F-15C Training Missions!

N22YF

20 minutes ago, bebop1200 said:

Downloaded this today.  Only thing is I have no sound.  

It has voiceovers, make sure that the Helmet Volume is not set too low, I set it near 80% and reduced the in-cockpit and world levels,  to hear the instructor more clearly.

tFkSOHD.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for everyone's great feedback! I have released v1.1 with some minor updates. The biggest change is that I added written notes for the material covered in the lessons which is not in the DCS F-15C manual, for easier reference: http://dcs.alexstoll.com/F-15C

Here is the changelog for v1.1:

• Mission 1 (Introduction and Basic Controls): added info for changing HUD brightness and color
  • Mission 3B (Cold Start, Taxi, and Takeoff (Advanced)): corrected explanation of the "Climb 300" ATC instructions
  • Mission 4 (Navigation, Autopilot, and Fuel Management): adjusted AI F-15s to hopefully avoid collisions, and removed note about autopilot caution lights (which function incorrectly and are better off ignored)
  • Mission 6 (Instrument Landing System): added approach diagram and clarified where to park
  • Mission 7 (Instrument Landing Challenge): revised name and description to emphasize the optional nature of this lesson
  • Mission 9 (Deployment): revised briefing text to clarify mission intent, and added a warning from your wingman if you fly too close to Turkey
  • Mission 13 (Intercept): revised briefing text, and moved start location for a slower pace
  • Mission 14 (Close Combat Radar and Missiles): changed "RTR" to "Rtr," and "press" to "hold" for the weapons release command
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Loved your supplementary notes, really excellent 👍 saved them, to use if I ever return to the Eagle.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

2 hours ago, N22YF said:

Thanks again for everyone's great feedback! I have released v1.1 with some minor updates. The biggest change is that I added written notes for the material covered in the lessons which is not in the DCS F-15C manual, for easier reference: http://dcs.alexstoll.com/F-15C

What a great job you've done for the Eagle community! Really appreciated even when I don't use it myself - I wish I had it back in 2017 🙂

btw: K is key hold for the kneeboard. Rshift+K is a toggle kneeboard on/off. Rctrl+K is mark current position on the kneeboard map cheat 🙂

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

What a great job you've done for the Eagle community! Really appreciated even when I don't use it myself - I wish I had it back in 2017 🙂

btw: K is key hold for the kneeboard. Rshift+K is a toggle kneeboard on/off. Rctrl+K is mark current position on the kneeboard map cheat 🙂

Thank you! 🙂

In the interest of not over-inundating new pilots with information, my thought was to mention just the K, [, and ] kneeboard commands, but now that you mention it, since it's not in the manual anywhere, it might be worthwhile to mention here 🤔 I'll update the supplementary notes!

I’m newer than a noob *if that’s even possible*lol.  I’ve only completed the first three missions. Some of the stuff I had to learn the hard way. I was googling how to use the HUD. I somehow found this.  It’s amazing I love it, I feel like a pro.  Thank you so much. I even take notes on my phone to help me remember settings. I only wish I had known about this sooner. 

38 minutes ago, baldeagle611 said:

Doesn’t work. Says the mission is newer than the editor or something like that. Is it because I’ve only got v1.5.8?

Yes, Missions edited on newer versions of DCS can not be used on older versions, most likely because the trigger language used on the Editor has expanded on recent years.

1 minute ago, baldeagle611 said:

Damn. Are there any that work on my version out there?

yes, older missions should work. Still, you need to start planning an update of your PC, so that you can use the latest version of DCS ... the new clouds are just around the corner 🙂

52 minutes ago, baldeagle611 said:

I don't think there's enough HD space. 

That's why you need to start planning for an update of your PC.

Great job on this mission pack. Well done, good sir. I've been wanting to re-learn the F-15 for a few reasons...mod or two coming out using it, plus it's my favorite crate of all that I would buy instantly if ED ever made in full fidelity.

Outstanding work. 🙂

• Like 1

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

On 11/4/2020 at 1:45 AM, N22YF said:

I regularly see people asking about whether F-15 training missions exist, so I figured, why not make some? These missions are aimed towards players who are new to DCS and fairly new to flight sims in general, and so attempt to strike a difficult balance between accessibility (avoiding information overload) and covering everything important. However, I also recommend these to anyone interested in becoming more proficient in the F-15 (I learned a lot myself through putting them together). They're generally intended as a supplement to the DCS F-15C manual, but I also go over some aspects that are undocumented (i.e., not in the manual), such as the glide slope deviation scale, air-to-air refueling, and setting the bingo fuel index.

