Maverick Boresight

amalahama

I do not know how it works in the F-16 but it is possible to boresight AGM-65 also in F-18. Actually this is the default position when you activate it. If you want to to boresight it again just cage it. I'm not sure about your question because the reply is too obvious. So maybe do you mean something else?

Unlike in the F-16 (or A-10C) you can't slave the Mavericks to the TGP in the Hornet.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well when you uncage the maverick it points to the current target point (whose source could be the TGP) with deadly precision, which should only be attained when you boresight it. The process in the viper still applies to the hornet even if the hornet doesn't have the direct handover capability

Well when you uncage the maverick it points to the current target point

Exactly, it points to the designated target, which is a stored loaction in the nav system. It doesn't follow the TGP around as it does in the F-16.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Exactly, it points to the designated target, which is a stored loaction in the nav system. It doesn't follow the TGP around as it does in the F-16.

Yes, but how does the Maverick know where to look exactly at that nav location? The seeker would still be off by an alignment error. Every seeker slightly different, rail + pylon installation error etc etc.

There might not be an alignment/boresighting procedure in the Hornet IRL, but if so, it shouldn't be possible to get a perfect 'handoff' everytime. If there really isn't a boresigting mechanic in the Hornet, then IRL a separate MAV slew was needed every time. Which sounds semi-plausible.

Yes, but how does the Maverick know where to look exactly at that nav location? The seeker would still be off by an alignment error. Every seeker slightly different, rail + pylon installation error etc etc.

There might not be an alignment/boresighting procedure in the Hornet IRL, but if so, it shouldn't be possible to get a perfect 'handoff' everytime. If there really isn't a boresigting mechanic in the Hornet, then IRL a separate MAV slew was needed every time. Which sounds semi-plausible.

I see what you mean, but that would also apply if you fly with Mavericks, but without TGP and just want to point the Mavericks at a designated waypoint.

I don't know how the Hornet makes sure, that the mavs are aligned to the nav system :dunno:

Tornado3 small.jpg

I see what you mean, but that would also apply if you fly with Mavericks, but without TGP and just want to point the Mavericks at a designated waypoint.

I don't know how the Hornet makes sure, that the mavs are aligned to the nav system :dunno:

Yeah it would. Common logic would suggest Mavericks don't magically align with an INS derived point. But of course, we don't know the real procedure atm.

Even in the Viper, the Mavs align with the INS, not the TGP. The TGP just creates and updates the A/G designation and the Mav follows. You can initiate the alignment process by simply designating a point through the HUD TD box.

As for the boresight alignment in the Hornet in DCS, I recall it being mentioned a long time ago and that, at the time, it was "considered that the procedure was done before flight" or something. The same argument goes for all aircraft employing such weapons, such as the A-20C and the AV-8B. I'm guessing they added it in the Viper for completion and because it's featured somewhere else that people are familiar with.

It's a step in the right direction though, that's for sure. I hope we get to see such details implemented in the Hornet and Warthog as well, assuming they're done by the pilot IRL, of course.

• Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, jacobs said:

So... the mav alignment is done by the ground crew IRL? Or is it just not implemented yet?

In AV-8B Harrier the maverick alignment should be done in-flight, with target at least 7000 ft range to eliminate the parallax error. Closer you are, bigger inaccuracy you have. You can't do it for moving target (vehicle or boat alike) but it needs to be stationary one (building or alike).

So considering how it is in Harrier, and in Viper, it should be done in-flight as well for Hornet.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, AvroLanc said:

Yeah it would. Common logic would suggest Mavericks don't magically align with an INS derived point. But of course, we don't know the real procedure atm.

AFAIK the TGP does align automatically with the aircraft INS (they both do sense the movements etc, and TGP calculates its own error away when comparing to aircraft INS), but you need to align Maverick to TGP as it doesn't align itself to the INS. So you need to tell to Maverick that where the TGP is looking at, and then Maverick will calculate the error difference and know where to point when target designation is done.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.