AA Refuelling - left basket only?

Hi all!

I always perform AA refuelling on both KC-130 and KC-135 in my training routine. I always connect to the left basket but today, for a change, I tried connecting to the right basket but I could not plug my probe.

Is the right basket on the tanker only aestethic? :glare:

Thank you!

Isn't this incorrect according to USN/USMC procedure though? Shouldn't lead be on the right, 2 on the left? I would think so, since the post-refuel spot is off the tanker's right wing. Or did I get that mixed up with the USAF procedure?

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @4.7Ghz | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Odyssey Plus | Warthog HOTAS | 20cm Extension

Isn't this incorrect according to USN/USMC procedure though? Shouldn't lead be on the right, 2 on the left? I would think so, since the post-refuel spot is off the tanker's right wing. Or did I get that mixed up with the USAF procedure?

I usually perform the approach\refuelling\post-refuelling as indicated in the Harrier's refuelling training mission which should be what the NAVY does: approach from 1000ft below the tanker altitude on the left, 45° formation, move into position on the left basket, refuel, move into the "parking" position up and left.

The USAF uses the boom and not baskets but I don't know how it is performed throughout.

I fly with wake turbulence setting on and I wanted to try the right wing wingtip vortix effect for a change.

Thank you all for the replies. :thumbup:

I usually perform the approach\refuelling\post-refuelling as indicated in the Harrier's refuelling training mission which should be what the NAVY does: approach from 1000ft below the tanker altitude on the left, 45° formation, move into position on the left basket, refuel, move into the "parking" position up and left.

The USAF uses the boom and not baskets but I don't know how it is performed throughout.

I fly with wake turbulence setting on and I wanted to try the right wing wingtip vortix effect for a change.

Thank you all for the replies. :thumbup:

That's not what the USMC or Navy or NATO does. If both hoses are working, the first aircraft goes to the right and the second one (usually the wingman) goes to the left hose. That's because the overall flow is from left to right. It's pretty annoying that you can't use the real flow in DCS or have to call the tanker in an inverted order.

1175870707_Screenshot2020-11-07105345.png.187da23ea7b6ded1d22479ea374f6922.png

911931302_Screenshot2020-11-07105534.thumb.png.be10aa54844d164b22ed4aa1dde680ce.png

in DCS, then the only way tp practice refueling on the right is to make a mission with a wingman and send him to tank first? Other than doing it online of course?

System specs: Scan 3XS i9 9900K @5ghz, 32GB Corsair veng DDR4 2666, EVGA GTX 2080ti Win 10. Reverb G2 , 50 inch 4K Phillips monitor. Real simulator FSSB R3 with F-16 SGRH grip and warthog with RS F-18 grip, plus Cubesim TM MFD's, Tir5. Winwing F-18 throttle, Tek creations UFC, panels. Cougar throttle & TUSBA, plus ICP for the Viper. MFG crosswind rudders. Jet seat and butt kicker..

VR Settings: 90% (90 & 100 ), motion re projection locked 45 FPS, MSAA x2, shadows off, water med, terrain low, draw distance med, no aniso. DCS PD =1.    15ms GPU frame time & super smooth....looks great too.