Stupid questions about the bird

Vino

Whats the story about the boresight -button below the master arm switch? Whats its purpose? Ive read the manual, but am still confused. :(

That button switches between Normal and Boresight "missile modes".

Using with AIM-9 :

- NORM (Boresight SCAN mode) : the AIM-9 seeker head scans in a circular pattern - bigger area (although not represented in the HUD);

- BRSIT (Boresight mode) : the AIM-9 seeker head looks straight ahead with the ADL cross (smaller and precise area).

Using with AIM-7 :

- NORM (Normal mode) : essentially the AIM-7 receives the input from Radar, for an already STT locked target;

- BRSIT (Boresight mode) : kind of a manual missile guidance mode (without the need of a previous Radar Lock);

In this mode there is a Radar flood area (I believe around the ADL cross), which must be pointed at the target until missile impact.

Using with AIM-54 :

(Didn't look much at the Boresight mode with the AIM-54 yet.)

• Like 2

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Using with AIM-7 :

- NORM (Normal mode) : essentially the AIM-7 receives the input from Radar, for an already STT locked target;

- BRSIT (Boresight mode) : kind of a manual missile guidance mode (without the need of a previous Radar Lock);

In this mode there is a Radar flood area (I believe around the ADL cross), which must be pointed at the target until missile impact.

The attached image is the flood area from the manual, similar to VSL LO but doesn't cover as much elevation. Probably best used at close range from a rear aspect. Also good for when you have Sparrows but your radar is out of commission, since the flood antenna is separate from the AWG-9 dish.

3c1641ec353473efdb0f2866b0d7fd35.png.1de674f16d9d80eb4686ca92c1a74044.png

The attached image is the flood area from the manual, similar to VSL LO but doesn't cover as much elevation. Probably best used at close range from a rear aspect. Also good for when you have Sparrows but your radar is out of commission, since the flood antenna is separate from the AWG-9 dish.

Thank you for the insight r4y30n.

Indeed I've looked at that diagram in the manual, but wasn't very sure - as there's also that vertical scan area, and the mode itself is designated as "boresight" afterall...

On the bold, I really didn't know it.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB