AMD 5000 Series CPU Performance in DCS

2 hours ago, Thinder said:

Look at your RAM, you'll need DDR4 3200 Cl16 at least to run your CPU smoothly, just cramming power doesn't always work you need to bound components and then fine tune the whole thing.

From my PoV, your RAM was a bottleneck before but now it's more visible because your CPU is processing way faster than your RAM can handle, this affects the whole system, the higher the percentage of bottleneck the slower the system will go.

Some guys have suggested some reasonably low prices RAM solution, the next thing I'd do in your situation is to upgrade RAM, I don't have a Zen 3 and use a similar GPU to yours and I haven't find DCS more unplayable than before the update, butt my system is ballanced if not super-powerful.

To detail the RAM speed/Latency suggestion it's a bit more complex than making sure both numbers are "at least" matching those.  As an example of what I mean RAM at 3600 CL18 would be just as good as 3200 CL16.   Just a bit more detail for others viewing the thread, but Thinder is correct in that fast RAM is important to not bottleneck your system.  🙂

Edited by StandingCow
  • Like 1

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it's worth, thanks to the Radeon driver software that keeps track of recently played games and their framerates, I know that my system runs DCS in single player campaigns (More specifically:

I did a short sam on vs sam off test in DCS at 1440p if someone is interested: I get no benefit from SAM in DCS. In AC:Valhalla it gives me a nice 10fps boost.  

It does remain stable at 40fps However depending on the settings (talking about the cpu impacting ones) and the situation there may still occur some dips under 40fps. Take the p47 instant action in th

Somehow the problem disappeared. The last thing I did was uncheck VR Enable in the settings, restart DCS, and then re-enable VR.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900X, 32GB DDR4@3600CL16, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti, PB328Q 32" 2560x1440, Samsung EVO 960 1TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, HMD Odyssey+

15 hours ago, StandingCow said:

To detail the RAM speed/Latency suggestion it's a bit more complex than making sure both numbers are "at least" matching those.  As an example of what I mean RAM at 3600 CL18 would be just as good as 3200 CL16.   Just a bit more detail for others viewing the thread, but Thinder is correct in that fast RAM is important to not bottleneck your system.  🙂

Yeah, I'm no rocket scientist... LOL.

9 hours ago, Brainless said:

Somehow the problem disappeared. The last thing I did was uncheck VR Enable in the settings, restart DCS, and then re-enable VR.

Good to know your problem is gone, it was a little of a head scratcher the way you described it, partly due to the out of date specs of your signature.

I had tons of issues since I've got my G2 but none of them are related to it.

Windows updates weren't completed, the last one even messed up the whole VR setting, then the O.S itself for some reason, I had to do a reset, Steam VR proves to be rather mediocre, the headset works a lot better without it running but I guess this will get better with time, the G2 has more potential than the support software let us use so far.

Anyway, I'm waiting for availability of the Ryzen 5 5600X, I can't afford anything more than it but the good news is that I have a brand new Ryzen 5 3600X and Oculus CV1 I can sell to CEX, those are going to ease the financial burden, by more than £202‬.00 (Edited previous figure was for was for the GPU and CV1, sry.), Headset and CPU only, since I can't tell how much they'll pay the for RAM. So, mabybe, just maybie I'll consider the high option starting with a Ryzen 9 5900X or another Ryzen 5 depenging on gaming performances...

Smells like X-Mass.

I'll stick to my plan of fitting my board with 4 X G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 Clk16 sticks to equal the 32 GB I have now, I don't plan to O.C my RAM, the speed is close to optimum and it was top performer in most tests I read or videos I watched, what I will do is to O.C both my GPU and CPU within the guanranteed limits and banzai, I'll do with it, if it's not enough I'll purhace a fatser GPU when I can afford it.

Good thing MSI released updated BIOS for my board, they advised me to watch for further updates because they're constantly working to improve on it.

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX 7B86vHB1(Beta version) BIOS, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 CL14, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS. My G2 is DEAD, I'll get VR again when headsets will be better.

M-2000C. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. MiG-29 "Fulcrum". 

Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes.

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

SimRig: Winter '18/19

Asus Maximus XI Formula | Intel 9900K @ 5.4 GHz Single Core, 5.2 GHz All Core | Nvidia/EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N @ ???? MHz | EKWB Direct Die Custom Liquid Cooling Loop | Gskill 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz | Samsung 512 GB, 1 TB NVMe SSDs | Asus/Seasonic 1200w PSU

Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K | Realsim FSSB | TM Cougar HOTAS | Vipergear IPC | Buddyfox UFC | Saitek Trim Wheel | MFG Crosswinds Rudder Pedals | Playseat Flightseat | Monstertech HOTAS mount | Gametrix Jetseat

On 12/12/2020 at 1:00 AM, Brainless said:

Man, I have the same problem, how did you solve it? 

