Add new M waypoint for BK90 TOO in flight?

Machalot

Is it possible to add a new M waypoint while in flight, into one of the empty waypoint slots? Say you have BK90s loaded and you find a target of opportunity either visually or with the ground radar. If there is not already an existing waypoint near the area that can be moved, is it possible to add a new M waypoint? Otherwise it seems like it would not be possible to use a BK90 on such targets.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Create a new B point by punching in a lat/lon? Or is there a more direct way to do it like using the radar?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Radar is pretty wonky and requires you to be fairly close, and high. Get the coords from the map and punch in the LO/LA. BK90's arent relly a TOO weapon they are meant for pre-planned targets and require a visual fix update before the attack is commenced for the best accuracy.

Adding/ using an unused "BX" waypoint sound like what you want to be using. You can do that by either selecting the "BX" WP of choice, and doing a fix. Be it radar or visual. Or you can also add them using coords like any other waypoint.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

I wasn't aware that Bx waypoints are used by the BK90. I thought it would fly to the currently selected M waypoint.

I wasn't aware that Bx waypoints are used by the BK90. I thought it would fly to the currently selected M waypoint.

They will fly to the selected waypoint.

I think of BX waypoints as M waypoint that are out side of the nav polygon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I probably just need to go try it. I'm wondering how to do a radar fix on a BX waypoint that has not yet been defined. Will it show up on the radar? Or do I have to do a visual fix first then fly back around to adjust it with the radar?

BX points are dedicated to the Rb-15F only as far as I know, and BK90s guide to an 'M' point.

For RADAR fixing (and visual fixing) it acts on your currently selected point, and I don't think you can use BX points for the BK90, only 'M' points.

As for the OP, yes you can enter coordinates on the fly and designate that point as the target.

Here's the procedure for anyone, just in case: REF/LOLA, punch in the longitude then the latitude in DDMMSS (degrees minutes seconds), overwrite an existing or select a new B waypoint (B1-9 IIRC) by pressing the appropriate B button to the right; cycle the IN/OUT switch for good measure, go to TAKT, IN/OUT back to IN and enter a single 9, when done select the waypoint you designated and it'll now change from a navigation 'B' point to a target 'M' point.

Incidentally does anyone know if it's possible to change an 'M' point back to a 'B' point (just in case of error if a user accidentally selects the wrong waypoint as the target).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

BX 6-9 are only used for RB15 if they are loaded, otherwise they are just "waypoints" outside the nav polygon, together with BX1-5.

BK90s work with BX points, I used it yesterday.

If you have no BX waypoints already and find a target, you just have to select BX1 for example, hold T1, that will make a waypoint being created 10 or so km in front of the aircraft. Then you just move it to the target and press TV to make a fix. And you have a BX waypoint at your target, that you can use for pretty much any weapon.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you have no BX waypoints already and find a target, you just have to select BX1 for example, hold T1, that will make a waypoint being created 10 or so km in front of the aircraft. Then you just move it to the target and press TV to make a fix. And you have a BX waypoint at your target, that you can use for pretty much any weapon.

That's the part I was missing. I couldn't see how to create a new waypoint using the radar. I thought I would have to punch in lola, which is impractical for a TOO. Thanks!

BX 6-9 are only used for RB15 if they are loaded, otherwise they are just "waypoints" outside the nav polygon, together with BX1-5.

Ah okay, I was completely unaware of this, thanks! :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

That sounds like a bug to me :huh:

Does anyone know if this is how it works IRL? @renhanxue

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

BK90 targets currently selected waypoint but there are no requirements as to what type of waypoint.

Huh, interesting. Over all the years I always thought that's the very purpose of M waypoints and have used them accordingly :noexpression:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Huh, interesting. Over all the years I always thought that's the very purpose of M waypoints and have used them accordingly :noexpression:

Well they do have some special behaviors that extinguish them from the rest, making them usable as target waypoints nevertheless. They are part of the route (in contrast to BX) and poses individual fixing (in contrast to the entire route when performinga fix for any B). An I guess I most likely forgot something more.

I know you already know this, just pointing them out as of not deem the M completely worthless.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Well they do have some special behaviors that extinguish them from the rest, making them usable as target waypoints nevertheless. They are part of the route (in contrast to BX) and poses individual fixing (in contrast to the entire route when performing a fix for any BX). An I guess I most likely forgot something more.

I know you already know this, just pointing them out as of not deem the M completely worthless.

Yeah, that's fair.

BX are more suited for pre-planned mission targets. Where you can share a singe flight plan for a strike package, but you each have a separate BX waypoint for the targets. That's what I/ we have been using them for at least, other than for the RB15s, works great.

For TOO a fix in SPA is probably better tbh, it not being connected to the route...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, Northstar98 said:

Incidentally does anyone know if it's possible to change an 'M' point back to a 'B' point (just in case of error if a user accidentally selects the wrong waypoint as the target).

I found out it is same way as B to M but instead 9 put 0

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miromurin said:

I found out it is same way as B to M but instead 9 put 0

Yeah, that's explained in the manual on page 186.

• Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yep, SPA mode and markpoints are incredibly under rated functions in the Viggen. It's so much better than creating them in e.g. the Mirage. I wish people were more aware of that functionality so we could stop the incredibly stupid "the Viggen can only hit pre planned targets!" posts, but nooooo, it's listed as a reconnaissance function and recce things don't make other things explode, so let's ignore it entirely. Rant off. 

• Like 4

On 10/5/2021 at 12:46 AM, LazyBoot said:

You could also use SPA mode to assign targets directly from the radar screen

You don't even need SPA mode for that. You can also do that in NAV or ANF mode when performing radar fixes on target waypoints (Mx).

Tornado3 small.jpg

24 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

You don't even need SPA mode for that. You can also do that in NAV or ANF mode when performing radar fixes on target waypoints (Mx).

Doing that would require you to move the cursor to the target, so if it's far away and/or behind you it will take some faffing around to get it to where it needs to be. With SPA it's directly in front of the aircraft and may therefore be faster. With SPA you will also still have the position of the main target point still in the system, so depending on load out and mission that could be beneficial.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 11/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, Northstar98 said:

Should work like this:

Rotate to TAKT

Flip to IN

Enter 0

Press the respective waypoint button (e.g. B1),

Rotate to REF-LOLA

Flip to OUT

• Thanks 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

Should work like this:

Rotate to TAKT

Flip to IN

Enter 0

Press the respective waypoint button (e.g. B1),

Rotate to REF-LOLA

Flip to OUT

Thanks, I completely glossed over it in the manual - was having a brain fart moment.

System: