F16 slightly starts to roll

Hi,

I just discovered during a training mission with TPOD and Mavericks that the f16 slightly starts to roll without any controller input.

If this is the usual behavior when carrying a TPOD than this is totally anoying since you always need to countersteer which is nearly impossible when targeting an enemy with the cursor.

does anyone know if this is a known issue and/or how to solve it?

Yeah, it's a 'known issue' (lol). The pod isn't on the centerline, so it shifts the center of mass to the side and causes asymmetrical drag. Same happens if you drop/launch a weapon from just one side. This is perfectly normal.

The solution is simple: manually trim the airplane. No, there is no way around it. It's aviation 101.

That is not that easy when you are already airborne. Is it possible to do that in the mission edition? Do you know if there is a data describing how much to trim for specific loads?

does the attitude hold function of the auto pilot handles automatically trims?

Trimming your plane in the air should be "second nature" as part of your pilot skills. When I was flying the F-100 in Vietnam (1970), I would be doing single-release drops on every pass. Our typical loadout would be 2 external wing-mounted fuel tanks on the center wing pylons, then 500 to 800-lb bombs/napalm on each of the inboard and outboard wing pylons on either side of the fuel tanks. We would start our drops from the outboard pylons and work our way to the inboard pylons. So, with every single drop I made, my plane became instantly asymmetrical, as I was making a 7G pull off the target and jinking right & left. Trimming off the asymmetrical stick force was pretty much automatic, i.e., without even thinking about it.

• Like 1