Edited by nalpagutt

For those living in Britain. My usual provider apparently have stocks of Ryzen 5000 starting from £299.99.

AWD-IT AMD Processors

Reminder: Check your motherboard BIOS compatibility and if you need to update, make it safe, by the book.

Ryzen 3 support for MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max.

Edited by Thinder

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX 7B86vHB1(Beta version) BIOS, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 CL14, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS. My G2 is DEAD, I'll get VR again when headsets will be better.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, nalpagutt said:

Man, I have the same problem, how did you solve it? 

Try disabling VR in the DCS settings, restart DCS, and then re-enable VR in the settings. I still have performance issues (GPU usage is low), but it's better than before.

image.png

p.s.: Update:

Check this thread:

Forcing vsync to fast (from Nvidia control panel), increased my FPS considerably.

Edited by Brainless

Ryzen 5900X, 32GB DDR4@3600CL16, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti, PB328Q 32" 2560x1440, Samsung EVO 960 1TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, HMD Odyssey+

I've ordered a 5900X / 32GB RAM / 3090GTX / 2TB MP600 M.2 4,500/4,500 PCI 4.0 drive.

Looking to get the HP G2 when they are in stock too.

Still undecided between VR and TrackIR with a decent  monitor.

But, the new Ryzens rock. Cannot wait ... though stock still not in yet at my vendor.

My Rig: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 + TH HOTAS Warthog + Nimble Keyboard action for rudder + TrackIR 5

My Ryzen 5 5600X was dispatched today, I should get it tomorrow or Thursday, then I'll run a benchmark to compare with my 3600X...

On 12/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, C3PO said:

I've ordered a 5900X / 32GB RAM / 3090GTX / 2TB MP600 M.2 4,500/4,500 PCI 4.0 drive.

Looking to get the HP G2 when they are in stock too.

Still undecided between VR and TrackIR with a decent  monitor.

But, the new Ryzens rock. Cannot wait ... though stock still not in yet at my vendor.

Be aware of the HP G2 problems with some USB drivers (most on AMD boards).

They can be solved with a PCI USB card though.

(But some MoBos have double USB controllers. I said this for that reason).

• Like 2
On 12/19/2020 at 8:41 AM, Bbow said:

5900X on the way! Let's see what the performance improvements are compared to my 3600. 

It should be above 25% score in Physics, I got nearly 21% with my 5600X, depending on settings, GPU is loaded more or the opposite, it seems to me that the Zen 3 is screaming for bound with another Gen3 (CPU/GPU) and full use of Re-size BAR.

I got this available on my BIOS settings now but I don't think it is enough, you'll need an Rx 6000 GPU and its drivers or the equivalent NVIDIA solution to get the best out of it.

You'll need to see the "Large Memory Range" Setting on the Resources use of your GPU, mine doesn't show, so I'll disable Re-size BAR until I get an Rx 6000 GPU.

El4v-NI8v1l-VXVXRW.jpg

21 hours ago, Leaderface said:

Be aware of the HP G2 problems with some USB drivers (most on AMD boards).

They can be solved with a PCI USB card though.

(But some MoBos have double USB controllers. I said this for that reason).

Yeah, I figured that one, Windows Updates can also rise a mess in your drivers and you loose the G2, Windows Mixed Reality ceases to detect it, best is to re-install your motherboard drivers...

Edited by Thinder

I didn't read every single post in this topic, but has anyone who had a 3600/X/XT and upgraded to a 5600x actually tested DCS yet at 1440p?  It's a no-brainer that anything higher than a 5600x to play games is a waste of cash (look at the benchmarks), but DCS is an old, unoptimized beast and I'm wondering if the bump in clock speed makes any difference. 

I am either going to give my 3600 to my son (I gave him my MSI Carbon B450 board) and get a 5600x (I can pick it up tomorrow at Memory Express), or just have him buy his own 3600.  I only paid $230 CAD ($170 USD) for my 3600 and they are charging $420 CAD for the 5600x, so basically $200 more.  From what I can see the benefit at 1440p is about 3%. 

Anyways, has anyone actually tested it?

• Thanks 1

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Help an idiot out here...

Christmas out the way and time to rebuild my (5 year old!!!) PC.

I don't understand how to decide between an AMD CPU and an Intel CPU

I'm choosing between a 5900X and a 10700K

Benchmarks are ambiguous and are generally for applications/games that make better use of multiple cores, I understand that DCS only uses a single Core so surely a 10700K would be the better choice (higher clock speed/easier overclocking)

However benchmarks for single core performance seems to show that pure clock speed ISN'T the only factor.

