Eurofighter MIDS/Link16 interoperability

Wizard_03

So assuming we get something like SRP 4.1 does anyone know how well the datalink is integrated with the jets own sensors? Can we expect hornet levels of sensor fusion, such onboard/offboard contacts correlated on the radar B scope, as well on the jets appropriate HSD equivalent? Can they be displayed on the helmet like JHMCS? Or should we expect a more limited functionality, like SADL or Link4 in the Tomcat?

• Like 1

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

What makes you think that we'll get an SRP 4.1 standard? TrueGrit has not announced the capability standard they will aim for, also due to ongoing negotiations with legal entities.

To answer your question MIDS data are fused with onboard sensor tracks to produce a coherent set of fused track files. The logic for displaying tracks on the HUD is somewhat different in the Typhoon. There you get all designated targets displayed. Dependent on the standard COOPs are also displayed.

Although the site is in german you can have a look at some of the MFD pages here: http://eurofighter.airpower.at/cockpit-mfd.htm Note how the trackfiles have a letter in them so that you can easily cross-reference which track is the same on multiple mfds.

And a video demonstrating a few things, although if all this software will be in our version remains to be seen, especially since its a british demo and we're getting the german one first.

Edited by Etirion
Added info
  • Like 1

Although the site is in german you can have a look at some of the MFD pages here: http://eurofighter.airpower.at/cockpit-mfd.htm Note how the trackfiles have a letter in them so that you can easily cross-reference which track is the same on multiple mfds.

And a video demonstrating a few things, although if all this software will be in our version remains to be seen, especially since its a british demo and we're getting the german one first.

Impressive.

We DCS pilots argue from time to time whether it is a game or a simulator. Typhoon pilots might do the same with their simulator. ;)

What makes you think that we'll get an SRP 4.1 standard? TrueGrit has not announced the capability standard they will aim for, also due to ongoing negotiations with legal entities.

I know, nothing, I'm just trying to ball park the capabilities so we can have a discussion. On a side note, I think something like Tranche 1 block 2B - block 5 would be my personal wish for DCS but we'll have to see what they can and can't do of course.

Anyways, so one thing that I know the hornet lacks (at least ATM) is COOP target indicators, or the ability to assign wing men to specific contacts during the sorting phase of BVR with just the link information. Is that something the Typhoon is capable of doing? I would imagine yes?

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

those track files i believe are for voice input, I have no idea if those letters are the same across the board for other eurofighters to coordinate, its possible for ease of doing DVI and it would make sense, however at the same time you can just have flight lead assign them to two, three and four.

KpA2hv8.png.8c3d80da3e0a2a74dea07cfcdacd6311.png

9AJZhAt.png.17d96d7a87e97c35262120a627b21a39.png

the link of the german website with the sa page top down also shows that it will have something similar to the sa page for the hornet, so yes it should have the same datalink integration as the hornet. (although you should be able to fire at datalinked targets in the eurofighter that are not painted by your own radar or irst but thats a limitation of dcs itself based on the lack of ability for the jf-17 to do that)

for the striker helmet they should be able to look around and see the targets although info about the first striker helmet only is a bit hard to come by

• Like 1

@Wizard_03

A careful look at the images released thus far unveils a Tranche 2/3 cockpit layout, which could be anything between Block 8 and 25. If you read the opening post in the facts and myth thread you'll recognise that the Block number is not really of relevance. TG already stated that they'll opt for the most advanced capability standard they can achieved, which is still under negotiation with licence holder.

The letters are refered to as Track Cross Refence Index (TCRI). As its name implies the TCRI is uswd to cross relate tracks across the different tactical head down and head up display formats. TCRIs are automatically assigned to the highest prioritised non-friendly tracks until the limit of TCRIs is reached. If tracks are designated as targets they get a TCRI assigned when they have none yet. The pilot can use voice commands using the TCRI to designate tracks as targets, lock them or assign them as targets to a COOP. TCRIs are not shared by different COOPs however. If a COOP gets a target assigned it will get a TCRI assogned if accepted as a target.

hope that clarifies your question.

• Like 1

Sorry...but what is COOP?

Ps i tried the google reasearch but i can only find a supermarket

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Sorry...but what is COOP?

Ps i tried the google reasearch but i can only find a supermarket

MIDS Cooperator. That's your Flight and/or Team members or wingmen if you want to call them like that. Target assignments can only be performed for COOPs. There are further functions that are applicable to COOPs only.