Radar air to ground exp modes TDC Slewing with Realistic TDC Slewing off.

I'm starting a new thread for this since the old one was marked as correct as is with no explanation months ago and no response from ED. Many of us have a problem when we don't have the perfect HOTAS that causes the Air to ground radar slewing to become impossible or difficult. Disabling realistic TDC slew seems like the option that should help us with this problem.

Here is the original thread for anyone who wants some light reading: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/controller-questions-and-bugs-aa/286127-correct-as-is-exp-trapezoid-not-slewing-realistic-tdc-unchecked

For me, I do not use a joystick hat or axis for TDC that has a depress function. In order to slew the cursor on the air to ground radar. I have to take my hand off my throttle and hold my tdc depress button on my stick why i use the tdc slew on the stick. It would be nice if ED could add some functionality for different setups.

Suggestion: with realistic TDC Slew off. On air to ground radar EXP modes. TDC depress once to activate cursor. slew as desired. TDC depress again to release. That would give many of us a much needed quality of life improvement for the EXP modes.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

+1 thank you. I kept wanting to bump the old thread but this is better. There definitely needs to be a better explanation from ED on this. Even if it's just, "hey, we can't figure out how to properly code it for the AG radar EXP modes". Some transparency and a real explanation will be greatly appreciated.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:46 PM, tech_op2000 said:

I'm starting a new thread for this since the old one was marked as correct as is with no explanation months ago and no response from ED. Many of us have a problem when we don't have the perfect HOTAS that causes the Air to ground radar slewing to become impossible or difficult. Disabling realistic TDC slew seems like the option that should help us with this problem.

Here is the original thread for anyone who wants some light reading: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/controller-questions-and-bugs-aa/286127-correct-as-is-exp-trapezoid-not-slewing-realistic-tdc-unchecked

For me, I do not use a joystick hat or axis for TDC that has a depress function. In order to slew the cursor on the air to ground radar. I have to take my hand off my throttle and hold my tdc depress button on my stick why i use the tdc slew on the stick. It would be nice if ED could add some functionality for different setups.

Suggestion: with realistic TDC Slew off. On air to ground radar EXP modes. TDC depress once to activate cursor. slew as desired. TDC depress again to release. That would give many of us a much needed quality of life improvement for the EXP modes.

This so much this. I use the Communications part of my warthog throttle to control my TDC depress and slew and it wont work for the Air To Ground EXP modes, i use mu mouse nipple thing as my discord p2t, not everyone uses the nipple for TDC slew. ED fixed this for the maverick slewing surley there are other people with this issue.

I've mentioned it to Big Newey on discord but he just tested it and said his is working . LOL.

• 3 months later...
On 12/3/2020 at 5:32 PM, Badass1982 said:

Bignewy responded to the old thread for all that care, Still not much of a solution but at least they are apparently looking into it!

He never said they are looking at it. All what they do is to mark the thread as correct as is. Very frustrating... 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 6:38 PM, TomCatMucDe said:

He never said they are looking at it. All what they do is to mark the thread as correct as is. Very frustrating... 

Yeah check the other thread everyone posted in. there was an update in there . They don't care what we think and it works the way its supposed to was his general (and wrong reply). He also basically told me the same on discord when i tagged him a while back. Its blatantly an issue and one which should have such an easy fix as they have already implemented it on another weapon. Especially as u cant slew two SOI at the same time. No reason for them not to port the turning off of realistic tdc slew to the ground radar from the mav SOI.

He seems to think that its fixed. LOL Last post on the linked thread quotes the big man himself saying "I have checked again today, all seems to behave as it should for me. I have asked other testers to check also. " LOL.

23 hours ago, fmedges said:

If it is working correctly then they should change the text to “Realistic maverick tdc slew” as it only covers that one specific thing. Pretty bad user experience if that’s the case in my opinion. 

no, it obviously doesnt work as it should but it is sad that they dont even care to answer and acknowledge it. 

• 2 weeks later...

This so much this. I use the Communications part of my warthog throttle to control my TDC depress and slew and it wont work for the Air To Ground EXP modes, i use mu mouse nipple thing as my discord p2t, not everyone uses the nipple for TDC slew. ED fixed this for the maverick slewing surley there are other people with this issue.

I've mentioned it to Big Newey on discord but he just tested it and said his is working . LOL.
For the A/G radar you use SCS in the direction of the display for designation/locking GMT/SEA targets rather than TDC depress.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

For the A/G radar you use SCS in the direction of the display for designation/locking GMT/SEA targets rather than TDC depress.

But did it lock EXP mode for mapping a new area?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Hulkbust44 said:

I think you misunderstood. it is not about how to lock, it is about how to move the EXP1 2 and 3 areas. It doesnt work if you have the unrealistic behavior checked. 

I think you misunderstood. it is not about how to lock, it is about how to move the EXP1 2 and 3 areas. It doesnt work if you have the unrealistic behavior checked. 
Realistic TDC slew checked or unchecked?

Your last statement is confusing.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:39 PM, Hulkbust44 said:

Realistic TDC slew checked or unchecked?

Your last statement is confusing.

