Warthog Hotas - What do you use for Zoom?

treasure

Hi Guys,

hope you all well. just wondering what you use for zoom, i understand different people use different assignments, so all comments welcome. i am beginning to wonder if i bought the right hotas, as i cant seem to get comfortable with the zoom. to me seems the x56 has the best zoom in the form of a wheel on the thrust handle

When my warthog was working properly i just used the pinky button on the stick or just bind it to the keyboard either way will work

interesting, def prefer a button on hotas as opposed to keyboard. the pinky button is a straight depress button. so when you press that it zooms in, when you let go does it zoom out? - or how does it zoom out?

I use Button 19 on my Warthog stick for zooming in & out, Forward press zooms-in, aft press zooms-out. A press to the right (position 16 on Button 19), instantly returns me to a normal cockpit view when I am viewing left-right-up-down with the TMS button.

• Like 1

The (real life) friction adjuster axis alongside the throttles. Fast and precise.

This one for me too.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

While I'm a Wathog HOTAS user I still use the default / and * and Enter keys on the numpad on the keyboard for zooming, as it works well for me and I need my HOTAS buttons for actual aircraft functions.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The (real life) friction adjuster axis alongside the throttles. Fast and precise.

This one for me too.

• Like 1

Current specs: Windows 10 64bit, i7-7700K @ 4.8 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX2070-Super, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog, TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

I use the friction adjustment axis as well. Although I have to take my hands off the throttle to reach it, I find that it works fine. Because I fly the A-10 in the sim, most of my controls are mapped 1 to 1, so I don't have spare buttons.

• Like 1

NZXT H510i | ASROCK B450 Pro-4 | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080Ti | 32GB G.Skill 3600 RAM | Western Digital SN750 NVME M.2 | MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34" | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | MFG Crosswind | NaturalPoint TrackIR 5

Module Icons New.png

I use the friction adjustment axis as well. Although I have to take my hands off the throttle to reach it' date=' I find that it works fine. Because I fly the A-10 in the sim, most of my controls are mapped 1 to 1, so I don't have spare buttons.[/quote']

at this stage i am struggling to accept that all the buttons can be used, in these early days for me the only thing i use is the thrust levers themselves, i spend my idle time torturing myself thinking that i spent loads of money on a glorified accelerator when i could have come up with something cheaper. i suppose as i get more involved i will start using more switches.

• Like 1

at this stage i am struggling to accept that all the buttons can be used, in these early days for me the only thing i use is the thrust levers themselves, i spend my idle time torturing myself thinking that i spent loads of money on a glorified accelerator when i could have come up with something cheaper. i suppose as i get more involved i will start using more switches.

The switches that click on/off on the base of the throttle are just a nice immersion and make things a little simpler. But when you start using weapons and slewing the TGP around and zooming it in and out and dropping flares/chaff while slamming on the speedbrakes before selecting then uncaging a MAV to get a shot off you'll be glad to have the assorted buttons on the handles of the throttle and joystick :lol::lol:. Don't worry, it's not a glorified accelerator :joystick::)

• Like 2

Something to consider, you can created shifted commands within DCS. I'm sure there is a tutorial on it somewhere on the forums, or maybe on YouTube. In short, I use my paddle as a modifier (shifted function). So my HOTAS on the top layer, functions as it does in real life (with the exception that the aircraft I'm flying may not be the Hawg), but with the shifted commands, I can do things from the HOTAS that you can not do with the HOTAS IRL.

For example, if I press and hold my paddle and then press WPNS Release it will jettison my stores. If I press paddle and pinky switch, it will eject me. Now you're probably thinking why have an ejection on the HOTAS. Well, pressing paddle and pinky takes some effort, and it will not accidently be pressed.

I have many other shifted options, quite a list to go through. Just wanted to share the idea, as you can create zoom on the shifted function if you need too. I have zoom in VR on a shifted CMS switch.

• Like 2

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP