Virpil / VKB where to buy?

I was about to buy a complete Virpil Setup when I stumbled across complaints about their being slow and not very customer-friendly when in need of support. For example, waiting weeks for a cable doesn't seem uncommon.

So I wonder: Is there any chance to buy a top tier HOTAS over amazon or another shop with good customer service? Of course I won’t mind if it’s more expensive.

I was about to buy a complete Virpil Setup when I stumbled across complaints about their being slow and not very customer-friendly when in need of support. For example, waiting weeks for a cable doesn't seem uncommon.

So I wonder: Is there any chance to buy a top tier HOTAS over amazon or another shop with good customer service? Of course I won’t mind if it’s more expensive.

my first option would be the officials websites. Bear in mind for every complain you read, there are 9 customers who don´t write on forums/social media because they are happily using their Virpil/VKB HOTAS instead.

VKB stuff could be bought from aliexpress in the past unless Im mistaken. Amazon too but not anymore.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Unfortunately no, with Virpil and VKB you are kind of stuck of when you can get one.

They are worth the wait , but it can get long. I myself am a VKB guy. Love the Gunfighter Mk III Pro - L.

I remember patiently waiting for when I could get my first VKB stick, it was a few months.

Not sure where you are, here in the states rrhode here on the forums is the sales contact for VKB, he is pretty good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Bear in mind for every complain you read, there are 9 customers who don´t write on forums/social media because they are happily using their Virpil/VKB HOTAS instead.

I hope that's not accurate, it's quite a depressing statistic.

Amazon too but not anymore.

Do you know why?

They are worth the wait , but it can get long.

Most people keep saying this and surely this is true if you are not one of the (rare) unlucky fellows who have a problem. My X52 is maybe 15 years old and still works, but I won't mind if it broke tomorrow because it's only 100 bucks or so. But if I spend 800 or more, I'd like to be sure to have a reliable support and the option to purchase spare parts in a couple of years or so. If not, isnt it like buying a used HOTAS from ebay? (which, ofc, for VPC/VKB one can't....)

I can only speak about VIRPIL. Never saw a VKB Product beeing available in EU... Like ever...

Never had a problem with Virpil. Ordering backordered parts was easy. 2-3 week delay, then a notice that the CC was charged and I got the part 2 days later.

But I never had an technical issue, so no Support knowledge. Simply awesome gear.

Tundra was speaking in general, not statisticly. So there is not a 10% failure rate ;).

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Bear in mind for every complain you read, there are 9 customers who don´t write on forums/social media because they are happily using their Virpil/VKB HOTAS instead.

More like 25-50:1 ratio than 9:1. It is common thing in internet era that the few who suffers and are ready to go tell it to others, will be much smaller group than even those who suffers but are silent.

It is amazing how example production run that makes 50 000 units of 1500 € product and 250 of them are faulty, how the internet can fill from the negativity and assumptions that most if not even all are faulty.

Internet is such a echo chamber that it is scary how your product fame can rise or dive in a day.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It is amazing how example production run that makes 50 000 units of 1500 € product and 250 of them are faulty, how the internet can fill from the negativity and assumptions that most if not even all are faulty.

It's not the quality of the products that is making people mad, but the way things are handled when trying to fix a problem. Concerning the echo chamber you're of course right, there are always people that will start a drama even after three days without a reply. Still, I don't find the numerous reports on their reaction time encouraging. But I might be spoilt by amazon.

yeah, the numbers mean nothing sorry, I just wanted to state what others seem to agree on, the minority stands out. I´m very happy with my second hand Virpil base I bought 2 years ago on this forum, and the VKB T-rudder pedals I bought several months ago.

VKB stuff got shipped from the Netherlands and arrived within a week to Spain.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Ordered VKB Gunfighter from their sight on 9/5/2020. In my hands (FL, USA) on 9/11/2020. 2nd order on 10/13/2020 for an extra stick. Site said up to a couple week delay because they were working though backlog of being on vacation. In my hands on 10/19/2020. I went back and forth on VKB or Vripil before my first order. Couldn't be happier with VKB quality and the delivery time frame. I also bought the VKB pedals from x-plane.org and had them in a couple days, but they don't list them anymore.

Ordered VKB Gunfighter from their sight on 9/5/2020. In my hands (FL, USA) on 9/11/2020. 2nd order on 10/13/2020 for an extra stick. Site said up to a couple week delay because they were working though backlog of being on vacation. In my hands on 10/19/2020. I went back and forth on VKB or Vripil before my first order. Couldn't be happier with VKB quality and the delivery time frame. I also bought the VKB pedals from x-plane.org and had them in a couple days, but they don't list them anymore.

