Is steam VR needed for DCS non-steam version?

skypickle

This post from a year said that steam VR is needed by most headsets

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-world-2-5/steam-support/239630-vr-no-steam

but I dont know if that is still true. I am looking to get the Reverb and have the nonsteam version of DCS. Although I see a lot of people buy fpsVR to measure their VR performance. Can this app run without steam?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

You dont need Steam /SteamVR for non WMR( Windows Mixed Reality) Headsets like Oculus and Pimax.

With the Reverb that is WMR you need SteamVR.

I have seen some threads about using WMR without steam but not digged into it.

There isnt any problems or troubles to use Steam so I dont see any idea to round Steam.

fpsvr is a Steam app so I dont think you can use it without SteamVR.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Yep unless ED implements support for WMR Steam is required.

Wags posted some time ago, maybe around a year ago, that they would look into native WMR support but nothing ever came out of that.

Now that Oculus has gone off in a different direction and more are getting Reverb it would be nice if they did.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You need Steam VR and "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR". You must have both. You must opt into the Steam VR beta for WMR for Steam VR to work.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Man, cant figure out how to get DCS Flight Simulator working with the HP Reverb G2. Have WMR running, installed SteamVR and then start DCS in VR mode. Just keep seeing the cliff house from WMR in the headset. I am running the open beta non steam version of DCS. This is my first headset, HP G2 doesn't come with any info so just guessing at this point. I do see a message on SteamVR to connect headset even though it's on and working with WMR. Tried just launching DCS solo and no luck there either.

Yeah I struggled all evening yesterday trying to get my G2 set up properly, so no gaming yet to speak of.

Back at it fresh this morning.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I struggled all evening yesterday trying to get my G2 set up properly, so no gaming yet to speak of.

Back at it fresh this morning.

I think theres plenty oof knowledge here.

But the easiest way to start is to follow the reverb guide at vr4dcs.

Follow that guide and you are safe

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I think theres plenty oof knowledge here.

But the easiest way to start is to follow the reverb guide at vr4dcs.

Follow that guide and you are safe

I find most of the articles on vr4dcs for the setup are outdated, When I look at the pictures posted, I am not see the same page format in Steam VR beta and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam beta. Maybe i'm not looking in the right places, also most of the You Tube videos are a year old

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I find most of the articles on vr4dcs for the setup are outdated, When I look at the pictures posted, I am not see the same page format in Steam VR beta and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam beta. Maybe i'm not looking in the right places, also most of the You Tube videos are a year old

The guide is updated, but not the date on top. For example it said windows 10 version 1903 or 1909 before. Now ot says 2004 which is from this spring. There a newer version which I use and this works good as well.

I think almost everything works the same for the setup despite upgraded firmware. Earlier you needed to use SteamVR Beta-version to make 100% Supersampling to be about the same as the native resolution but I think the non beta is updated to work the same. Anyhow, I still use the beta with the latest version and it works very well.

—> Do the setup as the guide and then we can discuss settings from that point to make DCS rock.

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/08/moving-from-oculus-to-reverb/

Cannot post more than one link, Ill do another post.

I am very familiar with DCS and VR having been using VR since the beginning of the Oculus Rift, then Rift S and the tools of the Oculus brand are quite refined now. The tools available for the Reverb G2 Via Steam and WMR seem to be still evolving. I am not a big fan of having to edit software and so reluctant to so. For example I am struggling to use my mouse while in the cliff house. I also do not see the same categories in the settings menus jn Steam VR app and WMR for Steam app that You Tube videos show.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I am very familiar with DCS and VR having been using VR since the beginning of the Oculus Rift,

I also started with VR when the Oculus Rift CV1 arrived.

Theres more to do with WMR before you are up and running but the good guides at vr4dcs.com should be enough.

The extra work is very well worth it and if you get the fpsvr app, you will be able to tune the VR and DCS graphic settings in a fraction of the time. For me the total time used to get running and all setups done was way less with Reverb.

When you start using WMR /Reverb, you sont know all software and settings needed.

Thats why you should follow a guide the first time.