The missions can be downloaded from the User Files section: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313014

The missions are:

1. Introduction and basic controls

2. Angle of attack and Gs

3A. Cold start, taxi, and takeoff (just the basics)

3B. Cold start, taxi, and takeoff (advanced)

4. Navigation, autopilot, and fuel management

5. Visual landing

6. Instrument landing system

7. Instrument landing

8. RWR and countermeasures

9. [Practice mission for lessons 1-8]

10. Beyond visual range radar modes

11. Beyond visual range missiles

12. Basic BVR tactics

13. [Practice mission for lessons 10-12]

14. Close combat radar and missiles

15. Aerial gunnery

16. Air-to-air refueling

To install, place the whole folder "F-15C Training (by N22YF)" into your Saved Games missions folder, which is typically in a location such as

C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Missions\

or

C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Missions\

Then, the "F-15C Training (by N22YF)" folder will show up in DCS when you click on "Mission" (not "Training") and then “My Missions”.

Subscribe to this thread to be notified about updates/bug fixes!

If you try these out, please let me know if you have any feedback, suggestions, or bug reports! You can reply to this thread or send me a private message. Would be great to hear thoughts from both newbies and experts. I'd love to hear from y'all about:

• Did anything not work?
  • Was anything hard to follow, or could be explained in a better way?
  • Did I make any mistakes or typos?
  • Is there anything I left out that I shouldn't have (or anything I should have left out)?

Some example images:

F-15C training missions.jpg

Close Combat Radar and Missiles.jpg

Visual landing briefing.jpg

Visual landing.jpg

Air-to-Air Refueling.jpgHope these are useful!

(Also, is there any interest in A-10A training missions? If so, I might look into taking that on as well - a lot of these would be easy to redo for the A-10A.)

Thanks for the hard work on this, I'm new to DCS (long time FS2001 fan) rediscovered flight sim a few weeks ago. this week end an I have read the whole F-15 manual making a resume of it for myself. You're training was for me the fun part after a long reading. I've went over the first 6 training and couldn't stop (really well made). I would appreciate if you could point to me where I could find information about setting flags ( in relation ) to adding helper gates. Thanks again for doing this for new user like me.

• Like 1

Newbie needs help in mission 9. I've tried many different way turn left at waypoint 1, turn right, but when I get to it nav doesn't change to waypoint 2. Even if I try to change it manually it doesn't go. I know i can still follow with the map (F10) and get there anyway, but just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:13 AM, Maverick0106 said:

Thanks for the hard work on this, I'm new to DCS (long time FS2001 fan) rediscovered flight sim a few weeks ago. this week end an I have read the whole F-15 manual making a resume of it for myself. You're training was for me the fun part after a long reading. I've went over the first 6 training and couldn't stop (really well made). I would appreciate if you could point to me where I could find information about setting flags ( in relation ) to adding helper gates. Thanks again for doing this for new user like me.

Thank you - glad you found them helpful! Yeah unfortunately the helper gate functionality isn't fully documented: when you use the "show helper gates for unit" action and the player flies through a gate, the value of the flag you specify will set to the waypoint number of that gate. (For example, if you choose flag 5, then when the player flies through the gate at waypoint 1, flag 5 will set to the value of 1.)

53 minutes ago, Maverick0106 said:

Newbie needs help in mission 9. I've tried many different way turn left at waypoint 1, turn right, but when I get to it nav doesn't change to waypoint 2. Even if I try to change it manually it doesn't go. I know i can still follow with the map (F10) and get there anyway, but just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Hello! Did you remember to press [1] to activate the navigation mode? Otherwise, I'm not sure what might be the problem - can you upload a video?

20 hours ago, N22YF said:

Hello! Did you remember to press [1] to activate the navigation mode? Otherwise, I'm not sure what might be the problem - can you upload a video?

Hi N22YF, Thank You that was exactly my problem. I taught that the nav mode was active because the HUD showed Nav 0 and so on, but it wasn't. Another fin mission to do, next one now. 

@N22YFI'm loving these, thank you so much for making them. I am new to DCS to they are proving very useful.  Like a few others I have got stuck on the things that are actually hard to do 🙂 like the landing in the rain and cross winds, and the first (unarmed) practice mission where I keep getting shot down. I just saw you posting on another thread that the idea in that one is to evade even getting shot at so I have a few new ways to approach it now.

What would be really cool is if you were able to film yourself doing the cross wind landing one successfully so we can see how it's done. I have tried it about 10 times and either slam into the mountain or realise I have flown miles wide of the runway.  I can't try it again as I'm going to throw my joystick through the monitor!  Would love to see how it is done properly.  For now I have used the mission editor to create a duplicate without all the wind as it will be a good way to practice non-visual landings.

Would also be good to show how you do the unarmed practice mission as well although I'm going to keep trying that one. 

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

No smashing into mountains with the wind turned off. Will gradually ramp it up to practice. It’s quite a nice mission with it off to practice a blind landing. 

I've installed tracview now as well so will use that to try and figure out where I’m going wrong on the practice mission. 

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

8 hours ago, chumpeagle said:

doing the cross wind landing one successfully so we can see how it's done

Here's a track of my take on #07 ILS challenge. Save it in your \saved games\dcs\tracks\ and play in DCS Replay menu.

07.trk

• Thanks 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria