Strafe: Gun shooting high?

Nealius

Multiplayer, night, 29.92, 26C, Syria, target elevation a smidge above 1,000MSL, flat terrain. My Hornet's gun is shooting consistently high. Has anyone noticed the same?

1: Aiming slightly high in the target diamond, impacts way high of the target diamond (Aimpoint / Impact)

2: Aiming at the bottom tip of the target diamond, impacts at the top tip of the target diamond (Aimpoint / Impact)

3: Aiming at the bottom tip of the target diamond, impacts are way way of the target diamond (Aimpoint / Impact)

4: Aiming well low of the target diamond, impacts are right on target diamond (Aimpoint / Impact)

Result of four passes: Zero damage to unarmored pickup trucks.

• Like 1

There's actually quite a few real current and former pilots who do. No doubt the "former" bit makes up more of the population. I'm just tired of nearly two years of nothing but CASE I and III because weapon systems keep getting broken. At least I'm really good at NATOPS carrier procedure :lol:

I confirm. This also happen with rockets. Dumb bombs on CCIP however seems to be accurate. This post should be moved to BUG section and take care by developers

Really? There are threads about how wrong the CCIP accuracy is in the last few patches.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It is WAY too high now after the hotfix. In a 15 degree dive 420kts the impacts are on the upper part of the range circle and not on the pipper. Gun is almost useless for strafing right now because you have to rake the target, and what few rounds land a hit the pickup truck will still happily chug along.

It is WAY too high now after the hotfix. In a 15 degree dive 420kts the impacts are on the upper part of the range circle and not on the pipper. Gun is almost useless for strafing right now because you have to rake the target, and what few rounds land a hit the pickup truck will still happily chug along.

Works OK for me.

guns.trk

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

Not seeing an issue, and the feedback we are getting from the dev team and SME's is its correct as is.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It happens to me every single time I do a multiplayer flight off the Supercarrier. However, if I do a single-player air-start the impacts are dead-on accurate. Something's fishy, either with the multiplayer or with the boat. I'll run some more tests.

So far, I have ruled out:

-multiplayer vs singleplayer

-default vs no-tracer

-clean jet

-air start

-CVN75 hot start

Conditions when accuracy is off

-Multiplayer, target area 100+nm from CVN75 on Syria, loaded with 2xA9x, 1xA120C, TPOD on cheek, assortment of GBU12/38 and/or AGM65E, two fuel tanks (double ugly). Under those conditions the issue is 100% reproducible for me.

Okay, I've gotten it 100% reproduceable on my machine. It seems something weird is happening the first time DCS loads in the F/A-18C after booting the game. If I hit Fly Again, or replay my track, it doesn't occur; it's as if the initial load of the aircraft has a bug, but subsequent loads fix it.

Steps to Reproduce:

- Boot up DCS from Desktop

- Select F/A-18C Instant Action Mission "Ground Attack Practice" on the Syria Map

- Select AG Mode, then GUN with mouse clicks in cockpit

- Note the Center of the Pipper is co-located with the Velocity Vector

- Pick a target, roll in, and fire - Note the Rounds land long

- If Fly Again is selected, or the mission reselected from the main menu (without restarting DCS) Repeat steps above (AG mode and GUN selected again), notice the center of the Pipper is now ABOVE the Velocity Vector (where it should be)

- This time, rounds land on target when IN RNG

Attached are two photos from the same play session: First one is exactly following the steps to reproduce, second one is after hitting Quit, and reselecting the mission from the main menu.

Edit: messed up the attachments, fixed now

804949849_HornetPipperFirstFlight.thumb.png.9f38386a90122616a83665e402e030d8.png

873775304_HornetPipperSecondFlight.thumb.png.a74d8de68f359aadcab2f8a983e482ec.png

OK, I haven't tried what you suggest, but I believe it. What you are seeing is the same as has been seen in many other contexts in DCS in recent months. Examples are Walleye, Mav F and Mav E. There are others but I can't remember off the top of my head what they are.

Exact same situation. Tracks would be posted, some people wouldn't see the issue, and yet replaying the track would then show the issue.

​​​​​​​This needs to be acknowledged and looked into by ED.

I wonder if this is also why intermittently, we’re having trouble with Mk82/83/84 and rocket accuracy. If the ranging information used to display HUD cues gets incorrectly calculated or is somehow bugged when being displayed, then this could affect any non-guided AG munition release cue - pure speculation on my part, but I would assume there’s a lot of code interdependencies.

Something is borked, definitely.

This explains why it happens to me every time: I always clear fxo/metashaders2 between EVERY flight so I don't get the blanked TGP bug.

So, if the pipper is wrong the first time we load the Hornet, and if the TGP get's blanked out from smoke any time we don't clear out our fxo and metashaders2 folders, then that means in any Hornet mission we have two choices:

1. Have good strafing but INOP TGP.

2. Have INOP strafing and good TGP.

Smooth. Guess I'll go back to CASE I/III practice until things get fixed :(

So, just for lols, I did a complete (slow) repair, and now the Pipper is fixed, and I can't get it to bug-out again. Luckily I saved a continuous Nvidia Shadowplay video of me loading into the game, demoing the broken Pipper, quitting to main menu, and then flying the mission again, so I KNOW I'm not crazy.

This is such a mystery, but I'm going to keep working at repeating it. Possibly it'll crop up after the update next week. For now, I'd suggest a full repair, including checking for extra files afterwards, and then normal the fxo and metshaders2 delete. That hopefully will prevent it from bugging out. Maybe it has something to do with the update process, that gets cleaned up when you force a repair with .cmd, but not through the automatic dcs_updater.exe process??

So, just for lols, I did a complete (slow) repair, and now the Pipper is fixed, and I can't get it to bug-out again. Luckily I saved a continuous Nvidia Shadowplay video of me loading into the game, demoing the broken Pipper, quitting to main menu, and then flying the mission again, so I KNOW I'm not crazy.

This is such a mystery, but I'm going to keep working at repeating it. Possibly it'll crop up after the update next week. For now, I'd suggest a full repair, including checking for extra files afterwards, and then normal the fxo and metshaders2 delete. That hopefully will prevent it from bugging out. Maybe it has something to do with the update process, that gets cleaned up when you force a repair with .cmd, but not through the automatic dcs_updater.exe process??

OK thats interesting. I might try as well. Thanks for the note

This explains why it happens to me every time: I always clear fxo/metashaders2 between EVERY flight so I don't get the blanked TGP bug.

So, if the pipper is wrong the first time we load the Hornet, and if the TGP get's blanked out from smoke any time we don't clear out our fxo and metashaders2 folders, then that means in any Hornet mission we have two choices:

1. Have good strafing but INOP TGP.

2. Have INOP strafing and good TGP.

Smooth. Guess I'll go back to CASE I/III practice until things get fixed :(

There's a lot in the fxo folder. Do we clear it all out?

Buzz