AMD 5000 Series CPU Performance in DCS

Yeah guys, it's a big deal, fireworks going off, I'm getting Ryzen 5900X at minimum, and Radeon RX 6800 or XT.

Yes, but motherboard manufacturers have a mind of their own, AMD Ryzen 3 2200G is supported on X570, I have it right here, booting fine to BIOS for now ;)

I ended up taking a whole week 2 weeks ago to figure out if I could get a build going, and I did manage to figure out I could go early and set my system up without actually getting the CPU/GPU/RAM that I want, I'll take a few months setting up Windows and tweaking the heck out of it, installing programs, no need for 1500$ worth of hardware for that.

I'm running a B450 Gaming Plus Max and I will have to wait for the BIOS update but it's good news for me, I had my board for below £90 and it's probably the best I ever had, Including boards twice this price.

Now I'm trying to figure if I can use the HP Reverb G2 without the controllers (with the mouse as when playing DCS), if it is possible I should be able to pre-order it end of this month, then I'll go after replacement for my 1080Ti 11GB and Ryzen 5 3600...

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX 7B86vHB1(Beta version) BIOS, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 CL14, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS. My G2 is DEAD, I'll get VR again when headsets will be better.

M-2000C. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. MiG-29 "Fulcrum". 

Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it's worth, thanks to the Radeon driver software that keeps track of recently played games and their framerates, I know that my system runs DCS in single player campaigns (More specifically:

I did a short sam on vs sam off test in DCS at 1440p if someone is interested: I get no benefit from SAM in DCS. In AC:Valhalla it gives me a nice 10fps boost.  

It does remain stable at 40fps However depending on the settings (talking about the cpu impacting ones) and the situation there may still occur some dips under 40fps. Take the p47 instant action in th

I really wait DCS benchmark between 5600X vs 5800X, wan't to know is 5800X worth it.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X * RTX 3080 TUF OC * G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz * 2 x 256Gb M.2 * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle

Not sure either of those huge corporations need you to be their fanboy. They make enough profit, so if their competitor makes a better product, might as well give it a try. I see that's what you are doing.:thumbup:

3070's problem is Vram, 8GB is quite limiting for DCS.

Well considering I have a 1070 driving triple 27"ers....a 3070 will be a step up! haha

I think all the excitement about 'AMD faster than intel' is misguided. VR is gpu bound. 4k is gpu bound. 1440 p is only slightly affected by cpu. In most benchmarks, a 3600x amd part gets the same frames as a 10900k at 4k. I can't speak to latency as intel has the better memory controller compared to zen2 tho zen3 has a larger unified cache. Again, these differences only are evident at lower resolutions. The elephant in the room is that no motherboard manufacturer has fixed their bios for zen3 yet. Memory incompatibilities and instability are showing up all over the place (check oc.net and reddit) Those reviewers are getting select private beta bioses and cherry picked silicon.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

R5 5600X has beat I9 9900K overclocked to 5GHz......AMAZING!

This is a pretty big result. People are saying that it won't matter for VR as you will be GPU bound. I wonder how that will work with the new 6800XT or RTX3080 and higher cards....

I've yet to see a 5900x review that has focused on vr, minimum frames, frametimes and missed/dropped frames. I assume CPU overhead will give some indications on vr performance, but I believe there is more to it.

There is not much difference in benchmarks in 4k gaming it seems. I'm using the pimax 8kx and have tuned dcs to fairly decent settings with more or less stable 75 FPS (not tried multiplayer or heavy missions) pushing 2592x2644 supersampling in steamvr. That is with a rtx 3090 and 8700k at 4.9 GHz. Shadows is a killer and I currently have them off. Also smoke and impact smoke kills FPS.

I'm not sure how to interpret the benchmark for my use case. Also as I have so many usb devices an upgrade would mean an expensive motherboard and the am4 socket being on its last leg......it's hard to know what to do.

What resolution is that? Care to post a 4k or VR comparison?

He used 720p, a bit extreme, but valid for comparing CPUs

Rising the resolution will spoil the test if what you want is to compare CPUs.

That is the reason why all the benchmarks all done in 1080p...and if you notice they test also 1440p and 4k and there the FPS between the processors are more levelled.

For the DCS the best way to compare CPU is to have a mission full of AI (with moving ground units), triggers and scripting...with a non complex scene to draw for the GPU (like over the sea for example)...that way the bottleneck will be the CPU and you will see the differences between the processors.

If you want to test GPU then you need to do the opposite..for example in DCS and empty mission (with no AI units or triggers) over the most complex possible scene (Dubai or Damascus for example)

Vincent "Virus" DThe

PC: R9 5900x/RTX2080Ti, 64GB RAM.

