A humble opinion how should DSC WWII scene develop in future years

tapi

Well, this proposal considers a very long development time for a new aircraft from ED and limited resources of the developer.

That is why I tried to limit the number of necessary new planes to an absolute minimum to satisfy approximately (not precisely) even aircraft performance and historically correct scenarios.

This approach is inevitably a kind of compromise far from ideal but IMHO usable for reasonable combat scenarios.

A) England & France (January-June 1944)

Map: The Channel

Luftwaffe: Fw 190A-8, Fw 190F-8, Bf 109 G6-Late,

AI: Ju 88 A-4

Allies: Spitfire Mk. IXC, P-51D Mustang, P-47D-30 Thunderbolt, Mosquito FB Mk. VI

AI: B-17G, A-20G,

B) Invasion (June-October 1944)

Map: Normandy

Luftwaffe: FW 190 A-8, Fw 190F-8, Bf 109 G6-Late,

AI: Ju 88 A-4

Allies: Spitfire Mk. IXc, P-51D Mustang, P-47D-30 Thunderbolt, Mosquito FB Mk. VI

AI: A-20G

C) Late-War Scenario (September 1944 - may 1945)

Map: The Netherlands and Rhineland map

Luftwaffe: Bf 109K4, Fw 190D-9, Me 262A, Fw 190F-8

Allies: Tempest Mk. V, Spitfire Mk. XIV, P-51D Mustang (with 150-grade fuel), P-47D-40 Thunderbolt (with 150-grade fuel)

Notes:

- of course, there are some other not mentioned overlaps of a/c types among scenarios - I just tried to intentionally create minimal planeset for every scenario

- I consider Mosquito as nearly finished and Me 262 as an in-progress project

- 4 new player-controlled planes needs to be created: Bf 109 G6-Late, Fw 190F-8, Tempest Mk.V and Spitfire Mk. XIV (griffon, bubble canopy),

(note: to minimize cost and resources it is necessary to choose between Typhoon and Tempest - IMHO for the late war scenario Tempest V is mandatory for allied fighters to counter late war Luftwaffe fighters but Typhoon for other scenarios is not mandatory because there are other allied ground attack planes: Mosquito and P-47.

- AI Ju 88 A-4 would need an upgrade for carrying conventional ordnance (not only torpedos)

- The Channel map would need a little upgrade to meet better the first half of 1944 appearance (and some performance optimization too)

- A new late-war map would be necessary but maybe of the smaller scale than the similar map in the other WWII sim

EDIT: for at least late-war scenario allies should have 150-grade fuel to better match performance against Luftwaffe late-war fighters

Conclusion:

4 new planes and 1 new map should help to make three historically more or less correct scenarios with more or less contemporary & performance even adversaries that should be playable as offline campaigns or as online server scenarios

If we consider following development rate: a map = 3 years, a single-engine a/c = 1 year, then we could be there in 3-4 years (190 F-8 should be done much more easily thanks to existing A- 8 ) :-)

P.S. I do not consider eventual impossibility to create the a/c due to the lack of sources/materials/restored examples - which may of course happen...

My personal opinion:

I would prefer the above-mentioned path of development for the next few years over some shift to early WWII years (e.g. Battle of Britain) or even to the Pacific theatre. Because IMHO it is better to have fewer historically & performance correct scenarios in a relatively complete state than many but not finished scenarios or a single mismatch scenario not ready for reasonable gameplay - I understand DCS as a combat sim and not only as a gallery of independent study level aircrafts. BTW introduction of the new DM undoubtedly confirms that this understanding should be correct :-)

Any comments, critics and opinions welcomed

PLS no flames only constructive discussions, THX

And especially if you agree or if you have a similar view for the future development of DCS WWII please leave a comment to let ED know about the interest among the players. THX

EDIT: P.P.S If I should prioritize the above mentioned new items according to their benefit to actual gameplay, here is my list:

1. Bf 109 G-6 (because it makes A and B scenarios immediately playable)

2. The Channel map optimization

3. 150-grade fuel for allied fighters (because that makes C scenario playable though not on an appropriate map)

4. Tempest Mk. V

5. new late-war map

6. Fw 190 F-8

7. Spitfire Mk. XIV

• Like 10

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Please don't forget 75" Hg for the P-51, which we should already have in the ETO.

• Like 2

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Please don't forget 75" Hg for the P-51, which we should already have in the ETO.

Thanks, 150-grade fuel demand added to the first post.

• Like 1

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Hmm, surely it would be nice to have B-24 AI but honestly, no offence, I do not see the second high alt strategic bomber as something that is really necessary right now for the next DCS development (especially if we consider limited resources of ED for anything new)... But just my point of view...

Anyway thanks for the post Seaside.

I agree with this, at the very least I would like to see a G6 and a G14.

Agree with the OP and echo Krupi's comment.

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

I’d like to see some more AI aircraft to allow us to flesh out the existing maps, eg ME110, HE111 etc

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I agree with this, at the very least I would like to see a G6 and a G14.

This, and 150 grade fuel to allies. These changes alone would make this sim so much better together.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice summary.

Up for Krupi’s and DB 605 comments.

For B) add the 109G-14 (G-6 with MW-50).

For C) add the 109G-10 as it was more common as the K-4 and is very similar to it.

So basically make a new module for three late war 109G models.

