New Grid Issue

bonesvf103

I was following along with Wags' video on the new grid coordinates function. When he slews his cursor to a grid and then presses adn releases the TDC, it goes back to the HSI data page ready to enter the precise grid coordinates.

But when I do it, I press the TDC and the grid blinks an underscore under the grid alpha characters and never goes to the HSI data page for coordinate entry.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Hold the TDC down longer and make sure it's completely still (if it's moving at all it won't take). Key thing is if it just flashes the underline it didn't take. You need a solid underline and then when you start entering data in the UFC it will flip back to the HSI page.

I too had this issue. I've tried holding it for up to 10 seconds. pressing it multiple times. sometimes it would work, many times it wouldn't. In my last attempt I could only get it to stay underlined using enter on they keyboard, and it was still unreliable then. I could not get it to stay underlined at all using my hotas.

There's no requirement to hold it down for any length of time. There is a few seconds delay after underlining before it proceeds to the next display. The problem is likely that you're slewing slightly while releasing the TDC. Try to use TDC depress on a keyboard key so you can tap the control without accidentally slewing.

There's no requirement to hold it down for any length of time.

I would agree with that, BUT for some reason certain button presses seem to take a "slow" press and release to make them fire (esp. some like the buttons under the UFC - IFF, D/L etc), so it's not a bad starting point to hold it briefly. Slight slew movement is the main reason I have found it doesn't catch.

i have three different buttons bound for tdc depress for testing. one is the stick i use to slew it pressed in. another is a different button on the stick and the 3rd is enter on the keyboard. with any of them, it will just flash an underline for less than a second after i release tdc depress. i can hold it for 1 second or 1 minute or anywhere in between and it will still just flash the underline. after about 5 minutes of spamming the button in every conceivable pattern the underline eventually stays for a few seconds then the page disappears and i can actually enter the grid.

i have three different buttons bound for tdc depress for testing. one is the stick i use to slew it pressed in. another is a different button on the stick and the 3rd is enter on the keyboard. with any of them, it will just flash an underline for less than a second after i release tdc depress. i can hold it for 1 second or 1 minute or anywhere in between and it will still just flash the underline. after about 5 minutes of spamming the button in every conceivable pattern the underline eventually stays for a few seconds then the page disappears and i can actually enter the grid.

Try adding a bit of deadzone to your TDC if you don't have one. This seems to be a bit like the A/P and is very sensitive to any slew movement.

Try adding a bit of deadzone to your TDC if you don't have one. This seems to be a bit like the A/P and is very sensitive to any slew movement.

I was just about to upload a video of how annoying it is. adding a very small deadzone to my tdc slew axis' fixed it. apparently it was creating enough of an input to trip the system up even though it wasn't enough to actually move the cursor.

I was just about to upload a video of how annoying it is. adding a very small deadzone to my tdc slew axis' fixed it. apparently it was creating enough of an input to trip the system up even though it wasn't enough to actually move the cursor.

:thumbup: Good to know! Thanks for coming back to let us know, that answer may help others in the future. I wouldn't have realized it was that sensitive except my TDC slew sometimes doesn't centre quite perfectly so I knew from it moving and preventing it from catching.

This is definitely a PITA. After reading the above (good) advice regarding deadzones, it still took me 10 minutes of fiddling to get the Grid mode to work. What I finally had to do was:

1. Add a small (2 unit) deadzone to the TDC slew axes in the DCS Axis Tune.

2. UNBIND my MouseX and MouseY from the TDC (even though I wasn't touching the mouse while selecting a grid)

That did the trick - and I wasn't using the mouse anyway, but apparently it was generating inputs while sitting on the desk?

Anyway, I think what would really help is for DCS to have a built-in "deadzone" behaviour when a grid cell is selected on the MFD - ignore any minor cursor movements, and only "cancel" the selection if the cursor moves a significant amount (e.g. more then 2-3 pixels) - assuming that 'cancel on move' behaviour is even intentional; it seems strange, really.

• 1 month later...