What's with all the backup folders in my DCS install directory?

sirrah

Not so much of an issue or problem, but I noticed a few (ahum... 35) backup folders in my main DCS install directory.

Can I just remove these?

(they take up about 2GB of my precious SSD space)

2020_11_05_20_22_03_Window.jpg.7e8ccabbb7280c309872c40b10eb703e.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yes, but keep the latest one. These are the "changes" you did to the original DCS World folder. Either with JSGME/OvGME, or via direct editing of files, or replacing files in DCS manually.

Each time you do an update or repair DCS verifies the files and if they are different from the original ones on the repository it will put the "manipulated ones" into a backup folder and replace them with the original files from the server.

The Backup is in case you need these changes (e.g. config/default.lua with custom bindings, or custom liveries).

In general try to put everything you want to mod under Saved Games/DCS World and NOT change anything directly in the Program Files folder.

• Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yes, but keep the latest one. These are the "changes" you did to the original DCS World folder. Either with JSGME/OvGME, or via direct editing of files, or replacing files in DCS manually.

Each time you do an update or repair DCS verifies the files and if they are different from the original ones on the repository it will put the "manipulated ones" into a backup folder and replace them with the original files from the server.

The Backup is in case you need these changes (e.g. config/default.lua with custom bindings, or custom liveries).

In general try to put everything you want to mod under Saved Games/DCS World and NOT change anything directly in the Program Files folder.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks shagrat! :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I personally “combine” the backups so that I have 1 backup with the most recent stuff. It’s time consuming, but that’s what I do. Most ppl won’t find the need to do that (I tinker and mod the default files a lot and things get “misplaced”, haha).

• 2 months later...

I saw that I had a backup folder offered to me on a recent repair (that went well enough) however, I am a little confused about what you're saying here. Does the fact that my backups are in the Program files directory as opposed to the Saved Games directory mean that I have some mods that I have previously saved in the Program Files directory (I know, I should remember myself right!) I cannot find a backup folder in the saved games directory even though I know that I still have lots of active mods in their following the repair. 

Could someone clarify how this works?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

The repair utility (actually dcs_updater.exe) only works on the program’s folder, it never touches your saved games folder. This means that it will only solve user mod problems caused by those mods that go into the program folder, which are currently a minory. If your trouble is caused by a user mod that goes into saved games, then the repair won’t help to solve the issue.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

The repair utility (actually dcs_updater.exe) only works on the program’s folder, it never touches your saved games folder. This means that it will only solve user mod problems caused by those mods that go into the program folder, which are currently a minory. If your trouble is caused by a user mod that goes into saved games, then the repair won’t help to solve the issue.

That makes it a lot clearer, thanks very much for that, I appreciate it.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• 2 years later...