DCS: F-14 Development Update - Enter the -A!

Cobra847

MAK-79 will coming with -A release?i think we better have a USS Enterprise LoL instead of all of 4 Forrestal.:music_whistling:

I wonder this too. floating bombs are very annoying and this problem exists for so long

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Any informations about the Modex of the A? Are they dynamic now on the A?

Or a few skins for each livery, each with a diffrent modex number?

And what about the B now, when the A is coming?

Is the B getting also some more skins for each livery, that there were more numbers to choose instead of four cats flying with same board numbers in formation? This looks awful.

Whats in general for the B and liverys? Are there some additions planned in the close future? Some HiViz/CAG Birds coming? Or maybe the legendary Santa Cats for Jolly Gogers and Fighting Checkmates?

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

Any informations about the Modex of the A? Are they dynamic now on the A?

Or a few skins for each livery, each with a diffrent modex number?

And what about the B now, when the A is coming?

Is the B getting also some more skins for each livery, that there were more numbers to choose instead of four cats flying with same board numbers in formation? This looks awful.

Whats in general for the B and liverys? Are there some additions planned in the close future? Some HiViz/CAG Birds coming? Or maybe the legendary Santa Cats for Jolly Gogers and Fighting Checkmates?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307339/

There is a plethora of B skins in the download section. Check them out if you have not already!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

The issue with the dynamic modex numbers is two fold. 1st,while there was a standard, most of the F-14 squadrons ignored this standard for some or all of their time in the Tomcat, with different variations on size, placement, and typeface used. To have even the most common options, there would have to be several entries on the .lua for each one and several placement areas on the models. That takes up data space. 2nd, dynamic numbers in DCS lack proper kerning. Not an issue with straight block numerals, but most of the time, the F-14 modex numbers were slanted. Without proper kerning to handle the overlap, the modex numbers will stretch out and look ridiculous. While some people might be okay with simple block letters to have dynamic modexes, at least half of the community will scream if their favorite liveries don't look right.

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307339/

There is a plethora of B skins in the download section. Check them out if you have not already!

I have and they look awesome but downloadable content is no solution.

The liverys must be a part of the official game.

This downloadable content doesn't work in multiplayer.

Regarding the Modex number: I dont understand the problem.

Yes there were variations on size, placement, and typeface.

Just implement this into the game.

If it's not possible like ED did it for the Hornet, then go on with more skins for each livery, like its already done for the Swordsmen with 101 to 103.

My simple qestions are there more skins liveries planned for the B to extend the modex numbers for each livery? And maybe add som new liveries for the B in general like the Santa Cats, CAG Birds, ...

Or is the B skin-wise complete?

Maybe do a Skin Contest and choose the best Community skins to add to the official game.

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

The issue with the dynamic modex numbers is two fold. 1st,while there was a standard, most of the F-14 squadrons ignored this standard for some or all of their time in the Tomcat, with different variations on size, placement, and typeface used. To have even the most common options, there would have to be several entries on the .lua for each one and several placement areas on the models. That takes up data space. 2nd, dynamic numbers in DCS lack proper kerning. Not an issue with straight block numerals, but most of the time, the F-14 modex numbers were slanted. Without proper kerning to handle the overlap, the modex numbers will stretch out and look ridiculous. While some people might be okay with simple block letters to have dynamic modexes, at least half of the community will scream if their favorite liveries don't look right.

These are excellent points, but this appears to be a classic case where perfect is the enemy of good enough. Dynamic modexes that meet most organizational standards make up the 90% solution, and modexes that don't conform could be static (which is exactly what we have now and therefore no worse off). What you describe regarding the italics makes sense, and since enough tomcat squadrons italicized their modexes, HB could add a second set of dynamic modex numbers with the top corners skewed. This would take care of the kerning and people would still use a non-italicized font for the modex font.

I have and they look awesome but downloadable content is no solution.

The liverys must be a part of the official game.