-G-6 “late”

-with added MW-50 to make it a G-14

-change the engine to the DB605D (and some more cosmetic details) to make an Mtt G-10 (Frankenstein 3D model from the G and K).

Should cover pretty much everything from late 1943 onwards except for 6/14 AS variants (which could be derived pretty easily from the base G-6/14 variant).

Alternatively, from a commercial perspective, make the G-10 a variant in the K-4 module so people would buy two modules instead of one. Or just sell three different new modules lol.

Thanks to all Luftwaffe fans for contributions.

Though I understand your point of view, I think we all should realize that we can probably get at best (if we are very lucky) only 1 (one !) player-controlled Bf 109 1944 fighter from ED.

So, from a game-play of view, I think the missing most useful Luftwaffe fighter is the one from 1944 and the one reasonably different from existing K-4 (DB 605D w MW50 and 30 mm cannon). That is why we IMHO need Bf 109 with DB605A without MW50 and with 20 mm cannon. So we are talking here about G-6 late variant. We need such a fighter as an even powered machine comparing to allied 1944 fighters with 100/130 grade fuel (P-51D, Spit IXC and P47D) we have now in-game.

G-14 as MW50 variant of G-6 and/or G-6 AS as more supercharged G-6 are of course possible variants of basic G-6 but IMHO they are of secondary importance for us from game-play point of view because they push engine power more towards K-4 we already have. From the same reason, G-10 as a direct "sub-variant" or "predecessor" of K-4 is not very practical or worth of precious developer's time for us now.

• Like 1

True, if there were only one model to be picked as a module the G-6 would make the most sense, as being most versatile and well useful for two out the three scenarios.

But I still think the G-14 can be derived from it and launched like the P-47 (3 different sub variants) was, still offering a distinct enough option from the K-4 (unlike the G-10) and something not completely obsolete against the allied fighters (right now it is just the opposite with the K-4 flying in mid 1944, even without MW-50). More options for mission builders too.

G-10 could wait as it would make sense only from an accuracy stand point, not gameplay, and tbh I don’t think the AS variants are even necessary in the near future.

It would be great if ED would go down the path you laid out.

• Like 2

I agree. Personally, I would be very happy if we have G-6 with few possible subvariants (including G-14). I am just trying to stay on absolute "minimums" we need (and if we miraculously get more, than we all be pleasantly surprised :-) )

Completely agree, you made a very good list and I wouldn't be surprised if ED's plans were more or less in-line. After what you proposed, I would go to Battle of Britain afterwards but fleshing out the current plane set and the 1944 - 1945 setting should be relatively easy and will offer a cohesive experience. The 1943 - 1944 period would be great as well.

Tempest would be difficult for DCS standards as there are no flying examples out there. It is true that neither there are for the K-4 but the K can be extrapolated from G variants.

• Like 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

The same for me Al-Azraq.

As for the Tempest, despite all the known difficulties, I still have my hopes to see its one day in DCS. IMHO this plane would be a fantastic addition to the late war planeset.

It does amuse me when people say... Ah there is no Typhoon/Tempest flying.

No K4 is flying however like Al-Azraq has stated there is G version about. That said we HAVE a Dora... No flying examples of the Dora exist. Yes they received a lot of data from Erich Brunotte I am sure they could do the same for the Typhoon/Tempest.

​​​​​​So I don't buy this reasoning. However if they are really really dead set against doing these aircraft then they have no excuse, in fact in light of the K4 and Dora I would say it is a must, create the Spitfire Mk XIV.

Looking into the future we might be fortunate to have a genuine Typhoon flying again and with a Napier Sabre engine as well....

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Well, maybe Kermit Weeks gives us a real flying Tempest V one day....

Well, maybe Kermit Weeks gives us a real flying Tempest V one day...
IIRC it's a rare version of the Tempest II, almost sort of Sea Fury prototype, he's aiming to re-build.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

It does amuse me when people say... Ah there is no Typhoon/Tempest flying.

No K4 is flying however like Al-Azraq has stated there is G version about. That said we HAVE a Dora... No flying examples of the Dora exist. Yes they received a lot of data from Erich Brunotte I am sure they could do the same for the Typhoon/Tempest.

​​​​​​So I don't buy this reasoning. However if they are really really dead set against doing these aircraft then they have no excuse, in fact in light of the K4 and Dora I would say it is a must, create the Spitfire Mk XIV.

Looking into the future we might be fortunate to have a genuine Typhoon flying again and with a Napier Sabre engine as well....

You are right mate, I didn’t remember that the Dora has no flying example either. I hope that with the data we have and virtual wind tunnel is enough to create a Tempest.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

No flying examples of the Dora exist.

I remember having heard there's a flying replica Dora somewhere, but may well be wrong due to mixing it up with some flying As that certainly do exist.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Not only do i love this idea, but I love all these responses and suggestions as well. This is why I am making the move from IL-2 to this game, Things seem a bit more promising and the community, from what i have seen, has little to no toxicity. I would love a razor back 47, and 51 but i know that is a steep asking price but i think that could also fit in the early 44 match-up. I would also love a "DCS" battle of Brittan scenario. as much as I would also want the pacific, I feel that they have some things set up for the BOB and WTO so far, and its just my opinion that they flesh this side out some more before taking on the pacific, so they can solely focus on that endeavor.