting scripts, pagefiles stored on HDDs, overclocked PCs, broken "Saved Games\DCS" folders, Windows GPU scheduling feature, broken NVIDIA shader cache, mods incompatible with the most recent build... and even sometimes a combination of all this.

I generally advise to pump up the pagefile size wen I see memory errors in the logs. But some other times, it's when I'm out of ideas. And it sometimes works. And it costs nothing.

Interesting after a recent update I began to experience an issue that I traced back to GPU accelerator, turned it off and the issue disappeared.