Awesome to hear.

Yeah I have always been very impressed with VKB, which is why I settled in with them.

I so love my Gunfighter Pro-L MK III with MCG Pro grip. Never a moment issue with it yet, have been running it since like mid Jan.

Pretty much daily.

VKB is top notch. I used to have a link to my review of the stick I have now, but apparently this new forum software does not allow signatures that I can see.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...
DONT BUY VKB!
I was in the same situation two months ago and I finally bought MGC PRO (I've also TM f18, warthog and Cougar).
It arrived to me faulty with an obvious hat button not centered, but really not centered: i can slide it 2mm to the right but 6mm to the left. I contacted support and they requested me photos of the stick. Then they requested me to tear down myself the stick and send them photos of the electronic component. They dont recall the faulty products to send to you a new one, like other manufacturers. They save on customer support and request to you to disambe your stick and repair it with their components. They were agree with me the component was bad welded and the promised to send to me a replacement in two weeks. That was two months ago and fithteen messages claiming them a solution. Allways excuses and no solutions. A more than 500€ component... There are many blames in ther forum. An ADVICE: Go away from VKB: chinese quality (construction and materials), extremely bad support.
  • Like 1

I'm using Virpil bases (with TM and RS grips), while my brother has the VKB Gunfighter and the VKB pedals. We both are very happy with our setup and i guess there is not a big difference in terms of quality between Virpil and VKB. I'd say both are top notch and you can't go wrong with each of them. None of us had technical issues with any of our Virpil/VKB devices. Personally, i prefer Virpil because of the compatibility to TM and Realsimulator and the wide choice of grips that comes with it. But there are VKB adaptors for the TM Warthog and Hornet grip, so there is some expanded versatility with VKB as well. Both are definately worth their price.

Cheers 

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I cannot disagree. Had my Virpil stuff long before my bro got his VKB gear. Mainly choosed Virpil because i already had both TM grips and the VKB adaptor was never in stock (and i checked daily for months). Also there was no adaptor for the hornet grip back then. I realy love my Virpil bases and now highly enjoy the compatibility with Realsimulator (The VKB/TM adaptors don't fit in those i guess) but have to admit that i was pretty much impressed when my brother unboxed his Gunfighter MK. III. Same for the T-Rudder pedals. I need physical toe brakes and i'm not a rotor head, so those aren't for me. But the built quality is indeed outstanding. Absolutely great stuff, no doubt. 

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I purchased a VKB a bit over a month ago. Had a rocky start with the ordering process (which can be read about here if interested VKBSIM - What gives? - VKB-SIM Flight Gear - ED Forums (eagle.ru), but thanks to Daisy via email, and AeroGator managed to get things sorted out and a unit shipped. (My advise - if you don't see anything ship within 7 days of ordering - ignore what Aliexpress is saying and contact them directly - that would have saved me a bit of pain).

As you can see from the other thread - I call disappointment the way I see it, and at first was disappointed with the original support given by the order (First via Aliexpress and then UK support (which IIRC took 10 days just to reply to my email to tell me they won't sell to me in Australia), but once I got onto Daisy in the USA even though I'm in Australia - things were smoothed out very quickly)!

I received my pedals within 10 days of resubmitting the order and I'm glad to say that the quality of the pedals exceeded my expectation.  I came from the CH Pro pedals, and with direct email contact plus forum representation (I hate web page only communication especially via aliexress) - I would have no hesitation purchasing more off them. (In fact I'm eyeing off their other gear now I'm so impressed with the pedals). 

No doubt that the odd flaw could slip through - but I have the feeling that these things are designed like the good ol days - to both last, and if needed to be repairable / items replaced, not the modern day consumerism of having to replaced the product. (Oh - I miss the days of more things being designed to be repairable).

I've viewed youtube video's of people who brought the early stuff that were able to get upgrade parts to it. It seems as though VKB really intend for their products to be used for longevity. 

The pedals would have to be the #1 quality of any PC peripheral I have purchased in over a decade and from what I see, I expect it to last decades!

Edited by Dangerzone

I have both Virpil and VKB sticks, both are quite good and really comes down to personal preference. I currently use a VKB Gunfighter Pro L as my daily driver.

My Virpil stick is the 1st Gen original T-50 which did great for me for some time. Support for both was quite good, however with the VKB latest offering of the Mk III Gunfighter have hardly needed it.

Both are not the easiest things to get. Virpil may be a little better on availability at times.

Hard to go wrong with either really.

Don B