Damage model

Miro

Well, Stinger actually can do a lot of damage especially on direct hits. You can check some actual footages of various helicopters shotdowns by various missiles. Especially in cases when tail just falls of and it's practically impossible to save damaged aircraft as such.

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Initial damage model, not like the Mi-8 one stinger, and the entire crew heads down and au revoir. I flew a little on the ww2 damage model test and I can see that ED can do it well.

I think you might be over estimating the ability of a few millimetres of aluminium panelling to resist a 3kg fragmentation warhead... in fact, the panelling probably increases the amount of shrapnel the crew would face.

As for the Mi-24 - I think if you look closely at the helicopter in this footage, you'll notice a distinct lack of a front part of the helicopter after impact:

• Like 1

That's a mock-up target drone, not an actual Mi-24. You can see it due to the three blades instead of five, and pseudo-taildragger fixed gear arrangement.

Cross examination of Soviet and CIA data shows that around 60 Mi-24s were hit by a Stinger, for a total of 18 aircraft lost or written off. A 30% success rate in the case of impact, compounded with the rather poor hit rate (more or less 10% according to most sources) is nothing to write home about.

• Like 1

Wow, that's quite a higher survival ratio than I thought at first. Well, it is indeed a flying tank if nothing else. Should be more tougher than Mi-8 that's for sure. Also since updated damage model for WW2 is already out, and since ED promised it will do advanced damage model for other modern modules I really want to know if the hind will come already with updated one or it will be added later like it damage model for WW2 module was recently just added.

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's a mock-up target drone, not an actual Mi-24. You can see it due to the three blades instead of five, and pseudo-taildragger fixed gear arrangement.

Cross examination of Soviet and CIA data shows that around 60 Mi-24s were hit by a Stinger, for a total of 18 aircraft lost or written off. A 30% success rate in the case of impact, compounded with the rather poor hit rate (more or less 10% according to most sources) is nothing to write home about.

Thank you!