So if EVERYTHING else is the same (memory/GPU etc) which would be best for DCS

Airbag_signatur.png

I got my 5600x this week. I play DCS at 4k with a Track IR. I was getting a 90% stable 60fps. However its definitely helped in the odd high load area such as landing at Dubai. I can now push my 2080ti a little more and get a solid 60fps everywhere. 

I don't know about others but mine is stable at an all core 4700mhz @ 1.25 vcore which scores about 645 in CPUz single thread and just over 5100 multi thread. I think the 5600x is a really solid performer for anyone who uses a PC for gaming/simming.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:32 PM, jasonbirder said:

Benchmarks are ambiguous and are generally for applications/games that make better use of multiple cores, I understand that DCS only uses a single Core so surely a 10700K would be the better choice (higher clock speed/easier overclocking)

However benchmarks for single core performance seems to show that pure clock speed ISN'T the only factor.

So if EVERYTHING else is the same (memory/GPU etc) which would be best for DCS

Looking only at frequency is a mistake when comparing different CPUs, except if they are otherwise identical (same manufacturer, same architecture, same cache). Otherwise frequency is not an indication of performance. AMD with Zen3 has more efficient cores, meaning if the 5900X and 10700K run both at 4,0GHz for example, the 5900X will crush the 10700K in single core. This gap is a little bit reduced in the real world because the Intel chip will clock higher, but still the 5900X is the better CPU. Not to mention that the 10700K runs hotter due to a much higher power draw (up to 250W), meaning cooling it is a little bit more difficult.

I do want to point out, as was written here many times, that you don't need a 10 or 12 core CPU to run DCS (if this is what you are looking to do). The game actually uses more than one core, but it is loading one of them much more than the others so in the end, the single core performance is going to be the limiting factor, not the number of cores. A 5600X or 5800X will provide the same performance in DCS than a 5900X, and the slight difference you might see due to different boost frequency settings are not that important when building your own PC, as you might as well see (greater) differences due to your memory choice for example.

6 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

I got my 5600x this week. I play DCS at 4k with a Track IR. I was getting a 90% stable 60fps. However its definitely helped in the odd high load area such as landing at Dubai. I can now push my 2080ti a little more and get a solid 60fps everywhere. 

I don't know about others but mine is stable at an all core 4700mhz @ 1.25 vcore which scores about 645 in CPUz single thread and just over 5100 multi thread. I think the 5600x is a really solid performer for anyone who uses a PC for gaming/simming.

When you talk about all core @4,7GHz, do you mean you locked its frequency? This is actually a very counter-productive thing to do for games that are mostly single-threaded, like DCS, because the 5600X can reach higher clocks on a single core (close to 5,0GHz). So by locking the frequency you lose some potential performance in those cases. You also lose the benefits of a much cooler CPU when not loaded, as CPU frequency automatically goes down when it is not heavily used. Locking the frequency is mostly only useful when doing repetitive workloads like encoding, to make sure that you get a stable CPU performance.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD R5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3000MHz | RTX 2070 SUPER | HP Reverb G2 | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 | Thrustmaster TCWS

When you talk about all core @4,7GHz, do you mean you locked its frequency? This is actually a very counter-productive thing to do for games that are mostly single-threaded, like DCS, because the 5600X can reach higher clocks on a single core (close to 5,0GHz). So by locking the frequency you lose some potential performance in those cases. You also lose the benefits of a much cooler CPU when not loaded, as CPU frequency automatically goes down when it is not heavily used. Locking the frequency is mostly only useful when doing repetitive workloads like encoding, to make sure that you get a stable CPU performance.

Yeah that is what I am experiencing with my 5800x.
Not overclocking it...and only use ryzen master automagic features gives better results as DCS will still run its main thread on a single core at a time...which will clock very close to the 5ghz (4.945 is what I saw as a peak value).
I suspect that raising the PBO limits with a good cooling (I have a 360 AIO) can give even better results

Vincent "Virus" DThe

PC: R9 5900x/RTX2080Ti, 64GB RAM.

Joystick bases: Virpil T-50CM2 with 20cm extension (Center)

Joystick grips: Realsimulator F18

Throttles: Winwing Super Taurus

Hardware: Saitek Combat Rudder, 4x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD, Logitech G13, Winwing Panels

VR: Valve Index 

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5, TrackIr v5

34 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

I suspect that raising the PBO limits with a good cooling (I have a 360 AIO) can give even better results

Indeed, PBO allows "smart" overclocking, basically playing with the boost curve to optimize for your chip, so you can apply a certain voltage offset (negative offset can allow some power consumption reduction) and also push the boost frequencies a little. I suspect this is much more effective for gaming than an all-core overclock, and actually know quite a few people who tried this for previous-gen Ryzen and proved this was the case.

