F-15C Training Missions!

N22YF

Thanks @draconus, very smooth... I think I get it now having watched that so thanks for sharing. It's like the HUD is adjusting itself for the wind. I was thinking I needed to adjust and was using my rudder to try and keep the cross and velocity indicator in the middle of the HUD (and totally losing it), whereas you are leaving them off to the side and just making sure they are lined up. I will have another go once I get chance.

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

19 minutes ago, chumpeagle said:

Thanks @draconus, very smooth... I think I get it now having watched that so thanks for sharing. It's like the HUD is adjusting itself for the wind. I was thinking I needed to adjust and was using my rudder to try and keep the cross and velocity indicator in the middle of the HUD (and totally losing it), whereas you are leaving them off to the side and just making sure they are lined up. I will have another go once I get chance.

By all means it's not perfect and I indeed fly in a forward slip. I don't know if jet fighter pilots would coordinate in this descent - probably yes - neglect on my part. The wind at higher altitude is considerable but near the ground is not at all that bad - so no need for crab. You'll notice me checking the HSI from time to time just to make sure I'm on the right path.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hey thanks for sharing, I've had the F-15c since I started but never gave it a chance but now I'm interested. Is it possible to add a wingman to fly and training too? 

Thank You !!!

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 2/15/2021 at 7:52 AM, chumpeagle said:

What would be really cool is if you were able to film yourself doing the cross wind landing one successfully so we can see how it's done. I have tried it about 10 times and either slam into the mountain or realise I have flown miles wide of the runway.  I can't try it again as I'm going to throw my joystick through the monitor!  Would love to see how it is done properly.

Here you are! Not a perfect flight by any means, but reasonable enough: 

• Thanks 2

On 2/16/2021 at 6:18 AM, chumpeagle said:

I was thinking I needed to adjust and was using my rudder to try and keep the cross and velocity indicator in the middle of the HUD (and totally losing it), whereas you are leaving them off to the side and just making sure they are lined up. I will have another go once I get chance.

Hm, I meant to imply that you should "leave them off to the side" by these instructions:

There is a crosswind tonight, so you will want to "crab" during your final approach. This means you will let the noise point into the wind, so you will end up approaching the runway flying slightly sideways.

I will revise these instructions to make them more clear in the next update!

Edited by N22YF
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:07 AM, Burt said:

Is it possible to add a wingman to fly and training too? 

What do you mean? Are you asking about an online multiplayer version for two players at once? If so, I don't think the format of these lessons would lend itself well to that sort of thing, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, N22YF said:

What do you mean? Are you asking about an online multiplayer version for two players at once? If so, I don't think the format of these lessons would lend itself well to that sort of thing, unfortunately.

plus the cockpit triggers are not multiplayer capable, that’s why no DCS aircraft has multiplayer training missions.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well I was thinking of hosting some of your missions and fly with a friend...2 Eagles. But I understand and no biggie. I downloaded it yesterday and it was really helpful, great job and thx again.

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Thanks everyone, I have finally managed to do that one now thanks to the tips, recordings and videos. Now I just need to defeat the practice mission and do the air to air refueling. I think that is going to be much easier now I have worked out the autopilot.

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

On 11/4/2020 at 1:45 AM, N22YF said:

(Also, is there any interest in A-10A training missions? If so, I might look into taking that on as well - a lot of these would be easy to redo for the A-10A.)

YES PLEASE!

These FC3 aircraft are light on systems, but are perfect for teaching fundamentals.  This would be perfect training for anyone new getting to DCS - the F15 for basic A-A, and the A10a for basic A-G.  Nice job!

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, Windsortheater said:

YES PLEASE!

These FC3 aircraft are light on systems, but are perfect for teaching fundamentals.  This would be perfect training for anyone new getting to DCS - the F15 for basic A-A, and the A10a for basic A-G.  Nice job!