Joystick bases: Virpil T-50CM2 with 20cm extension (Center)

Joystick grips: Realsimulator F18

Throttles: Winwing Super Taurus

Hardware: Saitek Combat Rudder, 4x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD, Logitech G13, Winwing Panels

VR: Valve Index 

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5, TrackIr v5

Never said X570 doesn't support Ryzen 5000. However Ryzen 5000 support is introduced with AGESA 1.0.8.0 which was only available in August/September. So an older X570 does not have this AGESA in its UEFI/BIOS and cannot boot with a Ryzen 5000. Actually you need AGESA 1.1.0.0 to take full advantage of Ryzen 5000, according to AMD themselves, and this one is only available since November. But you can boot with an older UEFI featuring 1.0.8.0 then make the update. Just take a look at your motherboards' UEFI download list, AGESA updates are clearly listed when made available through a UEFI update.

Here's an article explaining all of that.

Is there anyway for me to tell what bios version i have? Its a new msi tomahawk x570 and i have no cpu for it yet so cant boot it

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Is there anyway for me to tell what bios version i have? Its a new msi tomahawk x570 and i have no cpu for it yet so cant boot it

Ask MSI support, they will tell you from your serial number.

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX 7B86vHB1(Beta version) BIOS, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 CL14, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS. My G2 is DEAD, I'll get VR again when headsets will be better.

I think all the excitement about 'AMD faster than intel' is misguided. VR is gpu bound. 4k is gpu bound. 1440 p is only slightly affected by cpu. In most benchmarks, a 3600x amd part gets the same frames as a 10900k at 4k. I can't speak to latency as intel has the better memory controller compared to zen2 tho zen3 has a larger unified cache. Again, these differences only are evident at lower resolutions. The elephant in the room is that no motherboard manufacturer has fixed their bios for zen3 yet. Memory incompatibilities and instability are showing up all over the place (check oc.net and reddit) Those reviewers are getting select private beta bioses and cherry picked silicon.

That is true for most VR, however everything I have seen for flight sims specifically, shows that we are seriously CPU bound as well, especially when high view ranges/high plot count scenes are active, and this appears to hold across all flight simulators, not just DCS. I haven't taken DCS numbers, but I know in at least two other major flight simulators, Zen 2 CPUs trail Intel parts by 10-20%, for the same video card. That appears to have changed with Zen 3, but given it is a niche market with no functional bench marking tools, testing has been limited at best :/

• Like 1

That is true for most VR, however everything I have seen for flight sims specifically, shows that we are seriously CPU bound as well, especially when high view ranges/high plot count scenes are active, and this appears to hold across all flight simulators, not just DCS. I haven't taken DCS numbers, but I know in at least two other major flight simulators, Zen 2 CPUs trail Intel parts by 10-20%, for the same video card. That appears to have changed with Zen 3, but given it is a niche market with no functional bench marking tools, testing has been limited at best :/

Well niche or not, it's where I am now, so I welcome AMD performances and price. Btw I was confirmed that one can access the new HP Reverb G2 menus with a mouse, so This month I can order mine without controllers, it will save me £120 that I will be able into an extra 32GB of RAM.

For the GPU, I'll wait for two things, a good comparative between manufacturers, cost to go down a little, so that's not going to happen before a few month, for time being, I'll be pushing my Ryzen 5 3600X and 1080TI 11GB, I;ll run bench testing using the G2 at the highest playable settings possible then look at where my system needs improvements.

I just built my new 5950X PC and paired it with a EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra...I am installing DCS right now and will do some testing. I did run Firestrike which is a great indicator of DCS performance being DX11 and pretty well in line. I got a score of 40,399(without doing any OC on the RAM or CPU yet) which is over a 30% increase over my 8700K @ 4.9ghz with 64GB of Ram and a EVGA 2080Ti... I think this PC will be a huge improvement in DCS...

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Aorus X570 Master | 64GB G Skill Trident Z Royal | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra| Samsung EVO Plus 2 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | HP Reverb G2

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I just built my new 5950X PC and paired it with a EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra...I am installing DCS right now and will do some testing. I did run Firestrike which is a great indicator of DCS performance being DX11 and pretty well in line. I got a score of 40,399(without doing any OC on the RAM or CPU yet) which is over a 30% increase over my 8700K @ 4.9ghz with 64GB of Ram and a EVGA 2080Ti... I think this PC will be a huge improvement in DCS...

Nice kit.

Was the upcoming 6900XT in consideration or had you already commit to the 3090 and stuck with it?

I hadn't committed yet when they announced the 6900XT. With DCS so unoptomised I wanted every but of Horsepower I could get and that extra VRAM I think makes a difference. Especially in VR where I want to absolutely run the doors of my opcoming G2.