This downloadable content doesn't work in multiplayer.

Downloaded skins work just fine in MP (I use them all the time)...but you and the people you're flying with all need to have the same liveries downloaded.

That being said, of course it would be more convenient to have at least a couple squadrons with dynamic modex numbers if it is ever possible.

Downloaded skins work just fine in MP (I use them all the time)...but you and the people you're flying with all need to have the same liveries downloaded.

That being said, of course it would be more convenient to have at least a couple squadrons with dynamic modex numbers if it is ever possible.

OT, but what do you see if you don’t have the skin that someone else has? Does it fallback to the default livery or basic textures with no detail? Never noticed this before.

OT, but what do you see if you don’t have the skin that someone else has? Does it fallback to the default livery or basic textures with no detail? Never noticed this before.

There is usually a default skin it falls back to, in the case of the 14B it's the VF103 last ride skin.

• Like 1

Yes, its not visible to any other player on the server. So downloadable content is not an option.

It must be official game content.

And if it's not possible to make this field for modex dynamic then go ahead like HB did it with the Swordsmen. They made three skins for that livery. Add a forth and expand this multi-skin-per-livery for each squadron and its ok.

Its not the best solution, but its better then now.

The actual collection of B-skkins looks really unready - some Squadrons with Hi and LowViz, some with missing HiViz and just the LowViz, Some with multi-skin-per-livery and some without.

This lack of quality is not what I am expecting from HB, after they did everything else with perfection.

HB should just add some community skins to their modul.

Its just a short simple Question.

Please somebody of HB just answer with "yes" or "no".

Are there more Skins/liverys in scope to add to the B?

New Skins like CAG Birds and Santa Cats (High Priority to the Santa Cats)?

More skins to each livery with diffrent modex like the Swordsmens 101 to 103?

Could have have some hope? Or is the chapter closed for the B?

Just a little "yes" or "no".

Thank you.

I'm against flooding us with every possible skin made. They already take a few GBs with fictional Chrome and Xmass stuff. If you have a squad you're free to use all the skins you want in MP - that's a few players which have to download skins - not whole community.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I'm against flooding us with every possible skin made. They already take a few GBs with fictional Chrome and Xmass stuff. If you have a squad you're free to use all the skins you want in MP - that's a few players which have to download skins - not whole community.

That's how I look at it as well. Couldn't care less if all my flight members have the same modex number when flying form. Heatblur already provides like 2-3 squadrons with 2-3 modex variation jets. More than enough for 99% of people.

• Like 1

Yes, its not visible to any other player on the server. So downloadable content is not an option.

It must be official game content.

And if it's not possible to make this field for modex dynamic then go ahead like HB did it with the Swordsmen. They made three skins for that livery. Add a forth and expand this multi-skin-per-livery for each squadron and its ok.

Its not the best solution, but its better then now.

The actual collection of B-skkins looks really unready - some Squadrons with Hi and LowViz, some with missing HiViz and just the LowViz, Some with multi-skin-per-livery and some without.

This lack of quality is not what I am expecting from HB, after they did everything else with perfection.

HB should just add some community skins to their modul.

Its just a short simple Question.

Please somebody of HB just answer with "yes" or "no".

Are there more Skins/liverys in scope to add to the B?

New Skins like CAG Birds and Santa Cats (High Priority to the Santa Cats)?

More skins to each livery with diffrent modex like the Swordsmens 101 to 103?

Could have have some hope? Or is the chapter closed for the B?

Just a little "yes" or "no".

Thank you.

We might add a few, but tbh there is not that many B skins in general. Most of the existing B skins are simply in, if you find more, please send us pictures.

We will not add 4 liveries per skin, as this would make the tomcat like, 20+ GB... Just not an option. We might do 4 skin versions as a downloadble option though, for squads or those who would like to use them.

