Dilemma - First World Issue

Mr_Burns

I get a bonus at work but have never spent one or even part of one on myself, its always gone on paying off holidays, loans, home reno and so on.

This year I have the opportunity to spend a bit on myself, I will say 5-6k AUD.

I am long overdue a new PC and with this money I could get a top of the range PC and $1000 latest VR. I use the computer every night, not yet in VR and the current PC does what it needs, ie. I could eek it out until the next years bonus or beyond.

The alternative is to buy an e-bike - namely a Sur Ron off road electric mountainbike. I have wanted an off road motocrosser for years since I last had one but they are noisy and as I am not racing so the top end speed is not needed but just riding around the forests I am thinking one of these new e-bikes might be fun, lighter than a crosser but capable of 70kmph and a fast acceleration. I dont ride a bike currently, have a licence and all that, I dont even own a mountain bike although I would like one I cannot be arsed with all the exercise. I think I really should get out more and even though they are electric, still a bit physical throwing them around.

On the other hand, it could just become another fad sitting next to the multi gym, kayak and rc air plane in the Garage I never use. I also do a bit of camping and the e-bike would be awesome to explore the area around the camp, but its only a bit of camping right, maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

I know this has the potential to be a very biased discussion being a flight sim site with top end PC and VR becoming the stairway to heaven but any considerations would be greatly appreciated.

So, have you decided yet what Ryzen are you getting, and if you will wait to 6800xt or 3080 right now? :lol:

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

enjoy the outdoors while you can

there will be time enough to coop yourself up with the tube down the line

That's some excellent advice ! I have lately found my outdoor activity to be severely circumscribed by the effects of ageing . So yeah , enjoy it while you can .

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I get a bonus at work but have never spent one or even part of one on myself, its always gone on paying off holidays, loans, home reno and so on.

This year I have the opportunity to spend a bit on myself, I will say 5-6k AUD.

Sweet Celestia.. if that's all just your bonus, it's massive. I have that amount for fun things in a time frame of like 2-3 years... but before getting into 1.7 here, go ahead and get into VR with a sweet G2 and a 3080 or 6800/6900XT and do yourself some other favour of choice with the rest of it.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hmm this requires introspection, and you can use the so-called "comfort principle": spend money on what you (want to) spend most of your time on.

There are electric dirt bikes these days that are not overly expensive (when compared to more traditional models from Husqvarna, KTM, Beta, ...), such as the Kuberg Freerider.

Personally I'm looking to upgrade my PC next year: DCS and my motorcycle are my 2 major hobbies so that's also what I spend my money on...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 9:28 PM, Chaders said:

Just get a cheep mountain bike and spend the rest on your rig. The mountain bike will help offset the sitting around playing DCS ????

When I got my first road 125 4 stroke dirt bike reviews, I kept feeling like I would endo. I got used to it, and road exclusively road for some years. Last year I bought a new mountain bike and spent the entire summer feeling like it was going to kill me. I had zero confidence in it and myself to handle the trails. It just takes time.

Edited by Jeffery21