GBU laser by hornet "buddy lasing"

-Scrat-

Hi,

I am trying to use GBU guided by laser by a friend who is in the Hornet. We have the same laser code. I have used the computed target and defined a zone next to the target. However, when I drop the GBU, it does not reach its target.

Any idea why? Any tip would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help

If it's finding the laser but not reaching the target the problem is most likely you're dropping it from too far away or from too close in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I would say the GBU is not finding the laser. The GBU ends up near the target, more or less where the designator diamond is.

Its very important to position yourself in relation to buddy lasing aircraft. If it is painting side of tank and you coming from opposite direction than obviously bomb would have very hard time tracking laser as its obscured by tank itself. In my personal experience its best to inbound from same direction as lasing aircraft. Secondly I suggest dropping slightly short (0,5 - 1 nm undershoot ) than dead on target. Bomb is capable of gliding so it can glide itself to target, while if u overshoot then it will not see it in its FOV and it will go dumb. Finally, make sure that fusing is set to tail (Nose/tail in f14). Tail fuse is a must for GBUs on F14

Also make sure that you have set your BOMB LASER CODE to the same code of the Hornet's TGP LASER CODE.

In the F-14 you have to set the BOMB CODE either in the mission editor or in the kneeboard while sitting on the ground with engines off.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Its very important to position yourself in relation to buddy lasing aircraft. If it is painting side of tank and you coming from opposite direction than obviously bomb would have very hard time tracking laser as its obscured by tank itself. In my personal experience its best to inbound from same direction as lasing aircraft. Secondly I suggest dropping slightly short (0,5 - 1 nm undershoot ) than dead on target. Bomb is capable of gliding so it can glide itself to target, while if u overshoot then it will not see it in its FOV and it will go dumb. Finally, make sure that fusing is set to tail (Nose/tail in f14). Tail fuse is a must for GBUs on F14

We tried, but we still have the same outcome :(

Also make sure that you have set your BOMB LASER CODE to the same code of the Hornet's TGP LASER CODE.

In the F-14 you have to set the BOMB CODE either in the mission editor or in the kneeboard while sitting on the ground with engines off.

Yes we have the same code 1688 (default)

Which leads me to a question I’ve had for a while. They extensively talked about buddy lasing in the book Black Aces High. And while reading I wondered how did the dropping aircraft know when to release? Since they don’t have anything designated they won’t get any release cues. Do they just eye ball it? Same with the hornet, or any aircraft that is dropping buddy lased bombs.

Which leads me to a question I’ve had for a while. They extensively talked about buddy lasing in the book Black Aces High. And while reading I wondered how did the dropping aircraft know when to release? Since they don’t have anything designated they won’t get any release cues. Do they just eye ball it? Same with the hornet, or any aircraft that is dropping buddy lased bombs.

With other aircraft, with other targeting pods, the pods have a Laser Spot Track function, which will search for lasers with a particular pulse code within the seeker's FOV, and this can be used to designate a point for weapon release. I don't think LANTIRN in the F-14 has this functionality (it's just FLIR with an LTD/R)

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The 24's have been guiding since a couple of patches ago. That is of course providing a more recent patch hasn't broken them since I last played with them.

I wonder if they're using the Paveway II bang-bang guidance though? As far as I know Paveway III (like the GBU-24, 27 and 28) are much more sophisticated and use proportional navigation, both enabling greater precision and a longer range.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm pretty sure they do have a target designation, just not through a pod. They get talked onto the target by their buddy that has eyes on the target and then designate the target through the HUD in Computer Target mode for CCRP delivery.

Or maybe they just even drop them in CCIP mode onto the position that they got talked on.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Total guess but the "blind" plane probably would still vaguely know the target area.

as he closed in on that area, hed probably be on the radio and hear the target was being lased. His rio would probably tell him to release by distance.

equally likely is that the lazing plane would also have a viz on the dropping plane and just do a pickle on radio cmd

Currently in DCS, I just drop bomb in general area while laser is on is on buddy plane all the time or on pickle (latched). No guiding cues or anything. Talk where target is, is crucial between lasing and dropping aircraft. It is hard and bomb is not always finding its mark but it works. I was buddy lasing for F-5Es on Cold War server, so if done correctly it works.