Dynamic modexes is still something we're trying to wrap our heads around. As ya'll know, we do not like half-baked solutions. The reason for this is not only "perfectionism", but much rather sustainability. Every wholesome, fundamental solution for a problem such as this, can mean a "new technology" that can be re-used later, for future modules, etc.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 5

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Are there plans to add earlier spec missiles for these? For example AIM-9G/H & AIM-7E-4s for the USN F-14A, and AIM-9J/P & AIM-7E for the IRIAF F-14A?

Yes - where/if feasible/applicable.

• Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

We might add a few, but tbh there is not that many B skins in general. Most of the existing B skins are simply in, if you find more, please send us pictures.

Hey IronMike,

big thank you for your reply and your feedback.

There were lot of skins for the B which were not included by now, but I don't want to spam you, so I decided for just the following four liveries, which I think will round up the livery-offer of the B finally:

01: VF-11 Red Rippers - I think the head of the boar is so iconic and it deserves to be presented in color.

redrippers.PNG.badd780d303dc0c9243bbd68aef8bdad.PNG

02: VF-32 Fighting Swordsmen - Same as the Red Rippers, this sword is so simple but at the same time so iconic. I really think we need the HiViz Livery. It also offers the No 100 as an addition to our 101,102 and 103. Would fit perfect.

swordsmen.PNG.b340f12fa32e34d8e7500ceb722ba6fe.PNG

03: VF-103 Jolly Rogers (Santa Cat) - I think there was also an early version of the Santa Cat in the 90s, but this version of 2000 has the legendary "Seasons Greetings" Fuel Tanks and looks just stunning. I think everyone will agree.

To add such an iconic special livery of everyones favourite squadron really underlines the Quality and the Love to Detail of HB. Its November and Christmas is getting close. Adding this on a surprise update on Christmas Eve would be :xmas:

jollyrogers2.PNG.f39fd5f32d5bd2b6e3fccb713734f030.PNGjollyrogers22.PNG.72f894ec886ece66c8eafc13a9f98a46.PNG

04: VF-103 Jolly Rogers - This is some kind of special livery, which I dont know much about. It seems to be from I think its last days. Maybe someone knows a bit more of those Cat and has some diffrent pictures.

It seems that both the left and the right tail units have slightly different livery with different quotes. Especcially the left side (second picture) brings kind od conclusion to the squadron and sum up its history.

The VF-103 for the B, the VF-84 for the upcoming A and to the even earlier VFs, which go back to I think WW2 era. It really looks cool and kind of Special. Really hard to find some information about it.

Would be a cool addition to the first three skins in this list and would be a really special insider bonus livery which you definitely wont find in other Tomcat Sims.

But if there were not enough pictures or knowledge about this livery, it's ok if you just give the first three livery suggestions a try.

jollyrogers11.PNG.602678bb79649744194d2eec5063e2f2.PNGjollyrogers1.PNG.1e2cbca6007d19e041064f76b428163b.PNG

Again big Thank you.

Really appreciate it.

Maybe someone of the community aggrees or disagrees and have suggestions for other missing B skins, which were important for the Legacy of the Tomcat.

I think some of those four livery were also designed by the community. Maybe you can get in contact with the creators and add them on next update to the official module, if you dont want to redo them by yourself.

Of course after a quality check.

Also really cool to hear about the dynamic modex.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks and stay healthy.

PS: Really looking forward to your comeback fight on 28th November:smilewink:

Yes, thats what I've mentioned.

Now we need to find a way to get the most interesting ones into the game.

If HB has no interest in redoing them, maybe IronMike and his team can contact the creators and they get a deal to add the most interesting skins out of those packs to the official module.

I think ED also did some of those community skin contests in the past for the Anton. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But if HB wants to create them by their own, please go ahead. Their work on skins looks awesome to this point.

If it will be just around 4 liveries, I'd be happy with it.

jollyrogers111.PNG.99ffaceb04d7336f3db446a5f0a70f41.PNG