Should you be able to boresight a maverick on anything?

uri

Right now for IR mavericks, you can only boresight against real targets but should you be able to boresight against buildings or just distinct landmarks?

And specifically for TV mavericks, should you be able to boresight in area mode?

Right now for IR mavericks, you can only boresight against real targets but should you be able to boresight against buildings or just distinct landmarks?

I would think so, yes.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

A building is a real target.

But would an IR maverick be able to lock onto it? I'm just finding it really hard to boresight right now because it seems like you need to be 5-7nm from a target that will be shooting back at you.

Yeah boresight is essentially just calibrating the Maverick's seeker to the same line-of-sight as the TGP (AFAIK), an IR Maverick can lock anything so long as there's enough IR contrast (though that's not how it works in DCS, where it simply uses an objects ID to determine whether it gets a lock or not).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I can boresight IR Maverick on whatever point, doesn’t need to be valid target. You dont get a full Lock, but the boresight button appears anyway.

I haven't been able to do this, I've tried on a specific window in a building for example but can't get the boresight option to appear.