AMD R5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3000MHz | RTX 2070 SUPER | HP Reverb G2 | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 | Thrustmaster TCWS

7 hours ago, Qiou87 said:

Looking only at frequency is a mistake when comparing different CPUs, except if they are otherwise identical (same manufacturer, same architecture, same cache). Otherwise frequency is not an indication of performance. AMD with Zen3 has more efficient cores, meaning if the 5900X and 10700K run both at 4,0GHz for example, the 5900X will crush the 10700K in single core. This gap is a little bit reduced in the real world because the Intel chip will clock higher, but still the 5900X is the better CPU. Not to mention that the 10700K runs hotter due to a much higher power draw (up to 250W), meaning cooling it is a little bit more difficult.

While this thread is about AMD Ryzens and not Intel, seems worth mentioning some confusion there with figures for the i7 10700K...

...I think you meant the i9 10900K, which does reach 250W, though only reaching that with all-core max boost.

It's also worth noting that those are also extrapolated figures, as the all-core max boost (at that wattage) lasts for seconds only. 

So, while technically one can say these Intel processors are hot wattage guzzlers, in real life usage (including gaming) they're not the monsters that people (including tech tubers) make them to be. There's an awful lot of urban myth drama from people that never used one on a daily basis to testify it.

For the i7 10700K temperatures are actually very good, and any decent cooler will do fine, as wattage with gaming will hardly surpass 80W unless you're reaching very high refresh-rates (very unlikely with DCS).

For, example, using a Scythe Fuma2 (air cooler) mine idles at ≤25ºC, and running DCS at 60FPS locked (2D, monitor w/V-Sync@60Hz for smooth and steady framerate), the CPU is "bored" with just two threads and half, and seems to be at ~25W and ~35ºC average in regular scenarios. 

Hardly problematic or difficult. 🙂

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

1934486534_LMtransparentDCSicons_hs_shdw-5_75pc.png.9c8c611c4d38c056af222a2071df6f01.png:pilotfly:
system specs:

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 10700KF (all core OC 5.0GHz) | 32GB DDR4 (3466MHz CL16) | RX 5700XT 8GB (@ 2085/1820) | 256GB(OS) + 500GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | 650W PSU (Seasonic 80+Gold)
32'' 1080P 75Hz (IPS) | M-Audio USB + Samson SR850 |  T16000 stick + X52Pro throttle + TrackHat (w/OpenTrack)

22 minutes ago, LucShep said:

While this thread is about AMD Ryzens and not Intel, seems worth mentioning some confusion there with figures for the i7 10700K.

I think you meant the 10900K, which does reach 250W with all-core max boost.

It's also worth noting that those are also extrapolated figures, as the all-core max boost (at that wattage) lasts for seconds only. 

So, while technically one can say these Intel processors are wattage guzzlers, in real life usage (including gaming) they're not the monsters that people make them to me.

You still need to consider the max power consumption when dimensioning your system, including power supply. As far as I know the max power consumption of Intel chips is 2x the TDP for 60 seconds (PL2), but the 10700K is indeed lower around 200W still, then the chip is limited to the TDP. Of course this is in worst case scenarios, and yes, in a program like DCS that mostly loads one core heavily, with the other cores sitting at 20-50% usage you are very likely not going to see a huge power consumption.

Edited by Qiou87

I changed 3700X to Ryzen 7 5800X. With HP Reverb FPS boost was significant! 28 % higher FPS (30 >> 38)  at the Supercarrier Cold Start – Persian Gulf mission  (test duration 1 min 37 s from beginning)  

I'm so pleased 🤩 

system.jpg + Pixel Density 1.0

Edited by juimo
  • Thanks 1

Hardware:

Asus ROG Strix X-570-F | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | MSI GeForce RTX 2080Ti Ventus | HyperX DDR4-3600 32 GB | Corsair HX850i | Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 | Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 | BenQ LCD BL3201PT | HP Reverb Professional Edition  | Loogitech G700s | Loogitech MX Ergo | Winwing F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar FCC | Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder | SimShaker JetPad |

Software:

Windows 10 Home x64 ver.20H2| SteamVR | VoiceAttack | FPSvr |

Same experience switching from 2600X to 5600X, amazing gains in large missions (45 aircraft in Normandy WWII scenario), low-level. Supercarrier is now smooth instead of jaggy in my Rift S. Extremely pleased with the upgrade!

• Like 1

I have ordered a 5900x since launch but am still waiting. ETA is in 2 weeks. I am currently running a 2600k OC @4.5ghz with a 2080ti and the main issue I face is frame rate dips when I pull up both the Maverick and TGP cams on the MFDs, especially on the A10c II.

May I ask you guys who have already upgraded to the new Ryzen 5000 series how much the frame rate dips are when both MFDs are pulled up? Hopefully the new CPU will address this issue for me as average and peak FPS have been generally ok.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1