Sorry for the confusion. But the point is whether you check it or uncheck it, it has no effect on the behavior of the TDC in EXP modes. It works well though for MAVs, TGP, AA and AG Radar (other than in EXP modes)

On 4/8/2021 at 12:55 PM, Hulkbust44 said:

Yes I'm well aware of that, but the way I have my warthog setup I cannot SLEW whilst in A/G radar mode which you are supposed to able to. This works flawlessly on the MAVs AFTER they implemented the option to DISABLE realistic TDC slew for the mavs. They need to implement this for the AG radar the same way it is implemented for the MAVs. It has been explained many times in this thread and the other one by myself and many other warthog users!

The issue we are having, to spell it out for you is that we CANNOT SLEW they A/G radar in its current implementation at all. So we basically cannot use the A/G radar AT ALL.

Yes I'm well aware of that, but the way I have my warthog setup I cannot SLEW whilst in A/G radar mode which you are supposed to able to. This works flawlessly on the MAVs AFTER they implemented the option to DISABLE realistic TDC slew for the mavs. They need to implement this for the AG radar the same way it is implemented for the MAVs. It has been explained many times in this thread and the other one by myself and many other warthog users!

The issue we are having, to spell it out for you is that we CANNOT SLEW they A/G radar in its current implementation at all. So we basically cannot use the A/G radar AT ALL.
So what is the cause of the issue?
Can you not have two inputs on the throttle at a time? I bind my TDC depress to "DMS" up on my Whathog.

37 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

So what is the cause of the issue?
Can you not have two inputs on the throttle at a time? I bind my TDC depress to "DMS" up on my Whathog.

Not the point . Read through both threads carefully. This is an easy fix for ED to make and its affecting multiple users. If you cant understand that the onus isn't on me to convince the minority its an issue. Our point its it would be nice for ED to acknowledge its an issue instead of ignoring it.

The cause has been explained many times in both this thread and the other one linked in this thread.

It's NOT THE TDC DEPRESS THAT ISNT WORKING ITS THE SLEWING OF THE TRAPEZOIDS JESUS MAN!

Edited by Badass1982

You can use the A/G radar if you try...
If you can't slew it with the way you bound your controls and want to use that feature, you should change it. You're making it sound like the A/G radar is broken for Whathog users, which is not true. I'll need to adapt my setup when/if we get the rest of the HOTAS functions where SCS depress is used at a modifier for the castle switch. Yes, ED should make the realistic TDC behavior toggle-able for the A/G radar too, but it's not like you physical can not use it, it just that it's a slight inconvenience.

Yes, we can change the binding, obviously ...

We can also put the TDC press on the weapon release of the stick if we want, or I don't know, the TDC slew on the throttle axis of the HOTAS.

We can do anything 🥳

Joke aside.

The point is not "change the binding and everything will be fine".

The point is : there is an option "realistic TDC slew" that allow to NOT keep the TDC pressed to slew MAVs.

It is great because for some HOTAS TDC (that aren't designed as the Hornet's one), doing so is a pain in the ass (x65 owner here, not pain in the ass but still not confortable)

We may also think that with such name, this option should also act for in fact all the Hornet command that request to keep the TDC Press (ex: AG radar EDIT: in EXP modes). But nope.

So either this option is intended only for MAVs (as it was at first), or it is intended for all "keep TDC Press" command.

In the first case, option should be clear about "mav only"

But the second option would be welcome

Edited by Anubis_94

You can use the A/G radar if you try...
If you can't slew it with the way you bound your controls and want to use that feature, you should change it. You're making it sound like the A/G radar is broken for Whathog users, which is not true. I'll need to adapt my setup when/if we get the rest of the HOTAS functions where SCS depress is used at a modifier for the castle switch. Yes, ED should make the realistic TDC behavior toggle-able for the A/G radar too, but it's not like you physical can not use it, it just that it's a slight inconvenience.

Would you have the courtesy to read before you post?

The issue is not with the AG radar in map mode. It is with EXP1 2 and 3 modes. Test it and you will see that the EXP area DOESNT NOT move as intended if you have the realistic behavior unchecked! Jesus!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Would you have the courtesy to read before you post?

The issue is not with the AG radar in map mode. It is with EXP1 2 and 3 modes. Test it and you will see that the EXP area DOESNT NOT move as intended if you have the realistic behavior unchecked! Jesus!

Works for me. It's not broken, you just hold a TDC depress, which from what I can tell from above is just an inconvenience to you and if you use the radar as it's intended it will work.
You have yet to convince me that there is a bug, where something like multiple inputs not being recognized would be an issue. Your lack of initiative is not something ED can fix. Until you can unrealistically slew the TDC in EXP, use it properly and I'm sure it will work.

Seriously? There must be something wrong with your understanding. If you use warthog, you CANT depress the the tdc nipple and slew it. It is a hardware limitation ! That's why ED added the unrealistic behavior possibility which work for everything EXCEPT the EXP modes. If you can't understand plain text, I'm afraid I can't do anything for you.

Hulk dude you CLEARLY dont understand what the issue is. Maybe stop replying if you can't figure out what EVERYONE else in this thread is saying. It's clearly an issue and you coming in here and saying "works for my setup" isn't helping anything or anyone. This will be the last reply I will post to you because you clearly cannot read or perform simple comprehension.