LAN MP possible or Interent only?

Osita

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 9:20 AM, Osita said:

In most games it's possible to set up a LAN multiplayer but I haven't seen anything about that for DCS. Can it be done? Any guides for doing that?

Yes, it's possible and works well, just note that you should have different account for each client connected with valid modules, and on DCS startup all the client should be able to connect to internet to validate their modules.

Server/host machine can create server as usual and on all client use the connect by IP option and put the internal LAN IP address of server/host.
Just follow any other server/host guide since the process it will be exact the same.

• Like 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, Maverick87Shaka said:

Yes, it's possible and works well, just note that you should have different account for each client connected with valid modules, and on DCS startup all the client should be able to connect to internet to validate their modules.

Server/host machine can create server as usual and on all client use the connect by IP option and put the internal LAN IP address of server/host.
Just follow any other server/host guide since the process it will be exact the same.

"should have different account", or is it "MUST have a different account"?  For example, I have purchased nearly every module and every map...I now have two capable PC's and two sets of VR goggles.  I just want to take my son and my wife (and other relatives) for a virtual flight in a two-place aircraft so they can see what I'm seeing in VR.  I did this one time with the Christen Eagle via a free Internet server and sure enough, some jerk in an F-14 tried to ram me head on.  I waited to the last instant and evaded, he crashed.  So, I'd like to do this within my own LAN, free of jerks.  And I imagine it would have much better response times in a gigabit LAN.  

So, I MUST purchase, say, a 2nd license of the Nevada map and a 2nd license of the Yak-52...and then it will work?  Is that the case?  Seems like it should be free to use within my own LAN, so long as not joining up more than two PC's.  So that this kind of local "sharing of the experience" can be done.

Hey guys, thanks for replies / comments. Sorry it took so long for me to check in. I've been really busy with a lot of projects.

I'm a little confused on the comment from Andrew8604, regarding the 2 PC limit... why would it be necessary to limit to 2 PCs? I mean if you pay for the licenses, I would imagine the only limit ought to be the available bandwidth.

And I agree 100% with that comment about wanting a "jerk free" environment. If we want to teach a new player how to use it or have a friendly game with people of equal skill level, it should be possible without having strangers come to troll the players. Also if you want to have some kind of competitive play like a tournament or skills competition, you don't want random people dropping in to mess that up.