I'll post some benchmarks we ran amongst a group of friends with 8700K, 9900K, 5900X, and 5950X with 3080, and 3090...the 5950X absolutely made a huge difference in DX11 testing over all of them including smashing the 5900X in Firestrike by 4,000 points and that's still without me overclocking

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Aorus X570 Master | 64GB G Skill Trident Z Royal | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra| Samsung EVO Plus 2 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | HP Reverb G2

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Re: 6900XT vs 3090/3080 I am still waffling. Budget says 6900XT but I wonder about performance given NV is the goto for developers and NV gets more optimisation in spite of trying to write generic code. ED is good at keeping clear of proprietary technologies but...

Those charts are interesting. Looking forward to hearing your "gut" on responsiveness and frames. Do you have MSFS2020? AFAICT its the only benchmark that scales similarly to DCS in terms of frames.

@Greekbull we're eagerly waiting for your findings! :)

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9GHz | 32GB DDR4-3200 | RTX 2070S | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter + Saitek X52 Pro Throttle + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier

I upgraded from at AMD 2600x to a AMD 5600x with a GTX 1080ti watercooled from my brother. Since i sold my 2080ti and cant get a hold of a new one atm.

My brother has a AMD 3600 with earlier mentioned 1080ti and uses a Pimax 8KX, which is of curse really demanding.

With low settings we could get 40isch frames out of the setup. Thats pretty much the same he gets on his system.

BUT! the frametimes have to be way better - it feels unbelievable smooth and neither of us would have guessed that its just 40isch frames per second.

In general i can tell the system boots way faster and feels more responsive - didnt install a fresh windows.

Thats the same a friend of mine found when he also switched to a 5600x. So i can absolutely recommend the new AMD´s.

And its really easy to get them to 4.9-5Ghz boost clock, which should help DCS a lot.

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

I upgraded from at AMD 2600x to a AMD 5600x with a GTX 1080ti watercooled from my brother. Since i sold my 2080ti and cant get a hold of a new one atm.

My brother has a AMD 3600 with earlier mentioned 1080ti and uses a Pimax 8KX, which is of curse really demanding.

Congrats on the 2600x to 5600x upgrade - time to update your signature - if you want...

- I need to figure out a way to sneak in an upgrade to a 5600x or 5800x during the holidays, but it is impossible with my wife needing to work from home all the time! LoL.

• Haha 1

Master of None: | A-10C | P-51D | FC3 | F-86F | Ka-50 | SA342 | F-5E | UH-1H | F/A-18C | Supercarrier | F-14 | Christen Eagle II |F-16C | M-2000C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | MiG-19 | MiG-21 | I-16 | P-47D | C-101 | A-10C II | MiG-15 | L-39 | Spitfire | Mi-8MTV2 | Yak-52 | >> i5-3570k 32GB - Vega56 - X56 - TrackIR 5 <<

whats the difference between frame times and fps? i thought they were the same thing!

Theoretically you could have 50 frames per second and get 50 frames in the first half of the second and none in the second half of the second.

you would recognise it as studdering. Thats not excactly what happens in real life but gives you an idea. Frametime is the time between the frames, it doesnt have to be consistent.

Thats a major reason why Crossfire or SLI where canceled by the manufacturers.

• Like 1

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Congrats on the 2600x to 5600x upgrade - time to update your signature - if you want...

- I need to figure out a way to sneak in an upgrade to a 5600x or 5800x during the holidays, but it is impossible with my wife needing to work from home all the time! LoL.

For some reason with the new design i cant see any sigantures nor can i find the setting for it. The 5800x is not really worth it for what it costs. just my two cents.

For some reason, with the new design, i cant see any sigantures nor can i find the setting for it. The 5800x is not really worth it for what it costs. just my two cents.

This Forums online help has this: How do I edit my Signature?.

I agree that 5800x is totally not worth it.. I hope there will be a bundle deal or a better discount in 2 or 3 months. Cheers

• Like 1

Master of None: | A-10C | P-51D | FC3 | F-86F | Ka-50 | SA342 | F-5E | UH-1H | F/A-18C | Supercarrier | F-14 | Christen Eagle II |F-16C | M-2000C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | MiG-19 | MiG-21 | I-16 | P-47D | C-101 | A-10C II | MiG-15 | L-39 | Spitfire | Mi-8MTV2 | Yak-52 | >> i5-3570k 32GB - Vega56 - X56 - TrackIR 5 <<

For some reason with the new design i cant see any sigantures nor can i find the setting for it. The 5800x is not really worth it for what it costs. just my two cents.

Go to your account page . About half-way down is "show signature" checkbox . Tick that to see all signatures , including your own .

• Like 1

9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"