Haha, that offer was made a while ago but I would second the request. I've been trying to find some A-10A missions to start learning that one. I just don't have the time to learn the more advanced planes at the moment so planning to use FC3 planes for a while (even though I bought the F/A-18C when it was in the sale).  I'm loving the F-15C but going to try the A-10A to see if I prefer ground attack or A2A to then decide which plane I invest my time in from the more advanced ones. Therefore if anyone knows of any A-10A training missions I'd love to hear about it.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Windsortheater said:

These FC3 aircraft are light on systems, but are perfect for teaching fundamentals.  This would be perfect training for anyone new getting to DCS - the F15 for basic A-A, and the A10a for basic A-G.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:51 AM, chumpeagle said:

Haha, that offer was made a while ago but I would second the request.

It was made a few months ago, but I'm still listening to feedback - thanks for responding! 🙂 I think I will do a set of A-10A training missions, but I probably won't have them done until later in the year.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:51 AM, chumpeagle said:

I'm loving the F-15C but going to try the A-10A to see if I prefer ground attack or A2A to then decide which plane I invest my time in from the more advanced ones. Therefore if anyone knows of any A-10A training missions I'd love to hear about it.

I've never heard of any A-10A training missions (which is why I'm thinking about making some), but if you want to try out A2G, there are always the official training missions for the Su-25T, and the A2G aspects of the Su-27!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, draconus said:

I'm missing first subtitle on #8 - RWR and CMs.

Thanks so much for letting me know! It appears the incorporation of the Spanish translations provided graciously by @andrey1989 somehow broke that 🤔 I've rolled back to the English-only version for the time being until I can figure out why that's happening.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:38 AM, N22YF said:

I've never heard of any A-10A training missions (which is why I'm thinking about making some), but if you want to try out A2G, there are always the official training missions for the Su-25T, and the A2G aspects of the Su-27!

But they don't have the A-10 cannon. Brrrrrrr. 🤪

• Like 2

Awesome. Unfortunately I have discovered I can't get my old Microsoft Force Feedback joystick working with the A-10A. So far I have used it no problems with the SU-25, the F-15 and also the F/A-18 but as soon as I try to use it with the A-10A the force feedback pulls it off to one side and makes it unusable despite any tweaks to force feedback axis and settings. Very odd. Above lessons look great though and maybe I will figure out some way to get my joystick working to use them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, pantheruler said:

Hello. It seems I can't complete mission 9. I can dodge a couple missiles launched at me, but I eventually get overwhelmed. What I've tried so far is losing altitude to perhaps avoid some locks, or adjust course to avoid the SAMs altogether.

Hello! Are you following all the instructions in the mission briefing? Particularly: "If you encounter any ground or air threats, modify your route to completely avoid them, since you will be unarmed." (If the mission briefing does not include these instructions, then you are using an older version of these missions, and I recommend updating to the current version.)

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, N22YF said:

Hello! Are you following all the instructions in the mission briefing? Particularly: "If you encounter any ground or air threats, modify your route to completely avoid them, since you will be unarmed." (If the mission briefing does not include these instructions, then you are using an older version of these missions, and I recommend updating to the current version.)

Thanks for you reply. I tried modifying the route but I guess it wasn't enough. I'll give another go. Also thank you for these missions. I'm completely new and it sure helped me learn a ton of stuff

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pantheruler said:

Thanks for you reply. I tried modifying the route but I guess it wasn't enough. I'll give another go. Also thank you for these missions. I'm completely new and it sure helped me learn a ton of stuff

Glad to hear these were helpful! Please let me know how giving it another go works out - I may look into further revising this mission if the correct approach is too unclear.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling to complete mission 7, because with the new cloud system it's pretty much a complete blind landing.

I have the same problem with the Huey solo landing training mission.

It looks not like the video posted by you on February 21.

Could you look into that problem?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krazuul said:

I'm struggling to complete mission 7, because with the new cloud system it's pretty much a complete blind landing.

I have the same problem with the Huey solo landing training mission.

It looks not like the video posted by you on February 21.

Could you look into that problem?

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! The missions are designed for the stable release (2.5.6 at the moment) and I have not fully tested them on 2.7 yet. I'll look into that problem this weekend and see if I can find a good solution!

• Like 1