AVX instructions used by DCS updater?

Yeti42

Hi all,

I encountered an issue recently with running DCS updater to download the latest beta patch. I had just upgraded to an i9 9900 KF processor and had overclocked to 5.1 Ghz, AVX ratio offset was set to 0. The updater crashed after a few seconds, enabling an offset of 3 cured the problem but my CPU was then limited to 4.8 Ghz even when not running the updater indicating another AVX load was running somewhere. QUESTION: Does the DCS updater use AVX?

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

DCS is not always stable on overclocked PCs. Maybe 5.1 GHz was too much for it.

If you want to be sure about whether or not DCS uses AVX, try setting AVX back to 0 and overclock to 4.8 GHz.

Setting AVX to zero and clocking at 4.8 Ghz will not tell me much.... It's the same really as overclocking to 5.1 with an AVX offset of 3. The workload/temp on the CPU is increased when AVX extensions are used which can introduce stability issues, core DCS does not appear to use AVX as 5.1 Ghz was no problem when running anything but the updater, the actual crash occurs when an unpack thread was started. This process has been optimized fairly recently and I suspect they/you are using AVX. BTW, after further tweaking and voltage adjustment and reverting to an older BIOS version, I'm now able to run a stable overclock at 5.1 Ghz with no AVX offset whilst using the updater. The reason I've asked this question is to highlight the possible issue with overclocked systems (which there are many in DCS)

• Like 1

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4